Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of coming to live in Australia? MOD ADVICE IN POST 32

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Just wondering how much money would one need to save in order to move to Australia on a year long working visa? I'm talking everything from visa's, flights, accomadation and starting up money. I'm a recent graduate with about a years banking experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ozzy123

Badger2009 wrote: »
    Hey guys, great thread.

I'm looking at emigrating in the new year. I am 25, a civil engineer, have 13 months post grad experience and just completed a masters.

Just wondering what visa I should apply for?

I'm thinking probably a WHV? I was looking at the graduate skilled visa as well but that says you need to have graduated from an eligible college, none of which appear to be in Ireland?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

P.S. Anyone got suggestions on where I would be best to start looking for work and what my chances are of getting a job with my skills?

Hi All, i am also in a similar position to Badger.

I'm 25 with a Honors degree in Mech Engineering. I have 18 months good relevant post grad experience in heavy industry.

Also wondering what visa I should apply for?

Some people are advising me just get a WHV and then hope to get sponsored by when below, or would I be better off trying to get a skilled visa now?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Ozzy123 wrote: »
    Hi All, i am also in a similar position to Badger.

I'm 25 with a Honors degree in Mech Engineering. I have 18 months good relevant post grad experience in heavy industry.

Also wondering what visa I should apply for?

Some people are advising me just get a WHV and then hope to get sponsored by when below, or would I be better off trying to get a skilled visa now?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

The WHV gives you a good chance to get over to OZ and have scout around to see if you would actually want to live there full time?
    It would be a good chance to visit the cities and decide where was best etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

red menace wrote: »
    The WHV gives you a good chance to get over to OZ and have scout around to see if you would actually want to live there full time?
    It would be a good chance to visit the cities and decide where was best etc?

doesnt really answer his question...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

zweton wrote: »
    doesnt really answer his question...

Nope indeed it doesn't well spotted.

A WHV is easy enough and cheap enough to get compared to a Skilled Visa.

Just think I would rather suss out a country for a year before making a commitment from Ireland to live there ?

I know plenty of people who have been sponsored on WHVs mostly in the trades and all got them easily enough through agents in Oz
    I don't know anyone who has gone from Skilled Migration from Ireland so can't comment on that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Just wondering how much money would one need to save in order to move to Australia on a year long working visa? I'm talking everything from visa's, flights, accomadation and starting up money. I'm a recent graduate with about a years banking experience

Visa $235 (€177)
    Return Flights Etihad approx €1047

You are also required to have $5000 (€3800) as part of the visa conditions, although this is not strictly enforced it would be wise to actually have that figure in case you didn't get work in the first few months, no point in chancing with the walk of shame.

So at least €5000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Visa $235 (€177)
    Return Flights Etihad approx €1047

You are also required to have $5000 (€3800) as part of the visa conditions, although this is not strictly enforced it would be wise to actually have that figure in case you didn't get work in the first few months, no point in chancing with the walk of shame.

So at least €5000

thanks for that

so realistically is €5000 enough to get your feet on the ground? I'd like to stop off at asia for a week or two but doubt that would be possible with a max of €6000 saved up

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Personally I think 5,000e ($7,500) is plenty to get you up & running. Although its a pretty expensive country, I only spent a little over half that in 4 weeks while I was looking for work. And I was doing tours, seeing sights etc. Obviously the more you're looking to drink, the more you need though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Hey folks

Myself and the girlfriend are planning on heading to Oz next september on a WHV. We will both have honours degrees in culinary management from DIT but unfortunely our profession doesn't come into the 'skills' category so we will be hoping to receive sponsership from our future employers in order to stay past the 12 months..

My question is, if a company sponsors you how long does the sponsorship last and do you have to stay with that company for the duration of that sponsorship? If you get fired or quit is your new exended visa cancelled?

Cheers

Mark

Hey folks

Myself and the girlfriend are planning on heading to Oz next september on a WHV. We will both have honours degrees in culinary management from DIT but unfortunely our profession doesn't come into the 'skills' category so we will be hoping to receive sponsership from our future employers in order to stay past the 12 months..

My question is, if a company sponsors you how long does the sponsorship last and do you have to stay with that company for the duration of that sponsorship? If you get fired or quit is your new exended visa cancelled?

Cheers

Mark

Have a look at the 457 occupations list first (attached) and see if your profession is on there, also you need to have experience to go along with any qualifications.

a 457 can last up to 4 years, if you lose your job or leave you have 28 days to find a new sponsor or your visa will be cancelled and you will have to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭markfdrums

I just spent an hour reading through this thread from the very first post.

I'm guilty of starting a thread which had the answer in this thread...

there's a few posters here who are legends when it comes to giving answers and should be charging for their services.

But people need to read this thread from start to finish then post if their question isnt answered. (it will be)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eanna_c

Hi, I was just reading though the Occupations list and saw that Restaurant Manager is accepted but a bar manager isnt? Would it be possible to get sponsorship as a manager in say a pub that sells food? Or is it just for a restaurant?

eanna_c wrote: »
    Hi, I was just reading though the Occupations list and saw that Restaurant Manager is accepted but a bar manager isnt? Would it be possible to get sponsorship as a manager in say a pub that sells food? Or is it just for a restaurant?

I'm looking at the 457 occupations list and it has:

'Accomodations and hospitality managers nec' number: 141999

I'm guessing a bar manager counts as a hospitality manager?
    I'm going over on a WHV and I starting to get the impression that long term visas aren't really offered to people in the hospitality industry??

Can someone correct me.... please!? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I'm looking at the 457 occupations list and it has:

'Accomodations and hospitality managers nec' number: 141999

I'm guessing a bar manager counts as a hospitality manager?
    I'm going over on a WHV and I starting to get the impression that long term visas aren't really offered to people in the hospitality industry??

Can someone correct me.... please!? :confused:

Despite the fact that Accommodation and hospitality managers might be on the list the company doing the sponsoring have to prove that they can’t find an Australian to do the job. Having said that If you do find a job in a management position in hospitality and your company is willing to sponsor you then you have a good chance of getting it because as you said its on the list. The problem is most people coming here looking to stay and working in hospitality on WHV’s are not working as managers and that is why long term visas aren’t really offered to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eanna_c

And would proof of manager qualifications have to be shown? I never trained to be a manager just worked my way up the ladder like. I do have plenty of expierence though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dave011

Hi, i am 32 years old, i am too old for a working visa in australia, i have a level 7 qualification in electronic enginnering, has anyone any advise on how i could get a visa now, or is it to late for me?

eanna_c wrote: »
    And would proof of manager qualifications have to be shown? I never trained to be a manager just worked my way up the ladder like. I do have plenty of expierence though.

Australian Employers nearly always favor those applications with qualifications, but then again I have never been asked to actually produce them at an interview or anything.

Really ask yourself what would your angle be? If you don't have qualifications in management or whatever what can you offer the company that they wouldn't get from an experienced Australian in a similar position.

dave011 wrote: »
    Hi, i am 32 years old, i am too old for a working visa in australia, i have a level 7 qualification in electronic enginnering, has anyone any advise on how i could get a visa now, or is it to late for me?

Skilled visa.

What sort of industry have you been working at in the past? and how much experience do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

hay mandrake, would you be able to give me some advise, i am 30 this april, myself and my girlfriend want to go to oz in january 2012, so that april ill be 31, so if i apply for my visa this december say, ill be 30, can i stay the whole year and then get a 2nd years visa, or do i have to come back, kinda confused a bit now with it. once im over there and i turn 31, basically can i apply for a 2nd years visa?

bri007 wrote: »
    hay mandrake, would you be able to give me some advise, i am 30 this april, myself and my girlfriend want to go to oz in january 2012, so that april ill be 31, so if i apply for my visa this december say, ill be 30, can i stay the whole year and then get a 2nd years visa, or do i have to come back, kinda confused a bit now with it. once im over there and i turn 31, basically can i apply for a 2nd years visa?

You are good to get your first visa anytime before next January, but you probably wont get the 2nd one if you are already 31 by the time you lodge with your evidence of rural work.

Unless maybe you do your 3 months rural work straight away then lodge the 2nd visa before April.... not sure about that one. Very slim.

