Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

60 grain .22-250 ammo

Options
  • 06-05-2010 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can get 60 grain .22-250 ammo. 55 grain is no longer allowed for deer as it is under 1700 ft/lbs. I'm only shooting a couple of yearlings each season so don't need much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Anyone know where I can get 60 grain .22-250 ammo. 55 grain is no longer allowed for deer as it is under 1700 ft/lbs. I'm only shooting a couple of yearlings each season so don't need much.

5 grains will not matter . use what your happy with ,also a harder compound head will not work as well in the 2-50 .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Federal load a 60gr Partition as I recall, which should be a good round, but not sure where you'd find it. 55gr will make 1700ft/lb if it's driven hard enough. Can you chronograph it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Thanks JW, agree with you entirely, but NPWS now require a minimum of 60 grain, I wouldn't like to get caught with a carcass and the wrong ammo - you know the sort of crap that can lead too......

Thanks JW, agree with you entirely, but NPWS now require a minimum of 60 grain, I wouldn't like to get caught with a carcass and the wrong ammo - you know the sort of crap that can lead too......

That's odd. The Wildlife Act is pretty specific that 55gr is legal. Haven't filled out the form yet this year, must check that.

Federal load a 60gr Partition as I recall, which should be a good round, but not sure where you'd find it. 55gr will make 1700ft/lb if it's driven hard enough. Can you chronograph it?

Spoke to some one in NPWS and they can't even process a license application for 55 grain, the computer doesn't have that option. So even if you source 1700 ft'lb 55 grain bullets, you have to apply for a minimum of 60 on your license and are therefore in potential trouble if found using 55 grain:mad:

• Advertisement

That's odd. The Wildlife Act is pretty specific that 55gr is legal. Haven't filled out the form yet this year, must check that.

These are apparently brand new regulations, first I heard of it was when my license application was rejected because of the 55 grain weight. I don't know if the Wildlife Act has been amended or if NPWS are making up their own rules on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

http://www.hornady.com/store/22-250-Rem-60-gr-SP/

1726ft/lbs
    60 grain

Test Barrel (24") Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
    MUZZLE 100 200 300 400 500
    3600/1726 3195/1360 2826/1063 2485/823 2169/627 1877/470
    Trajectory (inches)
    MUZZLE 100 200 300 400 500
    -1.50 1.00 0.00 -5.30 -16.30 -34.80

you shoot a few a year for your own consumption , i dont think your the kinda lad they would be bothered with.

personally i would like to see the 2-50 fazed out for deer work but thats a another thread .

try ardee sports

Well, legally speaking, your licence doesn't just cover you to shoot with the rifle specifically named. Say I put down a .25-06 on my application with 100-120gr bullets, it doesn't preclude me using a .300 Win Mag with 180gr bullets, because it's still legal. By the same token, it wouldn't stop me using a .22-250 or a .220 Swift with 55gr bullets either, provided they make enough velocity to hit 1700 ft/lbs. It would still be legal. I think the problem is that a lot of .22-250 sporters aren't going to make the velocity needed, since the test velocities are usually in longer barrels, and therefore you could be left a little short. But if you can drive it hard enough, 55gr is perfectly legal from a .22-250. That said, NPWS do have the call on this and can specify higher calibres as I recall. Plenty of people have been refused outright on .22-250s and .220 Swifts, as NPWS decided they needed something bigger for what they wanted to do.

put down 60 grains in the hope of getting some by sep 1st

• Advertisement

Well, legally speaking, your licence doesn't just cover you to shoot with the rifle specifically named. Say I put down a .25-06 on my application with 100-120gr bullets, it doesn't preclude me using a .300 Win Mag with 180gr bullets, because it's still legal. By the same token, it wouldn't stop me using a .22-250 or a .220 Swift with 55gr bullets either, provided they make enough velocity to hit 1700 ft/lbs. It would still be legal. I think the problem is that a lot of .22-250 sporters aren't going to make the velocity needed, since the test velocities are usually in longer barrels, and therefore you could be left a little short. But if you can drive it hard enough, 55gr is perfectly legal from a .22-250. That said, NPWS do have the call on this and can specify higher calibres as I recall. Plenty of people have been refused outright on .22-250s and .220 Swifts, as NPWS decided they needed something bigger for what they wanted to do.

IWM
    You have to use Rifle prescribed, my deer hunting application still stated .22/250 55grain min, you have to put in your rifles serial number also so using a different rifle is giving false info which is a crime. Form hs to be signed and witnessed.

OP
    Ring James McBride he'll get you 60 Grain Hornady if you still want it!

IWM
    You have to use Rifle prescribed, my deer hunting application still stated .22/250 55grain min, you have to put in your rifles serial number also so using a different rifle is giving false info which is a crime. Form hs to be signed and witnessed.

OP
    Ring James McBride he'll get you 60 Grain Hornady if you still want it!

No. You don't. The form serves to prove you have a rifle capable of meeting the criteria within the wildlife act. After that, you have a licence to kill deer, not only to kill deer with that rifle.

No. You don't. The form serves to prove you have a rifle capable of meeting the criteria within the wildlife act. After that, you have a licence to kill deer, not only to kill deer with that rifle.

Well I won't argue that point as it is open to debate.
    It is clearly stated that making false information on the form is an offence.

saying that I currently use .308 and I have used several grain types on the form over the years with the same Rifle.
    They never questioned it.

When I used a 6.5x55se I used 126grain most times but I used 145grain a few times.
    However what ever I had down on the form in a particular year I stuck to.

After that, you have a licence to kill deer, not only to kill deer with that rifle
    I have to question this statement.
    I have a 12gauge shot gun but i can only shoot deer with my .308, even though I have a licence to hunt deer in season.
    If I was to loosely interpret the law there would be nothing stopping me using buck shot or similar to shoot deer.
    I know that this is NOT the case, even though a slug gun would drop deer out to 100 metres no issue.

You would find to your detriment in hot water if you were caught with a deer and not the rifle you had stated you would be using.
    If you want to use 2 rifles put them both down on the application form.

Then you are beyond reproach .

Well I won't argue that point as it is open to debate.
    It is clearly stated that making false information on the form is an offence.

No, it's not. It would be false information if you did not in fact have access to the rifle stipulated on the form. The fact that you have another rifle capable of being used is not relevant, and not putting it down does not constitute false information.

After that, you have a licence to kill deer, not only to kill deer with that rifle
    I have to question this statement.
    I have a 12gauge shot gun but i can only shoot deer with my .308, even though I have a licence to hunt deer in season.
    If I was to loosely interpret the law there would be nothing stopping me using buck shot or similar to shoot deer.
    I know that this is NOT the case, even though a slug gun would drop deer out to 100 metres no issue.

you do not have to question this statement. The only way you could think yourself legally allowed to use a shotgun on deer by virtue of having a deer licence would be to not have read the wildlife act, where it specifies that a shotgun cannot be used for deer, so you'd be illegal one way or another there. No loose interpretation about it.
    You would find to your detriment in hot water if you were caught with a deer and not the rifle you had stated you would be using.
    If you want to use 2 rifles put them both down on the application form.

Then you are beyond reproach .

No, you wouldn't, provided you had a licence to hunt deer and a suitable rifle. That's all that is necessary. This isn't the UK, where I'd have to condition my rifles for everything I wanted to use them on. If I have a .25-06, a .22-250, a .300 Win Mag and a .375 H&H Mag, and I put down the .25-06 on the form, I can still use each and every one of the above to kill deer, provided the .22-250 makes the required velocity. There's no requirement in law that you stick either to the rifle or to the weight of bullet you specify on the form, provided you remain within the bounds of the wildlife act with regard to minimum bullet weight, calibre and energy.

im sure if you were JFK with a 55-60 gr you wound not notice the difference

No, it's not. It would be false information if you did not in fact have access to the rifle stipulated on the form. The fact that you have another rifle capable of being used is not relevant, and not putting it down does not constitute false information.

you do not have to question this statement. The only way you could think yourself legally allowed to use a shotgun on deer by virtue of having a deer licence would be to not have read the wildlife act, where it specifies that a shotgun cannot be used for deer, so you'd be illegal one way or another there. No loose interpretation about it.

No, you wouldn't, provided you had a licence to hunt deer and a suitable rifle. That's all that is necessary. This isn't the UK, where I'd have to condition my rifles for everything I wanted to use them on. If I have a .25-06, a .22-250, a .300 Win Mag and a .375 H&H Mag, and I put down the .25-06 on the form, I can still use each and every one of the above to kill deer, provided the .22-250 makes the required velocity. There's no requirement in law that you stick either to the rifle or to the weight of bullet you specify on the form, provided you remain within the bounds of the wildlife act with regard to minimum bullet weight, calibre and energy.

A 12 gauge Slug although now restricted through a rifled choke/barrel is there fore a rifled round.
    Therefore the wildlife act would see it as an appropriate round far out weighing foot pounds of most rifles.
    I was using it to make a point.
    I do not mention the UK.
    If one put down a .375 H&H to shoot fallow deer they would be not using an appropriate calibre.

Most deer hunters here who hunt Fallow rarely go over .243
    Most common around me is 6.5x55se and .25/06.
    Reds require something slightly heavier but for years they were shot with what was available.

