Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

St Pauli - a refreshingly alternative club

• 06-05-2010 2:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭

One of my housemates is a German girl and the other evening we got talking football. I mentioned how my team was aiming for PL promotion. Turns out her ''special club'' St Pauli, were also on the verge of promotion, back to the Bundesliga. She continued to rave about how its the most popular club for female football fans in Germany and how thoroughly radical as an institution the club is. I knew the name but didn't know anything much about them, so i did some digging and am well impressed with what i've found. They seem to be quite unique.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_St._Pauli

There's also this article from today's BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2010/05/st_pauli_ready_to_hoist_the_jo.html
    St Pauli ready to hoist the Jolly Roger over the Bundesliga

It's been a week of mixed emotions in Hamburg.

On one side of the city the fans of Hamburger SV are still bemoaning their lost opportunities last Thursday.

Rather than the Rothosen - red shorts - it will be Fulham who will contest the Europa League final against Atletico Madrid in their own Nordbank Arena on May 12 after Hamburg's 2-1 defeat at Craven Cottage.

However, in the areas down by the docks and the famous Reeperbahn, or should I say infamous depending on your point of view, there has been unrestrained joy over the last day or so from the fans of cross-city rivals FC St. Pauli.
    The smiles are not just because of the Craven Cottage comeuppance of Hamburg, the club that famously beat Juventus 1-0 to win the European Cup in 1983, but after a 4-1 away win at Furth on Sunday, arguably Europe's most atypical professional club are heading back to the Bundesliga after an absence of eight years.

More than 9,000 St Pauli fans followed their team to Furth and, as happily pointed out by German newspapers on Monday, peacefully invaded the pitch after the final whistle, while more than 10,000 people congregated on the Reeperbahn.

What a better way to celebrate your centenary than with a promotion back to the top tier of German football?

St Pauli, resplendent in their rather unusual brown kit - now how many teams can you name that have regularly played in that colour - and their supporters in their Jolly Roger totenkopf - skull and crossbones - attire are now set to wreak their own particular brand of fun and mayhem when they visit the comparatively staid surroundings of Bayern Munich and Bayer Leverkusen next season.

Words like eccentric or odd are often used in the context of St Pauli but results have still to be achieved on the pitch so The Buccaneers of the League, as they are often known, are not really football's answer to the Harlem Globetrotters.

However, there is a certain attitude and atmosphere that surrounds St Pauli. The best way to describe them might be just to say that they are different. Even though the club has been around in its current form since 1910, a unique identity has emerged over the last quarter of their existence.

"St Pauli opens its home matches with AC/DC's Hells' Bells, and after every home goal Song 2 by Blur is played, turning the stadium into a giant mosh pit," says Wikipedia. "St. Pauli is also a worldwide symbol for punk and related subcultures."

"It was in the mid-'80s that St. Pauli's transition from a traditional club into a 'Kult' club began... An alternative fan scene emerged built around left-leaning politics and the 'event' and party atmosphere of the club's matches.

"Importantly, St. Pauli became the first team in Germany to officially ban right wing, nationalist activities and displays in its stadium in an era when Fascist inspired football hooliganism threatened the game across Europe."

The promotion comes at an appropriate time as St Pauli are expanding their Millerntor-Stadion to 27,000 in order to accommodate their ever increasing fan base. St Pauli have been in the Bundesliga before, managing to stay in the top flight for three years between 1988-1991, while the club had a brief stint in the Bundesliga in the 2001-02 season. Sadly, it wasn't a glorious swashbuckling ride on the pitch as they finished bottom and by a very long way, having only won four games that season.

They slid through the 2. Bundesliga the following season in similar fashion and then spent four years in the regional third tier - the Regionalliga Nord - before starting their climb back up.

There are a few signs that St Pauli is finally having to join the 21st century; perhaps in the same way that punk icon Iggy Pop is now doing adverts for insurance companies. Do I hear the words 'Sold Out' being uttered by some radical elements? Club legend Holger Stanislawski, who has been a player, sports director vice-president and is now their coach, told German newspapers after Sunday's game, "St Pauli can't afford to be a social utopia anymore."

They are moving to new training facilities in 2012, and the current clubhouse where fans and players still mingle together for a coffee or beer - imagine that at any other first division club across Western Europe - may just become a distance memory. Sponsors have increased the club budget to around €40m (£34.6m) so regular and frantically solicited injections of emergency cash from friends in the theatre world of club president Corny Littmann who, coincidently, is openly gay, are no longer necessary.

Stanislawski has also warned that if he's still the coach in July, and several other clubs are believed to have already made bids for his services, then sentiment could be in short supply. Familiar faces who have been with the club since its days languishing in Regionalliga Nord look set to be shown the door and while Stanislawski has promised loyalty to many of the players who have got them back in the Bundesliga, he has said that three or four signings are inevitable.

