Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

St Pauli - a refreshingly alternative club

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

They sound like a decent club with good supporters, but you grow weary of this more-than-a-club lark. I've met a depressing number of hippies, radical types and Anti-Fa's down the years for whom the idea of FC Pauli is a political wet-dream, despite them being the type of people who usually look down their middle-class noses at football supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Eirebear wrote: »
    I would guess at it being Frazers....

I think it is, it's near Cathal Brugha St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Found it funny that they didn't do their research.

Whatever their reasons for naming, I would be willing to bet any quantity of money it wasn't down to 'Not doing their reasearch' and I would hazard a guess they know far more about their history then random Irish chap on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

gimmick wrote: »
    Is she hot?
    She's not bad now that you ask. Lovely eyes! :D

She's from Hannover so i presumed she would follow Hannover 96 but she scoffed at me saying St Pauli are the only team for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Whatever their reasons for naming, I would be willing to bet any quantity of money it wasn't down to 'Not doing their reasearch' and I would hazard a guess they know far more about their history then random Irish chap on the internet.

IIRC he was involved with the club in the 50's and the stadium was named after him as a result. One of the first things the fans did after getting control was rename it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

~Rebel~ wrote: »

I'm actually well up on the history over there but thanks anyway. Stadium renamed after him in the 70s, long after the war was over. And it certainly wasn't hidden that he was a member of the Nazi party. They just made a mistake on their part and rectified it in the 90s. Just surprised it took so long for a club like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I'm actually well up on the history over there but thanks anyway. Stadium renamed after him in the 70s, long after the war was over. And it certainly wasn't hidden that he was a member of the Nazi party. They just made a mistake on their part and rectified it in the 90s. Just surprised it took so long for a club like that.

St Pauli only became the Skull and Crossbones St Pauli in the late 80's and the fans only got control in the 90's. Untill that poing they were a.n other midtable team. It was when the Rieperbam and leftist punk scene emerged in the area that the radical fans latched onto the side, partially as safety in numbers from the Hamburg hooligans.

One of the first things the fans did when they took control was remove references to him from the club. Whats hard to understand about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

St Pauli only became the Skull and Crossbones St Pauli in the late 80's and the fans only got control in the 90's. Untill that poing they were a.n other midtable team. It was when the Rieperbam and leftist punk scene emerged in the area that the radical fans latched onto the side, partially as safety in numbers from the Hamburg hooligans.

One of the first things the fans did when they took control was remove references to him from the club. Whats hard to understand about this?

Exactly, would have had nothing whatsoever to do with "Not doing their research".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Very happy that they were promoted, the atmosphere at all of their matches is outstanding and next season should be interesting. Great club, great manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,367 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Good grief, some people do spout some amount of bull**** on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It greatly confuses me that those whose first love is an English Premiership side, would be so appreciative of a club like this. Polar opposites tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

CSF wrote: »
    It greatly confuses me that those whose first love is an English Premiership side, would be so appreciative of a club like this. Polar opposites tbh.
    to be fair its not the fault of the fans that they dont own or control their English team. Many fans have been following teams since they were knee high, in many cases they did so because of their father's allegiance to a certain team. Where as St Pauli is a team many have began to follow in their adult life, when people
    are mature enough to know the differences between clubs when it comes to political and moral values.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

We're great friends with them :D

135px-Tennis_Borussia_Berlin.png

http://www.tebe.de/index_en.html

</promo>

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Delighted for St Pauli. They're a great club and there's no inconsistancy with they're close links with the super Celts. Good to see some of the rabid anti Celtic paranoia from Off The Ball is alive and well here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Eirebear wrote: »
    I would guess at it being Frazers....

That's the place, but it's now called Murrays. It's the last round of Bundesliga 2
    today and they're showing St. Pauli v Paderborn (ko 2pm). They're 2 pts behind
    leaders Kaiserslautern but with 8 better gd. They're 3 pts ahead of K'slautern's guests,
    Augsurg, and will be in the Bundesliga next year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement