Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Define your daytime style

• 06-05-2010 9:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭

Recently noticed while walking down grafton street that Irish girls (and guys) are becoming way more stylish. While some people feel more
    comfortable in tracksuits or hoodies which is completely their choice
    it's all about what you feel comfortable in, . Personally I wear short daytime dresses
    with heels and over the knee socks or with boots and a fitted jacket or
    long cardigan. Other times skirts with various tops or skinny jeans
    with leather jacket/ nice top always try to accessorise too. Usually
    wear a little make up.
    How would
    you define your personal style or do you prefer to make an effort for
    just going out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

I don't think my style comes into play until I go out at night. I'm a college student, and quite frankly am not bothered to get dressed up just to mope around campus. I wear what's comfortable- leggings, skinny jeans, long tops, cardigans, shirts, boots, skirts and tights. I only wear heels at night or if I've to go to something that requires me to dress up that bit more than usual during the day- plays havoc with your achilles tendons if worn regularly. Some days I wear makeup, like if I'm meeting friends or my boyfriend but an average day in college, I won't. Like to give my skin a rest from heavy foundations, powders, etc. Also I think if people dress up during the day, there isn't that same "wow" factor when they get dolled up to go out. It's kind of a matter of "Oh, there's X. Same hairstyle, bit more eyeshadow, higher heels. How exciting (not)"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Tights, boots, shorts, long tops and a waist belt. And a scarf. The last two are an always.

Also wear blazers, skinny jeans and short dresses

Same as above really. As a student I dont have the time to wear anything thats not utterly functional, and cost is always an issue too.

I do have dress up days where I put things together that I have never worn before though. Wore a blue and white stripe skirt with a black tutu under it to push it out and a purple top with a blue corsage yesterday... something to cheer me up during exams. I should really get off the computer. I have an exam at 3. Effort of getting to the RDS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I don't think I have a daytime style, I change what I wear all the time. I like clothes that look like they could belong to my granny though :pac: I really like big chunky cardigans, if they have a crazy pattern - even better. I like tops and dresses that are really delicate and floaty, I love anything lace. Florals are good too, but florals that look old.

I wear skinny jeans, with a top that is HUGE! No idea why but always wear exceptionally tight jeans and buy tops like two or three sizes too big!

Accessory-wise, I like vintage - vintage bags and jewelery. I have what I call a granny bag, it looks like it was made from a piece of carpet and I love it.

Pretty much dress up every day, I think. Always wear make up, always have my nails painted. I don't think that means when I go out at night people look at me and think, "Oh, same as everyday". When I go out, I do dress up MORE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

I don't know how I would define mine... bit of hippy/boho, bit vintage, bit rockabilly definately not couture though :p

Everything I wear has to be uber pretty and feminine.

Lots of floaty little flowery dresses (I don't wear trousers they do nothing for me inspiration wise) and dainty shoes (boots in the winter), don't do heels ever, I'm too interested in comfort and dancing. I live in sandals in the summer.

I love rockabilly style and other fifties style dresses and own about a million tea dresses.

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=6542569

I like really dramatic jewellry and wear loads of silver rings, I wear ankle bracelets and toe rings in the summer all the time. I like chunky roughly polished stone jewellry and ethnic stuff

ankletj163sil.jpg

silver_rgrm.jpg

I also have a penchant for bindhis:

chip%20bindi.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_9ZgYbqWKpMA/SwVnctHkKYI/AAAAAAAAGmk/aKXBo0qcQRc/s1600/DSC04662.JPG

Thats not me btw (I wish!)

I love sari silk and almost anything made in India, I wear silk most days in some form or another.

skirt3.jpg

Hats I love hats especially flapper hats: cloche2.jpg

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=11911206

These are a staple in the winter.

Vintage fitted blazers or otherwise a really dramatic coat (vintage style usually) if its wet or cold.

All my colours have to be perfect, I love coordinating all my colours and I like to be really colourful and use deep tones to compliment my hair. My all time favourite colour combo is purple and green and I wear them a lot together

purplegreen.jpg

Always always wear make up, I'm super pasty and look sick otherwise. I keep it natural and subtle though even at night time, I don't wear colourdy eye shadow or anything.

Never bother doing anything with my hair, its always down and a big curly mess, its nearly hip length now. I like hair accessories though and like making my own out of silk flowers and peacock feathers etc.

