Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of coming to live in Australia? MOD ADVICE IN POST 32

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Doc wrote: »
    You have a flight booked out of the country 2 months after you arrive so they have no reason to be strict at all. They don’t care that you’re not going home just that you’re not staying in Australia passed your visas allotted time.

What if I don't book my flight to New Zealand until I get to Melbourne? If I turn up at Melbourne airport with a one way flight, will they just give me the 3rd degree and let me in?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

ladybones wrote: »
    Hi

Im moving to oz at the end of october but im unsure what to do in regards to flights?

If i only purchase a one way flight do i need to have more money in my bank account?

How much money do you need to have in your account going to oz and how is this checked when you are entering the country ?

Thank You

iv just booked mine aswell and found uist to be the cheapest but my flights are return and for one year.

usit were cheaper for insurance and whv 400 total

a bank statement will do as proof of money which i believe you are rarely asked for....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

What if I don't book my flight to New Zealand until I get to Melbourne? If I turn up at Melbourne airport with a one way flight, will they just give me the 3rd degree and let me in?

As you are only coming here on a 3 month visa but do not have an onward flight booked they may be concerned that your intentions are to stay and work rather then just to visit. They may have questions regarding why you don’t have a flight booked out of the country and how, when, and where you intend to leave.

If you can prove that you can afford to stay the 3 months of the visa with the money you have and buy a flight out of the country you could be fine but it really will all depend on your personal circumstances.

For example if you have just finished a WHV here and have no job at home they may be more suspicious of your intentions.

If you can prove that you have a job at home or are starting/ continuing a university course it will seem much more unlikely that you intend to stay in the country past the time allowed on your visa.

In all likelihood you wont be stopped but if you are your best option is to have the onward ticket booked before you arrive or sufficient evidence that you will not be staying in the country.

Why don’t you want to buy the ticket before you get here anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

iv just booked mine aswell and found uist to be the cheapest but my flights are return and for one year.

usit were cheaper for insurance and whv 400 total

a bank statement will do as proof of money which i believe you are rarely asked for....

USIT cheaper then who?

I have never found them to be cheaper for anything compared to just going online and sorting it yourself, and it is really easy to set yourself up when coming to Australia rather then paying someone a lot extra for nothing.

i found them cheaper than trailfinders, only by 50 quid for flights but 180 cheaper for insurance and visa

i cant remember exactly how much at the time but they were cheaper than ebookers and one or two of the english web sites that do a package after you added in the flights to uk and extra hassle for going to someone else to arrange visa and insurance.

obviously im not a seasoned traveller but for convience and price i found usit the best, im sure you could probably find it a bit cheaper if you booked with the airlines individually and sorted your own visa but for me when weighted against all the calls to be made and not having done this before i was happy to go with usit.

i woulda put the time in to do it all myself if there was a decent amount of money to be saved but i dont think there was anything significant

1600 flights thailand, Oz, Nz, Fiji
    400 whv and a good level of insurance and the other stuff you could do yourself but handy to have it done for you, sim card, bank account, TFN

im sure someone is going to come along and say lower prices but thats what i paid!

• Advertisement

Doc wrote: »

In all likelihood you wont be stopped but if you are your best option is to have the onward ticket booked before you arrive or sufficient evidence that you will not be staying in the country.

Why don’t you want to buy the ticket before you get here anyway?

I think Pat wants to just stay in Oz, get a feel for customs and not have to pay for a ticket out if he dosent have to lol

watch nothing to declare :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ladybones

Thanks for the help

Booked one way flight in the end, prob wont have the required amount in ma acc entering Aus, but shouldn't be too far off it! Hopefully im not asked!! :D

Also booked through travel agent and it was cheaper than bookin online or any other method...!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

I think Pat wants to just stay in Oz, get a feel for customs and not have to pay for a ticket out if he dosent have to lol

watch nothing to declare :D

Hypothetically, you're right. But only hypothetically :D

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Hey folks.

