Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Building for 2011/12

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Start what?.......On 17 year olds ..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

and why not :) COYFS !!!!

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

and why not :) COYFS !!!!

Because we don't have £80m for the transfer fee, and would have to break our wage structure to pay the wages.

Next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 paddyspurs

I know this might start a little early, but since we have confirmed our CL spot, all the talk on tv is of the calibre of player we can attract. so whta do lads thinks? where do we need to improve to progress for next season? I think the full back positions, possibly another centre if King can only play part time, another mid, and if we secured Guddy and added another striker. I think Pav did ok, but i be very wary of his up and down form.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

This is going to be a tough transfer season. Defoe was great for all but the last 10 games or so, where he stopped scoring goals. I didn't think he was great again last night, and the problem is that we need someone who is going to score 25 league goals in the season. All the other top 4 teams have that (Van Persie, Rooney, Drogba, Torres) and if we're serious, we need that too. Who do we get rid of though? I like Pav - he's a genuinely two-footed striker, rare enough these days, though he blows so hot and cold that he can be frustrating. And I like Gudjonson as well, though should we be holding on to him?

Outside that, I'd love another really strong CB, or for Bassong to mature and make that position his own. RB needs to be sorted, though in fairness Kaboul has been excellent there and seems to almost be growing into the role. Backup GK needs to be sorted too.

So basically I think we need one absolutely brilliant midfielder or striker, and cover elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

i think we all pretty much say the same thing

backup goalie

right back (bennie is ok at left)

backup CB while king grooms bassong to be his natural sucessor

cover in CM

World class striker

we need someone like torres who will go to old trafford and score, that kind of striker

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd love a world class striker. I like Pav, and have a new found respect for Crouch (who was fantastic last night), but we need a Torres/Rooney type player, who'll get 20+ goals a season. Could also do with another great midfielder, but i'd be happy with Modric and Palacios/Hudd as long as they keep their form up.

What i'm most happy about, is the players we really need to keep have a fantastic reason to stay now. CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FOOTBALL!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

crouch was outstanding but we know he is only that good in certain kinds of games. he is a great squad man but he not world class

paddyspurs wrote: »
    I know this might start a little early, but since we have confirmed our CL spot, all the talk on tv is of the calibre of player we can attract. so whta do lads thinks? where do we need to improve to progress for next season? I think the full back positions, possibly another centre if King can only play part time, another mid, and if we secured Guddy and added another striker. I think Pav did ok, but i be very wary of his up and down form.

We are only in the qualifying round remember.

Priority has got to be to retain our current squad, ie Bale Modric Lennon etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Hatch99 wrote: »

Cant see them going anywhere now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Maybe Torres would fancy London

Hwe picked Liverpool over Man U/Chelsea when he came first, why not Spurs over Chelsea now.

Worth breaking the bank for Torres

Well said that man.

I think RB and CB should be priorities, but I don't think we will see a new CB unless we make it to the CL group stages.

Pacy cover for Lennon on the right would be nice, I think Bentley might be off if the right offer comes in. He might make do with Jenas out there, I'm not sure.

I'd be surprised if Eidur stays on, so we will need another striker...now is the time to get the quality goalscorer we need, though who that is I don't know.

Oh, and decent cover for Gomes is a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Dreamland I think,

Although I think we could get a couple of decent players from them.

What about babel or glen Johnston?

slegs wrote: »
    Maybe Torres would fancy London

Hwe picked Liverpool over Man U/Chelsea when he came first, why not Spurs over Chelsea now.

Worth breaking the bank for Torres

For the two reasons I posted above, plus he will challenge for trophies at Chelses (and be guaranteed CL Group stage football at a bare minimum) Do you think the chance to work with his fellow countryman as manager and play for a side that were recent CL winners might have helped make his mind up on his last move?

Let's not lose the run of ourselves fellas.

What about Santa Cruz? Easy to forget but he looked pretty special before he followed the money.

The last thing I want is some merc like Robinho coming in thinking he owns the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

I could'nt agree more with Ronan. The priority must be to retain our key players. Now Bale looks likely to extend, and Lennon and Thudd have been signed up, Modric is next.
    Goalie to back up Gomez the most obvious need. After that we need to evaluate all the players we have, and decide on Jenas, Bentley and Pav. Then there are the players on loan - Keane, Hutton, O Hara, Dos Santos, and Taarabt. If we get 3rd or win CL qualifier, it could be argued that we need a deeper squad, so some of them could come in. Then there are the youngsters Walker, Naughton, Bostock, Obika et al.
    In terms of buying in, would bellamy or Pienaar walk into the first 11 if everyone is fit- no. Would they even get into the 16-18 match squad? We need to be judicious in who we bring in. We also need to above all trust Harry's eye for a player, and Levy's hard nose to close a deal.
    As an option to Crouch, how about Doyle? Hard working, leads the line, never trouble.

