Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of coming to live in Australia? MOD ADVICE IN POST 32

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Yes there is underemployment and you are correct it distorts the figures (probably a few %) but any employment is better than no employment.

But then on the subject of underemployment would that have a positive or negative effect for guest employees seeking work?
    Yeah, probably just a few per cent. I'm a student at the moment and went looking for part time work. I was surprised by the amount of people applying for part time IT jobs. It's a pretty tough market. I thought it would be just parents looking for extra income.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Interesting article in Brisbane's Courier Mail yesterday about waiting times for outpatient clinics - makes the HSE look good in some respects!!

http://tinyurl.com/4tg9kmg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

DIAC released a brand new booklet on 18th Feb that covers the facts of 457 sponsorship, this should be of help to any person who might be lucky enough to be going through this process.

Booklet 9 Attached

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 suarez9

Hi all, i am over 30 and have aunt who is oz citizen that will sponsor me with hospital work as porter, it office job in perth. What quickest way and best steps to emigrate for good if i like it there have plenty of money and guarantee of sponsor. Can i meet friends,work straight away. Is skills whv sponsor nomination trn 457. I have read posts and immigrate oz etc. Please help and thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Hi your aunt cannot sponsor you as far as I know as a hospital porter. Having a lot of money is a good start but I am pretty sure you cant get more than 5 pionts for a $100,000 bond.

• Advertisement

To emigrate for good you first need to have a skill on the ever decreasing SOL (skilled occupation list). The family sponsor option still requires you the above skilled occupation at a reduced points pass mark and is not a free entry as most people think, anyway the family sponsor option for 176 skilled permanent residence ends on the 30th June and it will be either independent or state sponsored.

You could get employer sponsored permanent residence if you had a skill on the ENSOL and there was an employer willing to sponsor you if it was proven they could find no suitable Australian to fill the position.

You mentioned about 457 well thats just a temporary version of the above, same deal as above skilled occupation that an employer finds that no local is suitable to fill. (I guess hospital porter wouldn't be too hard to fill by a local)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 suarez9

Thanks lads, aunt works in hosp has contacts etc around perth. Hosp in bunbury sponsor me. What do aunt and i have to do so i can go to oz( perm eventually etc) what visa to basically go soon. What steps please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Step 1 find your skill on the skills list.

Come back to us then for step 2.

suarez9 wrote: »
    Thanks lads, aunt works in hosp has contacts etc around perth. Hosp in bunbury sponsor me. What do aunt and i have to do so i can go to oz( perm eventually etc) what visa to basically go soon. What steps please

If you are a Doctor, Nurse or some sort of high level Health professional then shouldnt be a problem for the hospital to sponsor, but I cant see them too intrested in sponsoring someone to clean the toilets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭iwsf

step 2 : call me and take me with you :D
    Was in WA a few months ago , loved it. Especially bunbury area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

eightyfish wrote: »
    Thanks Doc. I'll get back to you in a year!

Okay so I missed the year-mark but it's now been 18 months since the above post. At that stage I was living in Dublin with very itchy feet, and decided to follow Doc's plan. I left for Australia with my girlfriend. Here's what happened:

Steps 1-4 were easy. We then skipped straight to step 10 (on whyulittle's advice), and travelled immediately to Berri, SA, where we found a great working hostel and went looking for regional work. It took us 5 months to get 3 months worth of regional work picking and packing peaches and nectarines. The work itself was horrible, but the whole experience was great thanks to meeting some brilliant other backpackers (now friends) along the way.

So with the full 2 year WHV under our belts, we skipped back to step 5 and went on a 2-month road trip (in our unreliable 21 year old Ford) to Adelaide, across the Nullarbor to Perth, down the whole south-west coast of WA, back across the Nullarbor through SA and rural Victoria before arriving in Melbourne at the beginning of winter.

We liked Melbourne immediately but couldn't find work. After 6 weeks, all I could manage was a few casual days in a warehouse - and my girlfriend couldn't get work at all. So we moved on to Sydney and everything changed. Within 2 weeks we were both working, and within six we both had proper full-time jobs. My girlfriend has been offered sponsorship through her job, which her employer is going to pay for in full, and I'm applying defacto. As we've been together a long time, this shouldn't be a problem.

Sydney is a grower. Not as immediately appealing as Melbourne - it took us a while to realise that the heart of Sydney lies not in the corporate city centre but in the busy suburbs. We really liked an area called Newtown and now we have a nice apartment there on a quiet street within 5 minutes walk of the train station and all the pubs and restaurants we could ever need.

So it worked out well and we're very happy.

Thanks Doc and whyulittle!

Advertisement