Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Building for 2011/12

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Appearently Falcoa is learning english in anticipation of a summer move to england

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I don't see the point in de-stabilising the team we have at present by going out on a mass spending spree.

Bring in maybe 2 or 3 quality players at most, however more importantly is that we keep the excellent core of players who have stepped up to the mark and shown their quality this season. Gomes, Bale, Dawson, King, Modric, Palacios, Huddlestone, Lennon, Defoe have all been legends this season. Add to that the major contributions from Bentley, Krancjar, Crouch, BAE and Crouch then I really don't see that we need to go out and break the bank.

What we have currently, is a team that play as a team. There's spirit there. No one individual who thinks he's too good to be playing for us (e.g. Berbatov, Carrick etc etc.).

No doubt, we'll be tested over the summer for the likes of Modric but I hope to god the board stays strong and resists the approaches from the predators like Man U and Pool etc. when it comes to it. If we do, then there's every chance that we can be right up there next season in the fight to consolidate another top four finish. If not then this years finish will go down as a 'one season wonder'.

We're going in the right direction, let's not feck it up like years gone by.

COYS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

i dont think modric will be tempted. he is very young and will stay for 12 more months to see how we get on in the champs league

i think the important thing we have is the team spirit, no one thinks (anymore) that they are bigger than the club. it was great to see fancy dan david bentley over joyed the last night , jenas was also jumping around the place. that has never happened before. the players thought they were bigger than the club. i think when you think of a club the first thought that comes into your head should be the manager and not a player, this shows that there is a team there and not a collection of individuals. when i think of

madrid - ronaldo / kaka
    united - ferguson
    chelsea - drogba
    liverpool - torres
    spurs - redknapp

harry is firmly in charge of the club and dosent take any crap from any player and look at what has happened. we are a club going in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Steven Ireland is throwing his toys out of the pram today in the paper.

Would he be worth a punt? I hate the little **** but the boy can play.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 DJ Defoe

ziedth wrote: »
    Steven Ireland is throwing his toys out of the pram today in the paper.

Would he be worth a punt? I hate the little **** but the boy can play.

I hope not! Couldn't stand to look at his upside down head every Saturday!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

Got a call from a mate today who lives in Dubai who says that Joe Cole is almost a done deal. He wants to come to WHL and it's in Spurs hands!! Would be a great addition to the team!!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Why not Steven Ireland?

He is a very good footballer and thats what counts

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

kakee wrote: »
    Why not Steven Ireland?

He is a very good footballer and thats what counts

I think your wrong mate!! It's not all that counts. The fella is a bit odd, lets be honest! You don't want anyone in the squad who is a bit of loose cannon and could make things difficult for management in the changing room etc when things don't go his way.....ie Berbatov!! We don't want players of his character we want players who want to be there for the right reasons not for money etc.... we'll excuse BAE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

I think your wrong mate!! It's not all that counts. The fella is a bit odd, lets be honest! You don't want anyone in the squad who is a bit of loose cannon and could make things difficult for management in the changing room etc when things don't go his way.....ie Berbatov!! We don't want players of his character we want players who want to be there for the right reasons not for money etc.... we'll excuse BAE!!

But is he really that difficult. We only go by what we read about him and the problems with the Irish set up. Have you read this by any chance http://www.stephenireland.com/charity/index.php Not the Stephen Ireland everyone seems to know and hate in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

DJ Defoe wrote: »
    I hope not! Couldn't stand to look at his upside down head every Saturday!!!
    upside down head :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 willyg

Well done Spurs for dumping City, Utd should give back Carrick as a thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tomo75

Steve Ireland - no way.
    I also can't see Torres going to us even if we put a bid in for him.

I'd prefer to have the wage sturcture in place versus paying 100K a week for a player who may or may not show up on match day.

One 'special' signing will be enough for Harry Redknapp

• Spurs secure Bale for four years
    • Manager believes squad is strong

Gareth-Bale-006.jpg Gareth Bale has signed a four-year deal with Tottenham. Photograph: Tony Marshall/Empics Sport

Harry Redknapp has told Tottenham Hotspur supporters not to expect the club to make many signings over the summer because his squad is already strong enough to mount challenges in both the Premier League and the Champions League next season. He did, however, suggest that he could venture into the transfer market to sign "one really special player".
    Tottenham also announced that they have pre-empted any attempt by other clubs to sign one of their best performers of the season by agreeing a new four-year deal with the left-back Gareth Bale.
    To stress how strong he believes his squad is, Redknapp pointed to the calibre of substitutes that he was able to select for Wednesday's victory at Manchester City, when the Spurs bench included internationals such as Wilson Palacios, Roman Pavlyuchenko, Eidur Gudjohnsen and Sébastien Bassong.
    His optimism is increased by the fact that Sandro, the 21-year-old Brazilian midfielder for whom Spurs paid £6m to Internacional last month, will arrive over the summer. The manager said the four players out on loan – Robbie Keane (Celtic), Alan Hutton (Sunderland), Jamie O'Hara (Portsmouth) and Kyle Naughton (Middlesbrough) – are all in his plans for the campaign ahead. Redknapp even sounded hopeful that Jonathan Woodgate would be fit for the start of next season. The centre-back is still in Australia receiving treatment on the groin injury that has kept him out of action since October.
    "It's difficult to improve this squad," Redknapp said. "If Woodgate comes back fit, we've got good options everywhere. I wouldn't lose any sleep if we don't do anything this summer. But if we could find a really special player, someone who could take the team to another level like, for example, the way [Fernando] Torres did to Liverpool, then we'll try to do that. It might only be one player – one expensive player – but then we might go for it. But I'm certainly not chasing [chairman] Daniel [Levy] for transfer funds and I don't want four or five players – I wouldn't know what to do with them."
    Redknapp, who has been named Barclays manager of the season, said one person who certainly will not be seen during Tottenham's Champions League adventures next season is his wife. "No chance, I'm very superstitious," he said, explaining that the only match she attended this season was the FA Cup semi-final that Spurs surprisingly lost to Portsmouth.
    That setback may have had an unexpected benefit, as Redknapp says it gave his players extra impetus in the race for fourth spot in the Premier League. "I think if we'd won the semi-final we might not have finished fourth," he said. "People might have started looking forward to the Cup final but instead they started thinking we've done well all year and now we might end up with nothing and that made them come back strongly."

I'd be delighted with one expensive signing really

• Registered Users Posts: 38 DJ Defoe

Fantastic post but seriously, why are we still paying for Woodgate? Hes been gone almost all season and we got here without him! I would not be joking when i say i forgot he was even our player! Cut him loose ffs!!!

i am a strong believer that joe cole and carrick and bellamy will be at spurs next season. did you see when harry was walking off the pitch after city, bellamy came up and shook his hand and there was something there i thought, some kind of unspoken word that said "harry, make a bid and ill come to the lane"

if we got those 3 players and a striker, get rid of jenas , keane and bentley and we will challenge for the title next season

I have to agree with mickman.

Serious amount of dickheadry coming in though if we were to get Cole, Bellamy and Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

ziedth wrote: »
    I have to agree with mickman.

Serious amount of dickheadry coming in though if we were to get Cole, Bellamy and Ireland

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

mickman wrote: »
    i am a strong believer that joe cole and carrick and bellamy will be at spurs next season. did you see when harry was walking off the pitch after city, bellamy came up and shook his hand and there was something there i thought, some kind of unspoken word that said "harry, make a bid and ill come to the lane"

if we got those 3 players and a striker, get rid of jenas , keane and bentley and we will challenge for the title next season

Totally disagree.

We seem to have a happy and united dressing room at the moment, Bellamy would disrupt that straight away. While he is a very good player he has caused trouble almost everywhere he has been and he has no loyalty at all.

Joe Cole is too injury prone, he was top quality for 18 months under Mourinho but otherwise he seems to have lived off this reputation he got as a youngster at West Ham. I'm not sure that he is an improvement over Modric/Kranjcar/Lennon/Bale, even Bentley.

As for Carrick, please no. Hudd has come on leaps and bounds this season, he has a good passing range and gets about the pitch more than Carrick ever did.

We've also been linked with Benayoun and Pienaar. I'd like to see us get Pienaar as a replacement for Bentley, he seems to put in a performance each week, while I think Benayoun goes missing in a lot of games.

See that's what it comes down too, who can come into midfield who is a step up from bale, Lennon, luka and hudd.

Maybe joe cole when fit and top of his game but I would take bale ahead of him now.

I think a top top striker is the way forward. Someone big who Defoe can work off but is leathal to boot.

I say never sell crouch for his heroics but he is not a long or even medium term option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Carrick no way...
    Cole? Harry would definitely get the best out of him, if fit!

The body language between HR and Bellamy suggested HR was saying "tough luck Craig should have joined the mighty yiddos!!"

He'll be 31 in July so I don't see him having much to offer long term? As for throwing his toys out of the pram, Bentley and Pav all man managed into performing for the club so I wouldn't see that as an obstacle....

By 'one special player' I'm guessing Harry is would be in the market for one player to galvanise the attack, who can unlock the bus parking teams when its needed Stoke, Wolves etc. Would have to be the Calibre of Tevez, Torres, Rooney, Drogba....?

Im sure Levy and Harry will have a shortlist of possibilities, exciting times at WHL!!

• Advertisement

Carrick no way...

The body language between HR and Bellamy suggested HR was saying "tough luck Craig should have joined the mighty yiddos!!"

He'll be 31 in July so I don't see him having much to offer long term? As for throwing his toys out of the pram, Bentley and Pav all man managed into performing for the club so I wouldn't see that as an obstacle....

By 'one special player' I'm guessing Harry is would be in the market for one player to galvanise the attack, who can unlock the bus parking teams when its needed Stoke, Wolves etc. Would have to be the Calibre of Tevez, Torres, Rooney, Drogba....?

Im sure Levy and Harry will have a shortlist of possibilities, exciting times at WHL!!
    Ya when you think about it if we had been able to unlock those defenses plus dissapointing draws against Birmingham Everton villa twice thats the difference between challanging for the league and not*

*Not saying I expect to challange next year I'm realistic :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Carrick no way...

David Villa would fit the bill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

ibrahimovic might be available,cant see levy matching his rumoured 12m per annum salary.

I wouldn't mind villa myself!

I think that is the kind of man he is after.

Someone like Klose I would like but better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

I think i'd go all out for the Bosnian boy Edin Dzeko......
    CL experience, strong, skillful and clinical
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYg9yNzjBhM

Would link up with Luka and Niko nicely?!
    I'm still dreaming I think:)

carrick would be a squad player, not first name on the team sheet

plus bellamy would be a great addition i think. harry loves him and he aint happy at city. bale would be first choice but if he is having a bad game then on comes bellamy. thats some sub to have

he also loves joe cole and he is a fine player. he scores way more goals than luca or tom and if we are to compete we need plenty free scoring midfielders.

who mentioned ibrahimovic? if he joined spurs then id be sick. he is rubbish

but if someone held a gun to my head and say you can get one kind of player who would it be this summer, then id have to say a world class striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

DJ Defoe wrote: »
    Fantastic post but seriously, why are we still paying for Woodgate? Hes been gone almost all season and we got here without him! I would not be joking when i say i forgot he was even our player! Cut him loose ffs!!!

Terrible post there DJ, I heard people say the same thing about King a few years ago too. :mad:.

Woodgate has been outstanding for Spurs both on and off the pitch. An absolute credit to himself and his family. Whilst we were dancing around last Wednesday he was on his own in a dingy apartment on the otehr side of the world having just come back from 14 hours in a gym trying to prove the latest doctor wrong.

Woody if fit will be a nice player to have around for the champions league IMHO

Advertisement