Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER HOLS 2010

Options
  • 06-05-2010 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭

hi all looking for cheap and cheerful ideas for family orientated summer trip away in ireland or preferably abroad in the sun hehe

me(dad)
    mum
    2 girls
    1 boy

anything cost concious

activities for the whole family not just the kids :p:p:p:p

have you all got something lined up

regards brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

hi all looking for cheap and cheerful ideas for family orientated summer trip away in ireland or preferably abroad in the sun hehe

me(dad)
    mum
    2 girls
    1 boy

anything cost concious

activities for the whole family not just the kids :p:p:p:p

have you all got something lined up

regards brian

2 adults + 2 children.
    I booked a siblu campsite in France in June. Got the most expensive accommodation they had for 7 nights- €360. There are much cheaper options. If you have any Tesco vouchers trade them in for 4 times their value. I had a €200 voucher.
    Flights €260.
    Car Hire €280.
    Haven't been on a holiday like this before. There seems to be plenty to do for the kids.
    Worked out around €700 incl voucher. Hopefully the volcano doesn't stop us though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

your leaving it a bit late to go over seas as the prices have gone up.

2 adults 3 kids

Im doing a keycamp 3 week trip to the south of France, villagrand 3 bed moblies including decking,

1.5 weeks in languedoc and 1.5 weeks in cote d'azur

accommodaton €1295
    flights €700.00 (now over 1500)
    car hire ford cmax €429 for 3 weeks

plenty of stuf on sites for kids and loads of water slides.

planning on horse riding in the pyrenees, visit to carcassonne, wine tasting, trip to Andorra, trip to the fort that is on the Spanish border, also will try to fit in the cathar castles then in cote d azur and to monaco, helicopter trip over Monaco , trip to eze (fantastic views), trip to canyon verdon including white river rafting, trip to marineland to see killer whales, dolphins and seals, trip to island where the man in the iron mask was kept sets off from cannes, trip to antibes to go onto the glass bottomed boat and visit the harbour, trip to grasse to make purfume. oh and a visit to nimmes roman amphitheater, think that makes up are 3 weeks of adventure.

next year of to Egypt but only for 2 weeks.

Last year did a haven holiday in devon, went to majorca for week (defo will go there again) great for kids...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Fantastic south of france holiday, but will be expensive. Am very well aquainted with the region.Prices are fairly high in the Cote D'Azur and traffic appalling during the summer months. Monaco is so unbelievably hot, as there are mountains on one side and the Med on the other, so no breezes at all. Not discouraging, just a couple of things to bear in mind that might make your trip easier!
    Try water surfing/hire a boat off Nice/Cannes/Antibes, definitely worth it for a day.Go to St Paul de Vence or Menton (picasso spent a lot of time there, the food is amazing!)...hilltop villages, look fantastic.Try the public pool in Monaco harbour - olympic size with slides etc.
    Enjoy!

Can't hire a boat as we both get sea sick. Only short little trips are ok. Were thinking of a canal boat in languedoc as there isn't much motion( hired a boat in Florida at disneys port Orleans hotel and went on the canal there for an hour and we didn't get motion sickness)

we got a great book on things to do frommers Provence & cote d azur with you family guide. Very good guide book.

Sorry if anythings misspelt I'm on the iPod touch and the screen isn't very big. Can't wait for the holiday hope the ash cloud is gone in 2 months. Thanx for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

kc66 wrote: »
    2 adults + 2 children.
    I booked a siblu campsite in France in June. Got the most expensive accommodation they had for 7 nights- €360. There are much cheaper options. If you have any Tesco vouchers trade them in for 4 times their value. I had a €200 voucher.
    Flights €260.
    Car Hire €280.
    Haven't been on a holiday like this before. There seems to be plenty to do for the kids.
    Worked out around €700 incl voucher. Hopefully the volcano doesn't stop us though.

I hate to sound disbelieving but I assume that's €700 per person?

• Advertisement

MojoMaker wrote: »
    I hate to sound disbelieving but I assume that's €700 per person?

No thats for 2 adults and 2 kids. I worked it out at a time when accommodation and flights were not too expensive-
    Ryanair flights €260
    Car Hire €280
    Accomm €360
    =€900
    Voucher -€200
    =€700

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

your leaving it a bit late to go over seas as the prices have gone up.

hi yes that is correct however unfortunately original plans fell through due to unexpected illness

looking for any suggestions for nice family orientated break in the sun that may be under the €1500 mark
    ( total all inclusive, flights,accom. etc. ) for the entire family as i said before --- myself, partner, 3 kids

regards brian

hi yes that is correct however unfortunately original plans fell through due to unexpected illness

looking for any suggestions for nice family orientated break in the sun that may be under the €1500 mark
    ( total all inclusive, flights,accom. etc. ) for the entire family as i said before --- myself, partner, 3 kids

regards brian

also kids ages 18, 15, 11

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

2 Adults, 1 Child, 1 Infant here.

Just booked 5 nights in Albufeira, Portugal for €833.26 for apartment, ryanair flights and rental of a Seat Ibiza.

Got the hotel on laterooms.com for €168, the car hire from a great company that I've used before called www.carhire3000.ie for €111.18 and flights were the most expensive part of it at 554.08.

I reckon if I'd booked the flights further in advance (I booked this last Monday and we fly out on Sunday) I could have swung the whole thing for under €600.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    2 Adults, 1 Child, 1 Infant here.

Just booked 5 nights in Albufeira, Portugal for €833.26 for apartment, ryanair flights and rental of a Seat Ibiza.

Got the hotel on laterooms.com for €168, the car hire from a great company that I've used before called www.carhire3000.ie for €111.18 and flights were the most expensive part of it at 554.08.

I reckon if I'd booked the flights further in advance (I booked this last Monday and we fly out on Sunday) I could have swung the whole thing for under €600.

my dearest fellow you are a genius :D:p

good 1 mate unfortunately links not working for me at the mo:confused::confused::confused: will try again later cheers Brian

kc66 wrote: »
    No thats for 2 adults and 2 kids. I worked it out at a time when accommodation and flights were not too expensive-
    Ryanair flights €260
    Car Hire €280
    Accomm €360
    =€900
    Voucher -€200
    =€700

nice 1 mate

The sessions timed out on all 3....

go to ryanair look at flights from dublin to biarritz 12th of june ofr 1 week, http://www.ryanair.com/ie

also go into ryanair hertz car hire for 1 week. go into the 1/3 off...

http://www.hertz4ryanair.com/default.aspx?id=130173&LinkType=RYAN&TargetType=Homepage&POS=IE&lang=en&PULoc=

http://www.keycamp.ie/index.cfm?fuseaction=Campsites.regionMap&ver=6&MapID=43&campingholiday=Gascony

key camp holidays in gascony near biarritz.... 12th of june for 1 week all under 500 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Definitely shop around for the car hire, the quote I gave above for carhire3000 was less than half what Hertz/Ryanair were going to charge me for a slightly smaller car with no air-con.

The big guys are definitely charging on the basis that most people won't even bother to check prices from their competitors when Ryanair divert them to Hertz etc.

The cheapest car rental for what I wanted was www.argusrentals.com.

Advertisement