Im also planning on booking a one-way flight to Oz tomorrow morning and hope to land Nov. I emailed the Oz Dept. of immigration who told me that so long as I have sufficient money in my account, theres no issue about booking a one-way flight.

On another note, can anyone tell me how long I'd have to wait for a visa if i go through http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/? Im a bit anxious as I hope to book flights tomorrow, and then sort out the visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Funkducky

Hi all, I'm looking to emigrate with my wife and 2 kids. Kids aged 4 & 6. I've no educational degree and I'm currently studying to be an EMT. Any advise in relation to job opportunities for the unskilled. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Funkducky wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm looking to emigrate with my wife and 2 kids. Kids aged 4 & 6. I've no educational degree and I'm currently studying to be an EMT. Any advise in relation to job opportunities for the unskilled. :)

How far off are you from Qualifying as an EMT?

There is a bit of a ho ha at present over ambulance times and under staffing in Ambulance Victoria. There is an election coming and chances are qualified EMT's (Possibly with experience) could get a look in on the Victoria sponsored list.

The unskilled are sort of left outside the gate mate. Sorry I cant sweeten that fact up for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Undertow wrote: »
    On another note, can anyone tell me how long I'd have to wait for a visa if i go through http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/? Im a bit anxious as I hope to book flights tomorrow, and then sort out the visa.

Got mine in about 6 hours yesterday:)

if you have any previous charges it will take at least 2 weeks even if there something like drunk and disordely to something more serious, within reason, not like supplying drugs or GBH

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

Hi Both the OH and myself are medical scientists (on the current sol),aged 40 with 18yrs work experience with 2 kids 3 and 5. In light of our ages how difficult would it be to get PR?

thanks,

daithi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Azrael51

Hey Peeps,
    I need some info on emigrating to Auz, and am having problems in finding specific answers, so your help would be much appreciated. My current situation is I'm 34 years of age, so uneligible for working holiday visa from what I gathered? My career backround is in Sales and am now out of work after having a business start up fail. From what I see on Auz embassy site I do not meet the career skills they require also? So I'm a bit stumped, I'm fed up here with this current economy and Auz looks so good. I have uncles and aunts over there and they could maybe sponsor me? Is that possible? They might even be able to put me in direction of a job. Also I have 2 dependent children who do not live with me from a ex relationship? Does that hinder my chances of been accepted? I would not be able to bring children with me as their mother wants to stay in Ireland.
    Any advice would be welcome, thanks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Mate I wont lie to you its not an easy case.

You probably should be talking to a professional Migration Agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Nuravictus

Just been looking at Australian Graduate programs as there seems to be good few of them compared to two in Ireland for graduate electrical engineers.

Anyhow I am currently in college finishing a degree in Electrical Services Engineering (Ordinary), I am already a Electrician but I plan to go do a Higher degree in Electrical & Electronic Engineering.

I will be 27 when I leave college, basically I wanta try get onto a Australian graduate program if possible but I would need Australian residency. What are my odds and if low whats the best approach.

Thanks in advance for any advoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

Nuravictus wrote: »
    Just been looking at Australian Graduate programs as there seems to be good few of them compared to two in Ireland for graduate electrical engineers.

Anyhow I am currently in college finishing a degree in Electrical Services Engineering (Ordinary), I am already a Electrician but I plan to go do a Higher degree in Electrical & Electronic Engineering.

I will be 27 when I leave college, basically I wanta try get onto a Australian graduate program if possible but I would need Australian residency. What are my odds and if low whats the best approach.

Thanks in advance for any advoice.

I tried looking into this last year (not that closely to be honest) but it seems to be that you can't get into a graduate course on a working holiday visa, and can't get a skilled visa without 12 months post grad experience. Pretty much a catch 22 situation.