As we stand
    squad for 2011
    Gomez Cudicini? Alnwick? Walker x Need a goalie
    RB Corluka Kaboul Hutton ?Walker? Naughton?
    LB BAE Bale O Hara?
    CB King Dawson Bassong Kaboul Woodgate? Corluka Thudd (emergencies only) Walker? Naughton? Derivte x
    RM Lennon Bentley? Krenjcar
    LM Bale Modric Kranjcar GDS? O Hara?
    CM Thudd Palacios Modric Sandro O Hara? Eidur?
    ST Defoe Crouch Pav? Keane? Eidur? GDS?
    Not bad, is it?

Well said that man.

I think RB and CB should be priorities, but I don't think we will see a new CB unless we make it to the CL group stages.

Pacy cover for Lennon on the right would be nice, I think Bentley might be off if the right offer comes in. He might make do with Jenas out there, I'm not sure.

I'd be surprised if Eidur stays on, so we will need another striker...now is the time to get the quality goalscorer we need, though who that is I don't know.

Oh, and decent cover for Gomes is a must.

Would agree with the Bentley piece, if Harry was offered 8/10m, he'd prob let him go. Potential is there to take in a decent few quid in sales this summer, if the likes of Keane, Gio, OHara and Hutton all leave.

Forgot Jenas. Sorry JJ- seemed buzzed at ft last night, hardly a write off, but definately a question mark over his future.

Potential is there to take in a decent few quid in sales this summer, if the likes of Keane, Gio, OHara and Hutton all leave.

There's the guts of £20m there, and none of them currently in the squad.

• Advertisement

There's the guts of £20m there, and none of them currently in the squad.

It could fund the signing of a top striker, maybe Huntelaar.

27 or 28m if you add bently and I'm sure near enough 100k a week in wages between them.

Could get a he'll of a forward between them.

ziedth wrote: »
    27 or 28m if you add bently and I'm sure near enough 100k a week in wages between them.

Could get a he'll of a forward between them.

£100k a week?

If you're throwing Bentley in there I'd put it at closer to £200k, Keane is on very good money (IIRC around £80k, and Bentley and Hutton would be on at least the same between them)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

I think left back has to be a priority.BAE has done well but is always a liability. Will the club change its wage structure now were in the qualifiers? If not we are hampered when looking to get players in.
    What of the new stadium? whats the latest?

Keane is on 80k? Jesus!

Point remains though, I for one would prefer we try our luck with a superstar at 200k a week then have the 4 fringe players Ronan was talking about.

Although I still would like to keep O'Hara TBH.

ziedth wrote: »

Although I still would like to keep O'Hara TBH.

But will OHara want to stay knowing he is not 1st Choice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I would agree that we need to look for a Right Back and a Striker, plus a back-up keeper, but the main thing is to keep what we have, we didn't add too many last summer and I think that continuity showed last night against a City side who looked disjointed and like a team of individuals.

3/4 in and 3/4 out would do me nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Cant get this (completely outlandish) transfer out of my head.

As people are saying- ship out the lads who arent even in the squad at the minute plus jj and im going to throw in crouch as well. Pool that money and their wages for Torres.

I no its absolutely ridiculous but i cant help myself thinking about it.

On a slightly more realisitc note- Goalie, Right/centre back. With sandro coming in id be happy enough with that.- Plus torres of course

But will OHara want to stay knowing he is not 1st Choice ?

Hmm maybe champions league pull might keep him happy as a squad player. Hard to know really like he surely knows he's not gonna be an England player!

I think larry has something up his sleve myself. He's not exactly known for not buying players!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

i think keane will prob be shipped out in the summer(unfortunitly-for me, i like him) just for the reason i heard he had som,e clause in his contract when he came back from liverpool that he had to be joint highest earner at the club. this came about when we were interested in van nistelroy. not sure how true this is maybe someone can confirm or banish this rumour?????

but i think it would hinder any major signings of people demanding 100k a week wages would it not? id imaging torres would look for something in the region of that. how certain are we even torres will leave liverpool. he always stated he was happy there.

Advertisement