Nevertheless, if St Pauli do lose a modicum of their charm as commercial reality bites, they should still bring a lot of fun to the Bundesliga next season.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Anti-Fascist, anti-racist, anti-sexist. Against the neo-Nazism and most of the scumbagery that their neighbours are involved in. I like St. Pauli. Been to Hamburg a few times but never managed to get to one of their games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

grenache wrote: »
    One of my housemates is a German girl and the other evening we got talking football. I mentioned how my team was aiming for PL promotion. Turns out her ''special club'' St Pauli, were also on the verge of promotion, back to the Bundesliga. She continued to rave about how its the most popular club for female football fans in Germany...

Think I might know why...
    ...the current clubhouse where fans and players still mingle together for a coffee or beer - imagine that at any other first division club across Western Europe...

Sounds like Field of Dreams for WAGs. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Osu wrote: »
    I like St. Pauli. Been to Hamburg a few times but never managed to get to one of their games.

Not into the whole anti-this that and another, but going on what I've seen the atmosphere looks immense at their matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Sounds like Field of Dreams for WAGs. :cool:

More likely BAHs than WAGs in St Pauli ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

I stayed down the road from their stadium a few months ago. Mad fans, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Any club that has any links to Celtic are to be avoided imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Even a non-electronic scoreboard at the stadium. cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

grenache wrote: »
    One of my housemates is a German girl

Is she hot?

I don't know about that but I'd bet that she's funnier than you.

I don't know about that but I'd bet that she's funnier than you.

I see what you have done there. Well done :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I've ruined your "I'm From Cork And I'm Better Than You" sig now, soz :(

Well done.

Back on topic, there is a St Pauli supports club in Cork. It is somehow attached to a few celtic supports clubs.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Ooooh... a whole 7 posts before we got to this bolix. Not bad. :rolleyes:

How do you mean? The club are well known for this so since this thread seemed to be for those clueless about St. Pauli, I thought it best to mention this. For a club that's anti-xyz, for some reason they support Celtic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

gimmick wrote: »
    Well done.

Back on topic, there is a St Pauli supports club in Cork. It is somehow attached to a few celtic supports clubs.

The two clubs are linked.
    Celtic sell St. Pauli gear on the website, well they used to anyway not sure if they still do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

tin_hat_2_mid.jpg

Ok...now i'm ready.....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

For a club that's anti-xyz, for some reason they support Celtic.

Ok, I'll bite.

Please enlighten me.

EDIT: Never mind, ive just read Pauls post properly

Eirebear wrote: »
    EDIT: Never mind, ive just read Pauls post properly

I probably didn't make it clear, but I'm just wondering why Catenaccio can't seem to get his head around the links between Celtic and St. Pauli.

If he feels the need to post this:

then it's only fair he explains the comment.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Ok, I'll bite.

Please enlighten me.

Um, hello sectarianism?

• Advertisement

Um, hello sectarianism?

Go on..... (I'll provide a shovel)

Um, hello sectarianism?

Um, hello, FIFA Fair Play award for best fans in 2003.

baz2009 wrote: »
    Um, hello, FIFA Fair Play award for best fans in 2003.

Haha, for real? That's hilarious. Got to be one of the worst bunch of fans I've come across. Unfortunately I get to see far too many of them at Ireland (yes, Ireland) games. Good friend of mine used to go to five or six Celtic games a year a few years ago but put a stop to all that because of the fans.

Link

It may be Wikipedia, but it's as true as ay on this occasion.

You still haven't answered Paulo.;)

Hello!

(Everyones awful friendly around here!) ;)

I really have to answer him? Haha...jesus. Yeah, it might be a little bit obvious that I'm not a Celtic fan. Shock shock!!

I really have to answer him? Haha...jesus. Yeah, it might be a little bit obvious that I'm not a Celtic fan. Shock shock!!

After making accusations like that it's a bit cowardly to not back it up with some facts.

Okay. Here's a fact. I don't like Celtic :|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

anyway..........

i always remember St. Pauli from Championship Manager days all those years ago.

it was one of those clubs that, after going through a few years in the game, they started sprouting unbelievable players, and i'd ritually raid their team at the start of most seasons.

sounds like a unique club alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Okay. Here's a fact. I don't like Celtic :|
    nobody cares that you don't like celtic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

baz2009 wrote: »
    After making accusations like that it's a bit cowardly to not back it up with some facts.

I'll do it for him.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2295685/Uefa-inquiry-into-Celtic-sectarian-chants.html

In true boards fashion I'll also post a wikipedia page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sectarianism_in_Glasgow

I could go on. A minority, or a majority of them in Ireland, of Celtic's (and Rangers') fans are notoriously sectarian.

Celtic and Rangers have become symbols of everything that's wrong up North.

Now, this has nothing to do with St. Pauli. I actually really like St. Pauli and the city of Hamburg. I wish them well in the Bundesliga and I might even make it over for a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Christ, how did we get onto inane Celtic bashing.