Maybe someone else can shed more informative light on this subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Msmini

Hey there, new to boards.ie as a member but have found it in the past to be like an invisible best friend, faceless but a giver of great advice... Anyhow I'm in a pickle as to whether to move to Australia for a year or 2??? I'm 33 year old single, homeowner (no boast...but puts you in the picture that mortgage will have to be paid in my absence), currently in a job which I really dislike but it just about (and I mean just about) pays the bills...Have no college qualification, but if I may say a great CV and have some excellent experience behind me with International companies, and also worked in the Hospitality Industry running my own business.. But people, I'm fed up of the constant struggling, and penny pinching...Anyone with any advice on moving to Aus, don't seem to be having any luck on finding a Visa when I don't seem to be "Skilled" so to speak??, plus I'm on the wrong side of 30!!! :((
    Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Many Thanks
    Msmini

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Msmini wrote: »
    Hey there, new to boards.ie as a member but have found it in the past to be like an invisible best friend, faceless but a giver of great advice... Anyhow I'm in a pickle as to whether to move to Australia for a year or 2??? I'm 33 year old single, homeowner (no boast...but puts you in the picture that mortgage will have to be paid in my absence), currently in a job which I really dislike but it just about (and I mean just about) pays the bills...Have no college qualification, but if I may say a great CV and have some excellent experience behind me with International companies, and also worked in the Hospitality Industry running my own business.. But people, I'm fed up of the constant struggling, and penny pinching...Anyone with any advice on moving to Aus, don't seem to be having any luck on finding a Visa when I don't seem to be "Skilled" so to speak??, plus I'm on the wrong side of 30!!! :((
    Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Many Thanks
    Msmini

If you're not on the skills list and not qualified for a migrant visa, then really not much chance. You can try to apply for jobs here and get sponsorship, but probably slim chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

To be brutally honest you are not going to get a skilled visa unless you have some sort if skill or qualification you are too old for a WHV and your only option is to find an employer willing to sponsor.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Badger2009

Hey guys, great thread.

I'm looking at emigrating in the new year. I am 25, a civil engineer, have 13 months post grad experience and just completed a masters.

Just wondering what visa I should apply for?

I'm thinking probably a WHV? I was looking at the graduate skilled visa as well but that says you need to have graduated from an eligible college, none of which appear to be in Ireland?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

P.S. Anyone got suggestions on where I would be best to start looking for work and what my chances are of getting a job with my skills?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 JohnnyC1

Hey, I am also looking into immigrating to OZ in the new year. The only problem is I have been on a whv before from 05 to 06. I was just wondering if any knew how this would effect my application for a second whv or what process i should follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

JohnnyC1 wrote: »
    Hey, I am also looking into immigrating to OZ in the new year. The only problem is I have been on a whv before from 05 to 06. I was just wondering if any knew how this would effect my application for a second whv or what process i should follow?

huh? You can't have a 2nd WHV without the first one, so I take it you completed the 3 months regional work experience?
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/eligibility-second.htm
    and you have all the documents to prove you worked?

hussey wrote: »
    huh? You can't have a 2nd WHV without the first one, so I take it you completed the 3 months regional work experience?
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/eligibility-second.htm
    and you have all the documents to prove you worked?

No I aint got the three months regional work experience, I was under the impression that it didnt matter if 5 years had past, but this must not be the case. Do ya think there is any way around not having the documents or is my only other option the skilled migrant route?

Do ya think there is any way around not having the documents

Not unless you like wearing handcuffs.

What do you work at anyway? Could you get an old employer to sponsor you?

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Not unless you like wearing handcuffs.

What do you work at anyway? Could you get an old employer to sponsor you?

What sort of documentation do you need to provide?,Im a recent graduate of construction project management, I Dont think Sponsorship from a former employer is an option.

What sort of documentation do you need to provide?,Im a recent graduate of construction project management, I Dont think Sponsorship from a former employer is an option.

How recent?

Without experience Skilled migration might be difficult as well.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    How recent?

Without experience Skilled migration might be difficult as well.

Sep 2010, I have a years experience but its from a few years back.

• Advertisement

Ideally you need 3 years experience for specific work experience or you might be short on points. You could do IELTS to give you an extra 10 and 5 for your partners skill otherwise you would need state sponsorship and they probably be looking for 3 years experience anyway.

Experience would have to be in your nominating occupations or a closely related occupation on the SOL.

Advertisement