I'm not majorily into bags, i have a perfect old leather stachel from a charity shop that I love as much as life itself that I stay faithful too at all times.

Basically I'm pretty flamboyant all the time, I figure you're only young once and might as well enjoy yourself and be expressive while you can really pull it off, I'm getting my first wrinkles now so got to make the most of it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

First lad, whoo.:p

Usually wear jeans(normal fit, not baggy or tight), with a t-shirt or jersey, white runners(Nike convers-ish ones or Adidas) and sometimes a jacket(decent looking, not Nike or Adidas, like) if I'm just out and about.

If I'm lazy I'll throw on a tracksuit, jersey, a hoody and runners.

Usually with my hair spiked on top with the fringe down if it's short(atm) or kinda messy looking if it's long.

• Advertisement

Novella wrote: »
    Pretty much dress up every day, I think. Always wear make up, always have my nails painted. I don't think that means when I go out at night people look at me and think, "Oh, same as everyday". When I go out, I do dress up MORE!

I'm the exact same I love looking my absolute best all the time, I feel much better in myself then. Although having said that my idea of my best might not be much in other peoples opinions seeing as I don't bother with my hair or nails etc. When I go out then I just wear something a bit more crazy or expressive than I'd wear during the day (usually for fear of getting beaten up by scum bags :pac:) and stick bindhi on for an instant princess effect! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    I'm the exact same I love looking my absolute best all the time, I feel much better in myself then. Although having said that my idea of my best might not be much in other peoples opinions seeing as I don't bother with my hair or nails etc. When I go out then I just wear something a bit more crazy or expressive than I'd wear during the day (usually for fear of getting beaten up by scum bags :pac:) and stick bindhi on for an instant princess effect! :)
    Sapsorrow I love your style! I feel exactly the same we are only young once
    and looking good makes you feel good so why not make the most of yourself.
    Unfortunately there will always be the remarks "You must be up at 4 a.m. choosing
    outfits" or comments like that but I think it's a personal choice, I like to look
    my best everyday.

miss5 wrote: »
    Sapsorrow I love your style! I feel exactly the same we are only young once
    and looking good makes you feel good so why not make the most of yourself.
    Unfortunately there will always be the remarks "You must be up at 4 a.m. choosing
    outfits" or comments like that but I think it's a personal choice, I like to look
    my best everyday.

Aw thanks, my styles not very cool or fashionable but I enjoy myself! :)
    I spend so little time getting ready, make up is done in five or ten minutes max and sure it only takes five minutes to get dressed! Its so worth it and I cheer myself up no end when I put together an outfit I really like and then can enjoy for the rest of the day. Its amazing what a difference it makes to your mood. I especially love being really colourful when the weathers crap and its all grey and miserable because at least when you look at yourself you get a bit of colour in your day. I think not having to brush my hair (you do not want to see my hair after being brushed its scary) or do anything with it saves me a few minutes though ;)

I'm the same I only straighten my hair a couple of days a week, It takes way to
    long in the morning and it only takes the same amount of time to put on something
    nice as tracksuits etc.

I'm the same I only straighten my hair a couple of days a week, It takes way to
    long in the morning and it only takes the same amount of time to put on something
    nice as tracksuits etc.

Totally and I'm a firm believer that a dress is the most comfortable item of clothing in existence too! Love dresses, don't get me started! Just bid on a yellow and white polka dot halterneck rockabilly dress on ebay a minute ago oh the suspense!

• Advertisement

Hope you get it, It sounds fab!

I love dresses, I love looking feminine and a nice dress epitomises that.

I love dresses, I love looking feminine and a nice dress epitomises that.

Damn right wearing dresses is quite possibly the best thing about being a chick! I often think thank god I'm not a guy I wouldn't get to wear so many pretty things! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

im a guy and id say during the daytime i just dress casual jeans(slim,bootcut mainly) and then shirt and zip up top. if i actually get up early to iron id probaley wear some more fancy stuff. i never wear tracksuit bottoms unless i go for a run i just dont like wearing them to be honest

I wouldn't say I look my best all the time, not by a long shot, but I wouldn't go further than the local shop for a pint milk wearing sweat pants! I just like clothes so I like getting dressed up and I feel happier than if I was wearing a tracksuit everyday or something!

