Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell Inspiron 14Z 14-inch notebook (Dual Core SU4100 1.3 GHz etc) - €484.85 delivered

• 06-05-2010 9:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭

Dell Inspiron 14Z 14-inch notebook (Dual Core SU4100 1.3 GHz, 3 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, DVD RW, 8 Hours Battery Life, WLAN, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Obsidian Black)

314budz8m%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Buy it @ Amazon
    Product Features

* Intel Pentium SU4100 1.3GHz
    * 14 inch widescreen XGA WLED display
    * Bluetooth and Wireless Enabled
    * Windows 7 Home Premium
    * Up to 8hrs 25 mins battery life

Technical Details

Processor Brand: Intel
    Processor Model: Intel Pentium SU4100
    Chipset: GS40
    Processor Speed: 1.3 GHz
    Front Side Bus: 800 MHz
    Cache Size: 2 Mb
    Memory Size: 3 Gb
    Memory Type: DDR3 1067 Mhz
    Hard Drive Capacity: 500 Gb
    Optical Drive: DVD+/-RW
    Screen Size: 14.0 inch
    Widescreen: Yes
    Screen Type: WLED
    Brite Screen Technology: Truelife
    Webcam: 1.3 MP
    Wireless: Yes
    Wireless type: 1397 wireless card
    Graphics Type: Integrated
    Graphic Card: Integrated GMA 4500 MHD
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium
    Included Software: MS Works
    TV Tuner: ---
    Floppy Disk Drive: ---
    TV Out: ---
    Modem: ---
    USB: 2 x USB 2.0
    Firewire: ---
    Bluetooth: Yes
    ESATA: ---
    Other Interfaces: WIFI 802.11 b/g
    Battery Type: 6-cell, lithium-ion, 60 W/Hr
    Battery Life: up to 8 hrs 25 mins
    Colour: Black
    LAN: Yes
    Dimensions (WxDxH): 347 x 242 x 26.3 - 29.3 mm
    Weight: 2.08 Kg
    Warranty: 1 year Collect and Return

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

whats that pentium cpu like? I presume its something like
    atom < dual atom < dual pentium < dual core2 < new core3/5/6 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Its a ULV Processor, so emphasis is on battery life really. Any processor with SU is a ULV processor

So I think it's a bit more,

atoms < lower-end ULVs (single-core Celeron) < mid-to-high ULVs (Pentiums, Core2-ULVs) < Core 2 < i-Cores

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I've the Acer Timeline version of this- with a 15.6" screen. Battery life is very impressive, and its reasonably robust with the dual core processor. One point- the graphics are particularly awful- entirely satisfactory for general web browsing or doing some office work- but for multimedia apps really really bad. Definitely not a gaming laptop.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

aye, i have the came crap graphics in my laptop. can just about manage HD video playback (but not AVCHD from my hd camcorder:()

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

How would HD videos perform on this?

Just looking at the latest Netbooks coming out, with the ION 2 GPU and they can handle HD videos brilliantly and have up to 10 hour battery but they are expensive (about €400).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Dman001 wrote: »

Just looking at the latest Netbooks coming out, with the ION 2 GPU and they can handle HD videos brilliantly and have up to 10 hour battery but they are expensive (about €400).

It can handle HD video- but is incredibly processor intensive- and consequently battery life would be very poor. Something with an ION/ION2 chip (or a discrete video card that has hardware decoding capabilities) would be a far better proposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I think Ill hold out for the Next Gen Netbooks then.

The only advantage this Dell would have over them for me is a DVD Drive and I never use it anyway. I'm so used to the portability of a Netbook that I'd find it hard to go back to a regular sized notebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Dman001 wrote: »

A 1.3GHz Core2Duo should handle most H264 based video up to 1080p.

Its hard to be definitive because the complexity of H264 encoded videos can vary a lot (depending on resolution, bitrate, profile etc), but with an efficient decoder like CoreAVC you should be sorted for most typical content.

In addition, the 4500MHD offers some limited video acceleration. Its not as powerful or well-implemented as the likes of a discrete Nvidia card, but if you can get it working it'll take further load of the CPU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I have similar specced 13z which was more expensive when i bought it at xmas, and they are really fast for office work, amazing battery life very good screen, hard to fault really.. Very hard to beat at that price...

Advertisement