St Pauli fans are well known for their left leaning, anti-imperialist and anti-racist/fascist leanings, largely due to their cross town rivals being the opposite. Which is the same as Celtic fans. Hardly a shock that they have forged a link.

Been to the Millentor. Its quite an experience to say the least. Unlike some other clubs, it is completely legitimate fans ownership and everyone involved in the club has to believe in the project. Players have clauses about how they treat women in their contracts. Its a fantastic story and their success is in spite of their policies. They refuse sponsorship if the company doesn't pass an ethics test (McDonalds were refused permission to build a concession stand) and they turned down a shiney new stadium to keep the stadium they have.

RichTea wrote: »
    I

I could go on. A minority, or a majority of them in Ireland, of Celtic's (and Rangers') fans are notoriously sectarian.

I'll bite. Can we have an example of Celtic's 'notorious sectariansim'?

Would Pauli be palling about with them if this existed, considering they wont even allow meat in their ground?

Been to the Millentor. Its quite an experience to say the least. Unlike some other clubs, it is completely legitimate fans ownership and everyone involved in the club has to believe in the project. Players have clauses about how they treat women in their contracts. Its a fantastic story and their success is in spite of their policies. They refuse sponsorship if the company doesn't pass an ethics test (McDonalds were refused permission to build a concession stand) and they turned down a shiney new stadium to keep the stadium they have.

It's exceptional isn't it? It'd be a shame if they lost the aura about them in the Bundesliga but I doubt the fans would let that happen!

I'll bite. Can we have an example of Celtic's 'notorious sectariansim'?

Would Pauli be palling about with them if this existed, considering they wont even allow meat in their ground?

Did you take a look at any of the links. Here's another http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article4791281.ece

This isn't the place for Celtic discussion anyway. St. Pauli are different to Celtic.

• Advertisement

Quite like how they named the stadium after Wilhelm Koch up until 1999 :D Really should have done their research there!

This isn't the place for Celtic discussion anyway.

No, it's not. But when arseholes start with the "sectarianism" ****e, and post up a few YouTubes of handfuls of fans acting the dick, it'll turn into one.

Well done. :rolleyes:

PauloMN wrote: »
    No, it's not. But when arseholes start with the "sectarianism" ****e, and post up a few YouTubes of handfuls of fans acting the dick, it'll turn into one.

Well done. :rolleyes:

Goaded into it. Shouldn't have responded. Let it go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FIFI_Wild_Cup

That's brilliant! Classic St Pauli

Quite like how they named the stadium after Wilhelm Koch up until 1999 :D Really should have done their research there!

It was a fan vote that changed the name. Pauli only became what we know them as today in the 80's, before that they were a run of the mill lower league team.

It's exceptional isn't it? It'd be a shame if they lost the aura about them in the Bundesliga but I doubt the fans would let that happen!

To be fair they haven't on any of their previous stints in the top flight, so no reason to think they will now.

• Advertisement

It was a fan vote that changed the name. Pauli only became what we know them as today in the 80's, before that they were a run of the mill lower league team.

Yes, but ex-Nazi and all that.

Did you take a look at any of the links. Here's another http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article4791281.ece

This isn't the place for Celtic discussion anyway. St. Pauli are different to Celtic.

A sectarian dead link?

AS clubs Celtic and Pauli are as far apart as can be - a war criminal chairman versus a drag cabaret singer, but the point is their fans are from the same pod and hence the linkup.

Yes, but ex-Nazi and all that.

Member of the party, as were all business men of the time. But once the Pauli fans got control of their club, they changed the name back. Whats the problem?

To be fair they haven't on any of their previous stints in the top flight, so no reason to think they will now.

Yeah that's true. They were sort of a kangaroo club getting relegated and promoted for a few years in the 1990s. I'd like to see them have a good run in the Bundesliga.

Member of the party, as were all business men of the time. But once the Pauli fans got control of their club, they changed the name back. Whats the problem?

Found it funny that they didn't do their research. Not that I'd have anything against them for naming a stadium after some ex-Nazi, as like you said, it didn't really mean that much back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

There's a pub up the top of O'Connell St (Dublin!) that shows all St.Pauli games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Avoid Catenaccio!. Trying to say controversial things so people will notice him.

Seriously, nobody cares.

thee glitz wrote: »
    There's a pub up the top of O'Connell St (Dublin!) that shows all St.Pauli games.

Really? no way. What's the name?

Really? no way. What's the name?

I would guess at it being Frazers....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Osu wrote: »
    Anti-Fascist, anti-racist, anti-sexist. Against the neo-Nazism and most of the scumbagery that their neighbours are involved in. I like St. Pauli.
    Sounds a lot like Rayo Vallecano in Spain.

Their fans are so socialist that in the club shops they sell jerseys with the sponsors on and also ones without. Some of their fans refuse to go to matches on Friday nights as they believe the matches are only being played on Fridays so that the telly companies can make more money. Also, a lot of their fans wave the flag of pre-Francoist Spain. It's all really fascinating.

• Advertisement
Advertisement