Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brian Cowen - A Traitor To Those That Died In 1916?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭MarkGrisham

The government's ****ed up the country but they've painted us into a corner. It's take the handout or go under. In any case, our sovereignty's been sliding away since we joined the EU way back when.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Dorcha wrote: »
    Even though I didn't vote for it, I think you're being a bit simplistic. People were frightened into voting for it by the three main parties. Under such pressure, it's not surprising that people voted the way they did. They trusted those people.

I voted for Lisbon and I'd do it again if there was another referendum. The idea that our Government bringing our economy to the edge of a cliff isn't an argument against Lisbon.

Over and over I see people make ridiculous posts on forums in topics about EU rulings that they don't agree with or whatever saying something like "thanks Lisbon" when in reality the EU-related event had absolutely nothing to do with what Lisbon was about.

Anyway, this is an extremely old thread but just had to reply to your post when I saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Biffo has no right to be in that job anyway.
    There should have been a re-election after Ahern slinked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kpaddypete

I think you are all very unfair to Mr. Cowen. He is on an hourly rate of only €26.15.
    Oh hold on, that's €26.15 for each of the 8,760 hours in the year. But, let's face it; he is worth it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

The government's ****ed up the country but they've painted us into a corner. It's take the handout or go under. In any case, our sovereignty's been sliding away since we joined the EU way back when.

Wrong.

If we take this bailout at the rates that are being suggested then we are sunk.
    Fianna Fail insistence that we, the tax payer, pay back every cent of private bondholders money will lead to the destruction of society in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Joe7

What is it with this stupid fUcking forum and 1916?

Infantile rubbish, the whole thing. The people who think they're being serious minded are the dumbest of all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

1916 is immaterial.

Cowen is a traitor to this country, full stop.
    You cand add Bertie Ahern and Charles J Haughey to that list of traitors too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Necro-thread! :pac: The bye-elections have been sorted now, can we close this thread?

Aaa.. no, the by-elections have not been sorted.
    One is finalising, the other two have yet to be held and at still at court stage!
    Also seeing now that we will be stuck with FF and co till March at the very least (if they can drag their themselves on any longer, you can be sure they will!).
    By-election threat to coalition

The beleaguered Fianna Fail-Green Party coalition Government could see its hold on power weakened as voters go to the polls in a hotly contested by-election.

A parliamentary seat in the Donegal South West constituency became vacant 18 months ago when Fianna Fail's Pat "The Cope" Gallagher was elected an MEP.

Sinn Fein's Pearse Doherty launched a successful legal challenge to force the Government to hold the delayed by-election and he is now favourite to seize the seat. The result of the contest is by no means certain, but if Mr Doherty can win in the staunchly Fianna Fail region it will erode the Dublin administration's narrow two-seat majority.

This fresh danger comes at a time when backbenchers and independents are already threatening to vote against the Government's tough economic measures. Donegal South West is a largely rural area hit by high unemployment, emigration and a weakened fishing industry.

The poll comes a day after the Government unveiled its austere four-year recovery plan, promising three billion euro in social welfare cuts, a rise in tax and the axing of 25,000 public sector jobs.
    Taoiseach Brian Cowen warned that no-one could be sheltered from his last-ditch 15 billion euro economic recovery plan as he clings to power.

The announcement comes as European officials, plus representatives of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), are in Dublin negotiating an additional 85 billion euro rescue package to help bail out the economy and its crippled banking sector.

Under such unprecedented pressure the Fianna Fail candidate Brian O Domhnaill faces a huge task in holding the seat for his party, but given traditional Fianna Fail support in the area, a win against the odds could not be ruled out.

Fine Gael is represented by Barry O'Neill, while Labour candidate Frank McBrearty gained prominence through his family's successful campaign against police harassment. Former Sinn Fein member Thomas Pringle is standing as an independent. A further independent candidate, Ann Sweeney, has withdrawn from the contest.
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20101125/tuk-by-election-threat-to-coalition-e1cd776.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

He isn't a traitor that died in 1916, pure slurry a comment like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

flynnlives wrote: »
    Wrong.

Fianna Fail insistence that we, the tax payer, pay back every cent of private bondholders money will lead to the destruction of society in this country.

We should never have bailed out the banks in the first place, Our economy will now die a slow and painful death over the next few decades. If we'd let them go under we might have had some serious problems for a while but at least we'd have dealt with them by now instead of just stalling them for the next 30/40/50 years. We could have been on the road to recovery :mad:

Anyone else think we need a party to tell the banks to fcuk off, not accept the European bailout (which to be honest is just to keep the banks afloat, not help the Irish people) and start working on a real future for our country ? The alternative as I see it is to stick our fingers in our ears and pretend that putting the economy on life support will make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭MarkGrisham

flynnlives wrote: »
    Wrong.

Hence my point that they've painted us into a corner. We're insanely dependent on the bonds market for state funding. The options now are to take the bailout and hope the interest doesn't kill the country or to default and risk bond holders staying away in droves and not getting in money anyway. Screwed if we do, screwed if we don't.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Biggins wrote: »
    That to be is absolutely disgusting and those that are still teaching us history by making it in 1916 - are today turning in their graves!

Least we forget!

Zombie Trite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Maybe it is better that they stay in power to push thrugh the forur year plan andthe budget. If a new government comes in and the first thing they have to do is make massive cuts in wages and increase taxes any goodwill they have is gone immediately.
    At least this way a new government can come in and start with the favour of the people behind them. They get time before people start to hate them. At least this way they can get things done. They can even reverse a few of the decisions that FF made and really have people on there side.
    Only an idiot would want to get the job of running the country now just before these massive cuts have to be made. I believe that the best thing for Ireland right now is that FF stay in power long enough to put through these cuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

In our many fights for freedom, anyone who betrayed our cause for freedom was punished... Death, Banishment ..Scorn... How can these cnuts that help Destroyed our State, our Freedom expect any less...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

A few weeks ago I might have disagreed but given recent disclosures the word 'Traitor' is appropriate.

They have brought us to ruin. Brian lenihan looking at the camera yesterday saying 'We all partied' was unacceptable. a) no we did not you cúnt. b) if we had done so that would not excuse your catalogue of disastrous responses at every turn which have snowballed a 'fúck up' into a national economic meltdown right up there with post versailles weimar germany.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dorcha

Mark200 wrote: »
    I voted for Lisbon and I'd do it again if there was another referendum. The idea that our Government bringing our economy to the edge of a cliff isn't an argument against Lisbon.

Over and over I see people make ridiculous posts on forums in topics about EU rulings that they don't agree with or whatever saying something like "thanks Lisbon" when in reality the EU-related event had absolutely nothing to do with what Lisbon was about.

Anyway, this is an extremely old thread but just had to reply to your post when I saw it.

I never said that the actions of the government were a reason for voting against Lisbon. What gave you that impression? It wasn't unhappiness with the government that made me vote against it. I had quite different reasons for doing so.

Advertisement