Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new wheels, when to get them serviced?

• 06-05-2010 9:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

I happen to have upgraded my wheels from my old commuter a couple of weeks ago, and I have received my new bike via the bike to work scheme.

So I have 4 new wheels.

I intend to keep on using both bikes.

When should I get the wheels serviced again? After 30 days of cycling?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

Really nobody?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Wouldn't normally expect to get new wheels serviced in isolation. Clearly if you think there is something wrong with any of them take them back. The only thing I could think of would be if a spoke felt loose, but other than that there is not much that can go wrong (until you hit that pothole!)

You may, of course, want to take your new "bike to work" bike back for a checkover after a month or two, but I suspect they would not look at anything in particular on the wheels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

New wheels don't need servicing. They may need re-trueing if they were not properly stress-relieved, but you'll know that because they'll be out of true.

If they look fine they are fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

these i dont really touch bearings in wheels, just a quick check of the spokes every few months (but i'm lazy and i find most modern bike components are prett much throwaway items once they wear - like most things really)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

On my old cheap bike I used to clean out and regrease the hubs after about 4000km. I haven't done the rear wheel on my new bike, even though it's done about that now, but I did the front, because I could see grease emerging from the hub.

I know that in rainy, sandy or dusty conditions (we know which applies in Ireland) it used to be recommended to overhaul the hubs every few months.

E.g. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/hubs.html

Not sure whether that still applies to more modern wheels. I'm assuming that if the hub has loose bearings and is not sealed that it's still good advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

Okay, I'll see if the wheels require truing, the rear wheel of the purchased wheel set has a tiny bend.
    But if the hub is still smooth, I won't have anybody touch it.

Thanks

Advertisement