Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on possible credit card fraud

Options
  • 06-05-2010 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭

A family member of mine paid a company to build a website for her late last year. The company took a first charge and another monthly charge from her credit card and have done nothing since, fobbing her off on the phone when she rings up to ask about the progress.

How would she go about getting the money back? What are her rights? Can you claim these things back through the credit card? The company claimed to be working for google but the charges are from two other companies which looks suspicious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Contact the credit card company and explain the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Check see if the company gave her a completion date for the site. If they have gone over this then say you are taking them to the small claims court.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

A web design company that works for google? Lies all lies

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Cabaal wrote: »
    A web design company that works for google? Lies all lies

Yeah, you get a few emails (nearly one a month) offering such a service. Thankfully I know better than to deal with such scams. But, people do fall for this, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

dudara wrote: »
    Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

Sorry, wasn't sure what forum to post in.

It does seem like a scam to me, I was surprised the company answered the phone. The number was a UK one and the credit card was charged in sterling, I wasn't told this the other day. I suppose this rules out small claims.
    Would a credit card have fraud protection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

It's not fraud if you are knowingly allowing the card to be charged.

Contact the credit card company and block the payments and tell them that these charges are un-authorised and fraudulant. Then contact the authorities in the UK and give any known details of the company.

Then tell your bank you've contacted the UK Police regarding a fruad on your card.

Banks have blanket insurance against fraud and in Ireland at least, are obliged to refund any proven fraud on your card.

Best of luck, but contact your bank this second and block the payments on your card.

Advertisement