I never look amazing though! I like 'undone' chic! :pac: (Not grubby though, and definitely not 'I have back-combed my hair to make myself look like I just fallen out of bed'!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I'm the exact same I love looking my absolute best all the time, I feel much better in myself then.

Exactly the same here. I don't wear extravagant clothing during the daytime by any means but it's often how you wear your clothes. Plain clothes are totally fine if you wear them right and even one item of style can set the whole thing off.

For instance, today, from the bottom up, I was wearing black converse, dark blue skinny jeans, a plain black t-shirt, a grey mac and a grey hat. The t-shirt and jeans woulda been fine on their own (I've a fairly broad chest and the t-shirt was nicely fitted to accentuate that) but the coat and hat gave it... pnash! I always try to stand out just enough to get noticed. Not that I'm an attention whore (in the slightest) but I meet an awful lot of new people on a daily basis and dressing well does two things:

1. Gives off a positive message of you and, thus, gets you remembered.
    and
    2. Gives an easy conversation-opener: Loadsa people start convos with me by saying "That's a really nice coat, where'd you get it?"

:)

Exactly the same here. I don't wear extravagant clothing during the daytime by any means but it's often how you wear your clothes. Plain clothes are totally fine if you wear them right and even one item of style can set the whole thing off.

For instance, today, from the bottom up, I was wearing black converse, dark blue skinny jeans, a plain black t-shirt, a grey mac and a grey hat. The t-shirt and jeans woulda been fine on their own (I've a fairly broad chest and the t-shirt was nicely fitted to accentuate that) but the coat and hat gave it... pnash! I always try to stand out just enough to get noticed. Not that I'm an attention whore (in the slightest) but I meet an awful lot of new people on a daily basis and dressing well does two things:

1. Gives off a positive message of you and, thus, gets you remembered.
    and
    2. Gives an easy conversation-opener: Loadsa people start convos with me by saying "That's a really nice coat, where'd you get it?"

:)

Sounds like a cute outfit! I think looking your best is relative too, I mean my idea of looking my very best would never go so far as having my nails/hair done, high heals, gold/glitzy jewellry, fake eye lashes/tan, heavy maekup etc because thats just not my style so in all likliehood a lot of people probably assume I'm not making much effort at all because I'm not really bothered about looking neat and tidy or too sophisticated.

Like my hair looks like it could make a very nice home to a nest of baby birds sometimes because theres so much of it and its very unruly but I've not interest in straightening it, I like it the way it is.

trolls-doll-red-hair.jpg

:eek: No only messing its nicer than that!

At the same time I would never ever go out wearing trackies in public unless it was to go to the gym, even though I live in the sticks :D

I agree with that one statement piece can completely change an outfit.
    I notice guys are becoming a lot more fashionable and it's nice to see
    a change from tracksuits and ill fitting jeans.

I agree with that one statement piece can completely change an outfit.
    I notice guys are becoming a lot more fashionable and it's nice to see
    a change from tracksuits and ill fitting jeans.

People often say that I'm "a total girl" for making sure I dress well (and double-checking my outfits for my bro and sister's approvals before leaving the house) but I'm generally the best dressed lad in my group on a night out so eff them! :P

I think any guy with a good sense of style in Ireland will always
    get the "metrosexual" comments, In London and New York you would
    notice some guys are individual and really out there in their fashion
    sense.

but I'm generally the best dressed lad in my group on a night out so eff them! :P

Damn right nothing like a man who can dress himself its such a blessing to be going out with one! I'm not fussy about a guy being handsome or anything but I really like a snazzy dresser I find it a really attractive trait in a bloke.

• Advertisement

I think any guy with a good sense of style in Ireland will always
    get the "metrosexual" comments, In London and New York you would
    notice some guys are individual and really out there in their fashion
    sense.

I get it all the time. There's actually nothing effeminate about me in the slightest. If anything, I'm overly manly (big hairy legs and facial hair grows inches in hours :P ) but Irish men ('the lads' especially) just can't handle it.
    Damn right nothing like a man who can dress himself its such a blessing to be going out with one! I'm not fussy about a guy being handsome or anything but I really like a snazzy dresser I find it a really attractive trait in a bloke.

Yeah, it's an attractive trait in anyone. I really couldn't date a girl who didn't know how to dress well. Well I could, obviously... But I'd try to change her...... clothes.

Yeah, it's an attractive trait in anyone. I really couldn't date a girl who didn't know how to dress well. Well I could, obviously... But I'd try to change her...... clothes.

