Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's the Better Band? Rush, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree or Opeth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

I agree. For me I never had much interest in Dream Theater, and I find their music very self indulgent and forgettable, (apart from some of Images And Words) but each to his/her own. Rush on the other hand are fantastic and none of their songs feel self indulgent or boring to me. I also think that albums like '2112, Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures' are some of the very best prog rock albums ever made.

The thing for me personally about DT is the fact that every single one of their Albums is of an unbelievably high standard, with at least 7 of their 10 albums being bona fined classics (I&W, Awake,Scenes, ToT, 6DOIT,Octavarium and Black Clouds) Unfortunately no other band on the Planet including Rush, can say that..

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

The thing for me personally about DT is the fact that every single one of their Albums is of an unbelievably high standard, with at least 7 of their 10 albums being bona fined classics (I&W, Awake,Scenes, ToT, 6DOIT,Octavarium and Black Clouds) Unfortunately no other band on the Planet including Rush, can say that..

I didn't realize that. Even though Rush are a fantastic band they did go downhill a lot after 'Signals' and then got back on track for the rather excellent 'Counter Parts' album. I wasn't that mad about any of the albums after 'Counter Parts' though, including the much more recent stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ChairmanWow

Dream Theatre are too noodly, Porcupine Tree too poncy. Rush are a real man's band

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I love all of them! In the end, it was a tossup between DT and Rush, and I had to give DT the nod.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Polls closed but Dream Theater for me. Like both of the others, but a bit obsessed with DT, so no contest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Hmm, on recent reflection, methinks Opeth should have been added to that list. They can hold their own with any band on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I can reopen and modify the poll if necessary to add Opeth if that's what posters want and if it's okay with waltersobchak since it's his poll after all.

Malice_ wrote: »
    I can reopen and modify the poll if necessary to add Opeth if that's what posters want and if it's okay with waltersobchak since it's his poll after all.

Yeah thats awesome:cool:

Yeah thats awesome:cool:
    Okay, assuming I haven't broken anything, Opeth has been added and the poll has been reset. Anyone that voted before should vote again.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It's been reset but says I've already voted and wont let me vote again :o

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

That's odd, I was able to vote just there for Opeth. Having said that, I can't remember if I voted on the original poll!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Rush are easily the best of them.For Christ sake they have Geddy Lee!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Adding Opeth really doesn't make the poll any easier to decide on though :P

I love the bands there, despite only getting into Rush and Porcupine Tree more recently.

I suppose I can take it from the perspective that Opeth have influenced me the most in terms of my own song writing. I think Mikael has a beautiful, flowing songwriting style.

So I guess I'll vote Opeth, but as most people on the thread can agree. They're all amazing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Rud wrote: »

Rush are easily the best of them.For Christ sake they have Geddy Lee!!!
    Geddy = GOD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

DREAM THEATRE :) Well for me anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Same here. Any chance you can add a vote for Opeth from me, Malice?

Patricide wrote: »
    Geddy = GOD.

"I AM GEDDY LEE .. And I will sing whatever lyric's I want..":pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Yay, now with added Opeth.

Closely followed by PT, I was on a mad PT buzz until The Incident came out, its not a bad album but I suppose it didnt meet my expectations.Great band live, tho in saying that I all 4 bands cut the mustard live.

One of the best songs ever.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

As much as I love Opeth, I'd still stick to PT. We all know Opeth's best (arguably) album came from a prominent PT member:D

Mushy wrote: »
    As much as I love Opeth, I'd still stick to PT. We all know Opeth's best (arguably) album came from a prominent PT member:D

Ah well he just helped in the production of it really :P Not so much the song writing.

Although he did completely save their as in relation to Deliverance.

• Advertisement

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Ah well he just helped in the production of it really :P Not so much the song writing.

Although he did completely save their as in relation to Deliverance.

Ah yeah, I'm just riling up the bigger Opeth fans. Had a good talk with Mikael bout PT after the Olympia gig.

Nea, I, like the majority of PT fans, weren't gone on The Incident when it came out. Hearing/seeing it live, well its just a different animal altogether. I heard enough Opeth/DT/PT stuff in a short space of time live, but this was easily the best bit.

Had a good talk with Mikael bout PT after the Olympia gig.

I must admit I'm quite jealous :D

What's he like to talk to? For some reason I always got the idea he isn't too pushed on talking to fans.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Voted Opeth, saw them live before with Cynic and The Ocean, thought it was a great show.

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    I must admit I'm quite jealous :D

What's he like to talk to? For some reason I always got the idea he isn't too pushed on talking to fans.

He's hilarious, they were all coo,to talk to. Everyone was silent cos of it being him, he had The Incident vinyl special edition so asked him where he got it. Then went on to talking bout their live show, the tour they were doing, and how I had seen them support DT in London few days previously. Cool conversation, funny guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Dream Theater have gone so far downhill as to almost become a parody of themselves.

Also since the question seems to be in the present tense, that pretty much eliminates Rush.

That leaves Porcupine Tree vs Opeth. Porcupine Tree win for having a bigger and better discography, and for putting more effort into their presentation (album art, concept, visuals etc). They're pretty much equal live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭ShumanTheHuman

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Also since the question seems to be in the present tense, that pretty much eliminates Rush.

What's that supposed to mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Mushy, so jealous you met Mike, would love to meet him.

Agreed that I would like to hear The Incident live, I hope they get their arses over here soon, there is definately a bigger fanbase here now.

I was hoping they would be added to Sonisphere Spain as they had nothing in their schedule for Spain, fingers crossed I will see them soon:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 TheVoid

rgt320q wrote: »
    Same here. Any chance you can add a vote for Opeth from me, Malice?
    Ah crap, must be a "feature" of polls. Sure we'll just declare Opeth the winner and leave it at that :p

Awaiting flaming from legions of Dream Theater, Rush and Porcupine Tree fans

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

A
    Nea, I, like the majority of PT fans, weren't gone on The Incident when it came out. Hearing/seeing it live, well its just a different animal altogether.
    I quite like the incident as an album, doesn't quite have the same stand out individual songs as previous albums though. I'd say it's class live.

Not as mad about Opeth as I would the other three, partly due to not being mad about the vocals. Still pretty good though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement