Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

yamaha rx-v365 set up

• 06-05-2010 9:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭

New to this and I recently got an rx-v 365 receiver. So far I have got the ps3 going through it with hdmi and optical, and hdmi out to the tv. Now I want to connect a dvd player and the ntl box to the reciever also.
    Whats the best way to acheive this? I got 2 scart-to-component (green,blue,red) cables that I hoped would take the connection to the receiver. Will that allow the video output from both to be displayed to the tv via the hdmi cable, or does that only work hdmi - to - hdmi.
    Or do I need a further component-to-scart cable running from the receiver to the tv? Any help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

SCART does not convert to component, so your best quality from the NTL box is S-Video. The DVD player quite possibly does have component output (Red, Green and Blue RCA plugs), or it may have HDMI, which would be preferable. If it only has SCART output, then like the NTL box your best quality is S-Video. Composite (Yellow RCA) is possible in both circumstances and if you want component you will have to use an RGB-Component Converter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

SCART should also be able to carry RGB, depending on the device(s). It's far superior to S-VIDEO, thus preferred. Have a look around in the menus / manuals to see if it's supported.

Mathiasb wrote: »
    SCART should also be able to carry RGB, depending on the device(s). It's far superior to S-VIDEO, thus preferred. Have a look around in the menus / manuals to see if it's supported.

AVR's and AVP's are very unlikely to accept RGB signals. Some standalone video processors do, but I'm fairly confident that the yamaha doesn't hence why I said S-Video is best accessible direct from the ntl box to the AVR.

On the other hand, some DVD/HD recorders may accept an RGB signal over scart and allow output over Component (my pioneer does for example).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

nereid wrote: »
    AVR's and AVP's are very unlikely to accept RGB signals. Some standalone video processors do, but I'm fairly confident that the yamaha doesn't hence why I said S-Video is best accessible direct from the ntl box to the AVR.

On the other hand, some DVD/HD recorders may accept an RGB signal over scart and allow output over Component (my pioneer does for example).
    thanks for the replies. I think the yamaha will accept RGB -see image here
    however you said earlier the ntl box wouldnt transmit that way. So now what i have is an adaptor in the ntl scart connection, with the red,white,yellow outputs, and have the red and white going into the Yamaha, with the yellow going straight to the tv. so i now have the ntl sound through the speakers at least.
    Im not too worried about the dvd player as I use the PS3 for that mostly, and I might just leave the dvd going straight to the tv, scart - to - scart. (and it doesn't have HD out)

last question is - would I be as well to run the 3 cables into the Yamaha from the ntl, and then do the reverse into the TV scart socket? Am I losing picture quality taking the yellow lead from ntl box into the TV's AV input?

Although the image you provide shows 3 RCA sockets coloured Red, Green and Blue, they are in fact labeled as Y, Pb, Pr. This is component as opposed to RGB.

Technically speaking, RGB contains the three primary colour signals, but generally also uses a Sync signal (for example on Green) meaning 4 connectors, or RGB-HV aka VGA.

Have a read of the article here, particularly the section on Video Electronics.

Component Video on the other hand, is the more common name for YPbPr
    wikipedia wrote:
    YPbPr is converted from the RGB video signal, which is split into three components, Y, PB, and PR.

* Y carries luma (brightness) and sync information.
    * PB carries the difference between blue and luma (B − Y).
    * PR carries the difference between red and luma (R − Y).

• Advertisement
Advertisement