Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's the Better Band? Rush, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree or Opeth

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It's like you deliberately took 3 of my absolute favourite bands and asked this question to piss me off....

I couldn't possibly choose to be honest, while they have similarities, they are very different bands and each offer a different angle.

Musical geniuses each is all I'll say.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Rush ... no contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

This is a horrible thread! How can we make such choices? You fiend! :(

I picked Dream Theater, I probably do prefer them, but I don't really think they're better... Just, I dunno. Nasty question. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Sorry lads.. :( :pac:

Its tough question alright as all 3 bands have some similarities but are yet so so different..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

From the early 90's to about ten years ago the answer from me would have been Dream Theater with no hesitation. I was hooked on Images And Words when it came out, and the cassette was on heavy rotation in my walkman for months.

Today in 2010 it is Porcupine Tree that gets the nod from me.

Mainly because I find their music more engaging nowadays, but in terms of technical ability etc then I would find it very hard to split them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'm slightly biased so had to say Porcupine Tree. I find their music a lot more interesting, especially with my point of view on the world (namely FoaBP). I find the atmosphere in their songs plays a huge part, all down to Barbieri. Gavin is, well, Gavin.

Don't want to take it away from them in any way though. Rush were the catalyst for both bands, so that cannot undermine them. Dream Theater are masters in the heavy sections (although I still think that when PT do metal, they do it better than anyone else). I can't comment on Rush now, but live, PT are monsters, saw them and DT in successive days, so could compare well:D So in the pressure cooker atmosphere of having to vote, it had to be Porcupine Tree for me.

Another chance to plug this dvd:D

A slightly more sane hour, so a better reply from me is warranted I think.

Here's my take on them:

Rush have a more upbeat sound to them, closer to classic rock (which isn't particularly surprising). Based around cracking guitar riffs, tricky drums and catchy bass lines, not to mention great solos from all three and superb vocals from Geddy, they're a very easy band to get into. The role they played in the development in progressive metal can't be understated, and it's possible our other two bands wouldn't have the same sound if it weren't for these guys.

Dream Theater would be the heaviest and most technically proficient of the three in my opinion. In Petrucci, Rudess, Portnoy and Myung we've 4 of the best in metal for their respective instruments (though I do like Kevin Moore's stuff aswell :)) and some of the solos are ridiculous (instrumental wankery is a term I'v heard :D). Lyrics tend to vary between Philosophical and more personal, which I like.

Porcupine Tree in contrast I feel sacrifice technicality, which they're well capable of and do show when appropriate, for a more atmospheric effect. They don't pick a style and stick with it, instead show a huge range of different sounds. Lyrical themes tend to be a lot more personal, which results in them being a lot more lyrical based than the other 2. Another huge plus for me is that they do concept albums brilliantly.

I voted for Porcupine Tree in the end, as I've been listening to them loads the last few months. But if this poll came up last year or comes up next year my answer could easily be different. The winner of the poll is irrelevant to me anyway, they're all worthy victors and the real winners are us for getting to listen to them :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Tough choice but it's Rush for me.

If it wasn't for them DT and PT probably wouldn't exist. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

not enough choices tbh,

theres a new band of up and coming youngsters called "metallica"... hope i got the name right. you guys who like rock and or roll should check them out sometime. maybe pick up a tape or two.

• Advertisement

AlcoholicA wrote: »
    not enough choices tbh,

theres a new band of up and coming youngsters called "metallica"... hope i got the name right. you guys who like rock and or roll should check them out sometime. maybe pick up a tape or two.

This is just purposefully limited to these 3 cos of some off-topic stuff in the Iron Maiden gig thread.

Besides, who wants Metallica coming ruining the good names of these bands?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

not enough choices tbh,

Relating threads back to your fave band at every given opportunity.........GUILTY!

Oh I heard those guys got a new bassist, could just be a rumour.

PS I picked Dream Theatre but I like em all.

not enough choices tbh,

Who??`
    Come back to me when Metallica become relevant to music again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

well its apparent rush/dream theater/porcupine tree fans have no humour?

edit: the post was sarcasm, how every topic relates back to metallica on this forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

This was like choosing between 3 children... I just ended up clicking an option at random. There all gods in my eyes.

Just looking at wiki now, Alex Lifeson was a guest guitarist on FoaBP :)

More importantly Alex Lifeson was in Trailer Park Boys:cool::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

well its apparent rush/dream theater/porcupine tree fans have no humour?

edit: the post was sarcasm, how every topic relates back to metallica on this forum...
    I was thinking "Don't make me have to shove a bunch of posts into the Metallica thread again" :).

On topic, the only one of the three I've listened to much is Dream Theater so I'd have to go with them out of familiarity, not necessarily that they are better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 stroopy

Such a hard decision! I think i'll have to go with DT though, but i really adore all 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

DT went down (a tiny, tiny, infiniteismally small bit) in my book when Portnoy drummed on Avenged Sevenfold's new album. Clicked Rush because I'm listening to nothing but lately. Dont know enough Porcupine Tree to justify it, but I'll look them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Tough question. I personaly love them all, but Dream Theater are my absolute favourites, so I voted for them.

The OP has a wicked streak ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Baggio1

Rush!!!..no contest :)

Hmmm...Porcupine Tree are laying some countries they haven't played in quite a long time now. These include Greece, Czech Republic, Israel. Dear God please say Ireland gets added on to the list.

Mushy wrote: »
    Hmmm...Porcupine Tree are laying some countries they haven't played in quite a long time now. These include Greece, Czech Republic, Israel. Dear God please say Ireland gets added on to the list.

Have they ever played here Mushy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

I can't believe you needed to look a wiki to know that ... have you not listened to the solo in Anesthetize !!!! ... awesomeness.

Have they ever played here Mushy?

Around 2001/2002 in TBMC. Apparently only half full, so has erred them away from playing here again. Ask Karl about it, he was at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

"In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Have Rush ever played in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

RayCon wrote: »
    Rush ... no contest.

I agree. For me I never had much interest in Dream Theater, and I find their music very self indulgent and forgettable, (apart from some of Images And Words) but each to his/her own. Rush on the other hand are fantastic and none of their songs feel self indulgent or boring to me. I also think that albums like '2112, Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures' are some of the very best prog rock albums ever made.

• Advertisement

Have Rush ever played in Ireland?

Nope never, not even in the Seventies when they recorded some of their albums in Wales.. I remember reading something once( might have been total BS ) That said they wouldnt play here because of the IRA..

Advertisement