Ya been there myself, man I bought that guy a LOT of clothes! Very subtle eh! :pac: Man I won't even go into what he used to wear it was too horrific.

My boyfriend dresses well, quite similarly to yourself dark jeans, fitted t-shirts
    with a nice jacket and some of his friends think he is watching to much sex
    and the city with me lol and he is very masculine.
    I think dressing well instantly makes someone more
    attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

It depends. When I´m at work it depends. It can be casual(jeans and top) alternative like today(wearing a kaftan and wide trousers). In weekends and spare time, well I´m gothic so out comes the long flowing medieval/fantasy style gowns tops and skirts....

My boyfriend dresses well, quite similarly to yourself dark jeans, fitted t-shirts
    with a nice jacket and some of his friends think he is watching to much sex
    and the city with me lol and he is very masculine.
    I think dressing well instantly makes someone more
    attractive.

Mines the same, mine wears really nice shirts, flares, vintage zippies, vintage velevet blazers, army style hats, lots of silver rings, nice addidas runners etc and people often assume he's gay again he's got a very masculine personality too (apart maybe from loving going cholthes shopping ;)). He doesn't watch sex in the city but he loves desperate housewives every bit as much as I do! :pac:

I think it's great to see guys taking an interest unfortunately they will
    always get slagged off by ther friends but they will definetly get more
    girls!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

I like dressing up during the day instead of dressing down (except when suffering with a hangover).

I usually wear skinny jeans and a check shirt. Really like the geeky kinda look at the moment, so would have the check shirt buttoned all the way up. Other days I'd wear a polo tshirt buttoned up and cardigans. Like mixing and matching aswell, maybe having a check shirt with an open cardigan or a polo tshirt buttoned up with a vneck jumper over it. Then usually throw a beanie on if I cant be arsed doing me hair :D.

I got this real retro converse gym bag off ebay recently. Really great for when going away for weekends and still wanting to look the part in the airport.
    http://www.converseallstars.org/r-converse-gym-bag-41.htm

I like the way more fellas are getting into their fashion and dont feel as "gay" as they would a few years ago. Keep it up lads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

In work I tone down my usual style, which is rock/goth style or if I'm feeling lazy, a top and skirt. At weekends I definitely put effort into what I am wearing. I love dresses and skirts and I like to do my hair and makeup properly. I like to accessorise with long chains, crosses etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Sapsorrow, I really like your style.

If I give you a guide to my style, can you all excuse the fact I have been and will be dressed in baggy jeans, scruffy tee and cardi for the past 2 weeks and next 2 weeks because I'm locked in my college room doing this thesis? Greasy hair, no make-up; very unlike me!!

I love the rockabilly look, always have, always will I think! I love my high waisted pencil skirts (bought a few in H and M last year on sale, they were so cheap, not amazing quality but lasted me a while), high waisted shorts and skinny jeans. I have had my eye on a pair of high waisted skinnies in Miss Selfridge but haven't had the cash...:(
    Generally I wear fitted v-neck tops, usually black and cardi's with them. my fave cardi being my neony pink leopard print one I bought on sale last year. http://www.polyvore.com/pink_animal_print_cardigan/thing?id=8013952
    I love mustard (the colour) and usually wear a dash of yellow a few times a week. Bought mustard tights last year and while I haven't worn them a lot, I love them,

Shoe wise, it tends to be Converse, try stay away from Penney's shoes unless I have a specific outfit that I just need shoes for a night or so to match it. I have a great pair of boots I got there last year tho, amazing and made from leather. Hoping they will be back in store this winter as people have stopped me and asked where I bought them, and are shockec to hear Penneys!

Staples for me are scarves, hair things be it clips, flowers, ribbons or anything I can make pin into my hair.

Skinny jeans are what I usually wears on alternate days with dresses and skirts.. try to find unique enough stuff but very often it's a fiver on Penneys or Dunnes sales rack helped along with a stitch here or there or a button/ribbon.

I'm fussy with bags; at the minute have a grey gun metal satchel which I adore, and I also use a navy shoulder bag from Topshop (I call it a pudding bowl bag cos that's what it looks like!). I preefr to find one I like and use it to death.

