Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring a sun room - advice?

Options
  • 06-05-2010 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Constructing a 4.1 x 3.3m approx sun room off a kitchen/dining room at the moment,, I want to put in 3 double sockets and 6-8 spot lights in the ceiling. My questions are

1. Instead of trying to tap into an existing lighting and socket circuit I'm considering going all the way back to the 'Consumer Unit' for both and wire them into an existing MCB/RCD, is this correct approach?

2. With regard to the sockets - is it just a matter of connecting them in series i.e. or does it have to be a ring circuit

3. What size cables should I use, for sockets I'm thinking that 2.5mm sq, the distance from CU to room will be approx 14m, for spot lights should I use 2.5mm also?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

by all means if you can get back to the consumer unit,do so!
    make sure there is enough room for another 2 mcbs in it first,one 10 amp mcb for lighting and one 20 amp mcb for sockets,which must be on the rcd side!

sockets can just be looped one after the other no need for a ring,in actual fact ring circuits are no longer allowed?might need some one to clarify that!

2.5mm t+e is fine for the sockets

1.5mm t+e is fine for the spotlights!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

make sure there is enough room for another 2 mcbs in it first,one 10 amp mcb for lighting and one 20 amp mcb for sockets,which must be on the rcd side!

sockets can just be looped one after the other no need for a ring,in actual fact ring circuits are no longer allowed?might need some one to clarify that!

Thanks for the above, most difficult task is routing from CB to room...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

could you put up coving to disguise the cables running from consumer unit to the sun room? or use swa in the floor may be another option depending on situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

they're being phased out anyhow for domestic

probs regarding continuity( or overcurrent protection) on the final circuit

will make it easier to protect the power cord and the final circuit together at the distrbution board if it ever happens

they'll still be used for distribution circuits in places and by dsos for the efficiency over radial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

M cebee wrote: »
    they're being phased out anyhow for domestic

probs regarding continuity( or overcurrent protection) on the final circuit

will make it easier to protect the power cord and the final circuit together at the distrbution board if it ever happens

they'll still be used for distribution circuits in places and by dsos for the efficiency over radial

Should of been gone years ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

would be sorry to see the ring go

still very handy for VD and loop-impedance on longer runs with a few sockets

circuits are often derated to 20amp ,or even 25 for 4sq rings- you're covered then if the ring breaks

Advertisement