If you went this August you would be alright for the 2nd

• Advertisement

You are good to get your first visa anytime before next January, but you probably wont get the 2nd one if you are already 31 by the time you lodge with your evidence of rural work.

Unless maybe you do your 3 months rural work straight away then lodge the 2nd visa before April.... not sure about that one. Very slim.

If you went this August you would be alright for the 2nd

so if if i go next january say, straight after new year, ill be 30 then, if i get the 3 months rural experience straight away, ill be 31 that coming april, could i still lodge the 2nd year visa? I am not in a position to go just yet, im finishing up a course at the moment. if this doesnt work, is my only option the skilled visa, how long does that take to organise, ive heard of people waiting years and getting refused. I have the diploma in electronics, im just doing as many courses as i can at the moment to brush up my skills before i go, i doing the accounting technician asweel, that will be finished this summer, and im also doin sum brush up engineering skills i need to do to help me find employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

The DIAC line is as follows

be aged between 18 and 30 years (inclusive) at the time of applying, however, you may be aged over 30 years of age at the time your visa is granted

The link is here

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/eligibility-second.htm

So you cannot be 31 when you apply.

Plus in light of the skilled visa you may need a bit of experience. (1+ years)

in theory if you had 88 days work done before April you might be alright, depends on when your birthday is in April if its at the start it would be very tight. You might not be able to choose what days you work. What happens if it rains for a week or two and they and they don't harvest or pick? You might not have enough days to make it its not really in your control.

Skilled visa could take 6-28 months.... and nothing is guaranteed, but unless you told them a whole heap of lies would be unlikely to be rejected.

Or your a criminal....

in theory if you had 88 days work done before April you might be alright, depends on when your birthday is in April if its at the start it would be very tight. You might not be able to choose what days you work. What happens if it rains for a week or two and they and they don't harvest or pick? You might not have enough days to make it its not really in your control.

Skilled visa could take 6-28 months.... and nothing is guaranteed, but unless you told them a whole heap of lies would be unlikely to be rejected.

ive looked up the skilled visa, the electronic technician is 40points. i think ill try the skilled visa route, the working visa is risky with my age. so you think i have a good chance of getting the skiled visa? also, what proof do you need to show for your experience gained in ireland.

Doc wrote: »
    Despite the fact that Accommodation and hospitality managers might be on the list the company doing the sponsoring have to prove that they can’t find an Australian to do the job. Having said that If you do find a job in a management position in hospitality and your company is willing to sponsor you then you have a good chance of getting it because as you said its on the list. The problem is most people coming here looking to stay and working in hospitality on WHV’s are not working as managers and that is why long term visas aren’t really offered to them.

Yup thought so, I'm not too worried regarding getting a long term visa, if it happens it happens..no point worrying to much about it.

Just wondering, do Australians generally work in hospitality or do they rely on foreigners?

bri007 wrote: »
    ive looked up the skilled visa, the electronic technician is 40points. i think ill try the skilled visa route, the working visa is risky with my age. so you think i have a good chance of getting the skiled visa? also, what proof do you need to show for your experience gained in ireland, say if ive worked in a cmpany for 9 months,
    They ask for a letter from that company stating in depth what you did and how long you did it for.

As for that last bit nobody will answer that. So I am just going to take it out to save anyone getting banned for answering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭wicklori

My OH is Aussie and we will move to Oz at some stage in next few years. However, our hand might get forced as there are some uncertainties in his job. Can anyone give me an estimate of how long we might be waiting for a decision on a de facto relationship visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭sniffingchimp

wicklori wrote: »
    My OH is Aussie and we will move to Oz at some stage in next few years. However, our hand might get forced as there are some uncertainties in his job. Can anyone give me an estimate of how long we might be waiting for a decision on a de facto relationship visa?

Am curious also as myself and the missus are in the exact same situation....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bourgeois

Word of advice for people using recruitment agencies in Melbourne...

Stay away from Geoffrey Nathan. Don't get taken in by their speel about LAFHA. I've been here 8 weeks and the only jobs they are offering is to walk around town taking photos of pavement cracks. They have no IT jobs, no accounting jobs and no customer service jobs.

Advertisement