At the mo I'm especially loving knee socks, over knee socks and the fact I'm en route to white blonde hair a nice change from dark:)

*Actually , if you search this forum, I just remembered how there was a thread where everyone got a chance to be questioned on their peronsal style, post pics and generally oogle at others styles...maybe last year? It was fun!

• Advertisement

*Actually , if you search this forum, I just remembered how there was a thread where everyone got a chance to be questioned on their peronsal style, post pics and generally oogle at others styles...maybe last year? It was fun!

I loved that! :) Completely forgot about it! In The Well or something it was called! Again, again!!

I can't find it!! Aggh! Ha, and I realised I was as in love with my pink cardi back then as I am now..eeek! Someone needs new clothes!!

Great idea Lady Pennyworth, Might be a good idea to post examples of daytime/personal style
    here and discuss them! Any thoughts?

Great idea Lady Pennyworth, Might be a good idea to post examples of daytime/personal style
    here and discuss them! Any thoughts?

See it's been done, called 'In the Well' I think,maybe 6 months ago? Always worth doing it again tho. I'll have a look when I have better internet access or if someone else can find it go ahead!

Not sure if we can reply to a thread 6 months old though.

Actually I was thinking a sticky where you post pictures of the outfits your wearing on any given day would be brilliant, kinda suprised there isn't one already!

• Advertisement

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055653582

I think they had thought about making it a sticky before, I agree Sapsorrow
    a thread where you discuss the outfits your wearing/personal style would be great.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055653582
    QUOTE]

Oh yeah there was like a separate thread for each person..bit awkward now tho trying to find each one so def think a post your outfit thread would be fun..and trying to find someone to take the photos as self timer photos are never as good! Get your glad rags out folks!

I agree getting good photos on any given day could be tricky, Unless
    you could get screenshots of all your pieces online.

I'd be well up for it as soon as I get my camera fixed, it was my plan to do it for the blog anyway. I'm sure if we just start one if it gains popularity it'll get stickied, I think it'd be more interesting to see everyones pics than asking questions myself.

I'm sure if you were only to do it once in a while they're always be someone around to take a shot for you. I plan on getting the boyf to do mine for the blog anyway.

• Advertisement

I think there are some great threads but it would be great to see more on the personal
    style of the users.

I think there are some great threads but it would be great to see more on the personal
    style of the users.

Totally you can only get so much of a picture through a verbal description aswell, you'd be able to get loads of inspiration from everyone. If I had a working camera I'd get the ball rolling right now I love what I'm wearing today! :D

Are you starting a blog Sapsorrow?

Are you starting a blog Sapsorrow?

Ya well originally I was planning on doing one by myself just where I post pictures of my outfits but now a group of us (all boardians) are going to do a collaberative effort, kind of like chictopia where you all post your outfits for the day and throw in other little fun bits and pieces like competitions and swapping clothes to make outfits around etc.

I think it'd be cool if we had a thread where we could post pics of our outfits day to day! I'd definitely do it!

I just mentioned on another thread a swap shop would be a really good idea too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Novella wrote: »
    I think it'd be cool if we had a thread where we could post pics of our outfits day to day! I'd definitely do it!

Yeah Private Eye suggested it before! If people are into it I'll send a message around to the mods and we'll see if we can make it work, forge out a wee charter for it.

Not sure how the swap shop will fit in around the charter and adverts.ie and all that. Will look into it.

Twee. wrote: »
    Yeah Private Eye suggested it before! If people are into it I'll send a message around to the mods and we'll see if we can make it work, forge out a wee charter for it.

Thanks a million, Twee! <3

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Our own little LookBook!

Anyway to be on topic, my day to day is pretty simple! I like really indigo skinny jeans with low top Converse. I love my cowboy boots and brogues too. Tops wise I have LOADS of long sleeved Breton stripe ones that look great a bit oversized. Lots of blazers too. Sunglasses are a must! I have a day time shoulder bag that's canvas and leather. Not a fussy style!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I almost always wear skirts/dresses with a pair a converse. And maybe a baggy jumper/leather jacket. I have 1 pair of (very very skinny) jeans that I like, so I wear them too the odd time. My hair is usually in plaits or in a big hairband. Don't really have a definable "style". When i go out I'm usually dressed the same, with a bit more make-up. Unless I'm going to a shitty nightclub in Cork with college people where they won't let you in unless you dress a certain way. Then I swap the converse for pumps, ha!

• Advertisement
Advertisement