Anything >= a .22/250/.243 will kill Irish sized deer if bullet placement is correct. Ask some of the hunters on here and they will tell you that.

10 years ago the only Cal's available were .270 and 5.6x57 and .243 7 .22/250

In the past 10 years we only have seen .308 returning.

Doctor's differ. Friend of mine shoots all deer head shots. Has done so for 20+ years. His father the same before him.

The point I am making is you can put down as many rifles as one likes on the form. False information is saying you are going to shoot with a .22/250 60 grain and using a 40 grain.
    I would never sign my name to a form and have it witnessed unless all the facts were there but that is MY prerogative, others choices is just that..

Back to topic, OP if you rifle has a 24inch barrel these Hornady .60grain are in excess of your min requirements.
    Should retail somewhere between €30-40
    Accurate, Deadly, Dependable :D

Back to topic, OP if you rifle has a 24inch barrel these Hornady .60grain are in excess of your min requirements.
    Should retail somewhere between €30-40
    Accurate, Deadly, Dependable :D

Thanks, I'll ring around and see who stocks them.

A 12 gauge Slug although now restricted through a rifled choke/barrel is there fore a rifled round.
    Therefore the wildlife act would see it as an appropriate round far out weighing foot pounds of most rifles.

Yes, and because it has a rifled barrel, in this country, it's a rifle, not a shotgun, so would be legal, though slug ammo being restricted, it's not a situation we're likely to see.
    If one put down a .375 H&H to shoot fallow deer they would be not using an appropriate calibre.

Most deer hunters here who hunt Fallow rarely go over .243
    Most common around me is 6.5x55se and .25/06.
    Reds require something slightly heavier but for years they were shot with what was available.

That's not the point though. I could legally use the .375H&H if I wanted to, provided I have a deer hunting licence.
    Anything >= a .22/250/.243 will kill Irish sized deer if bullet placement is correct. Ask some of the hunters on here and they will tell you that.

10 years ago the only Cal's available were .270 and 5.6x57 and .243 7 .22/250

In the past 10 years we only have seen .308 returning.

I'm well aware, but you're veering away from the original point completely. I've made no argument with regard to bullet placement or the usefulness of a given calibre or bullet, only the law.

Yes, and because it has a rifled barrel, in this country, it's a rifle, not a shotgun, so would be legal, though slug ammo being restricted, it's not a situation we're likely to see.

That's not the point though. I could legally use the .375H&H if I wanted to, provided I have a deer hunting licence.

I'm well aware, but you're veering away from the original point completely. I've made no argument with regard to bullet placement or the usefulness of a given calibre or bullet, only the law.

My point is, I applied This year for my deer hunting licence. And it was the same form as last year Min Req. .22/250 55grain has been the same for the past 9 years I've been shooting deer in my own name and the previous I was a helper on other stalkers hunts.

http://www.biodiversity.ie/en/media/NPWS/Publications/Legaldocs/Deer%20Hunting%20Application%20Form.pdf

Min 22/250 Bullet greater 55grains and 1700ft/lbs
    That is the law.
    Anything else is irrelevant, except Hornady 55 Grain is below 1700 and 60 grain is above it.
    That is the destinction!
    So too is Federal 55 Grain Power shock!
    Or even Norma or winchester have a 55 grain 1700ft/Lb's.
    All are sub 1700 Foot pounds, so are you telling me the law is an ass as it contridicts itself?
    Why does it not state 60 Grain if its the only factory ammo available at that Energy??

Now there is the Question Sir!!

My point is, I applied This year for my deer hunting licence. And it was the same form as last year Min Req. .22/250 55grain has been the same for the past 9 years I've been shooting deer in my own name and the previous I was a helper on other stalkers hunts.

http://www.biodiversity.ie/en/media/NPWS/Publications/Legaldocs/Deer%20Hunting%20Application%20Form.pdf

Min 22/250 Bullet greater 55grains and 1700ft/lbs
    That is the law.
    Anything else is irrelevant, except Hornady 55 Grain is below 1700 and 60 grain is above it.
    That is the destinction!
    So too is Federal 55 Grain Power shock!
    Or even Norma or winchester have a 55 grain 1700ft/Lb's.
    All are sub 1700 Foot pounds, so are you telling me the law is an ass as it contridicts itself?
    Why does it not state 60 Grain if its the only factory ammo available at that Energy??

Now there is the Question Sir!!

Because the law isn't obliged to figure out the markets. It is possible to drive a 55gr bullet to 1700ft/lbs, but if it won't make it in your rifle (and not all barrels shoot at the same velocities, even in the same length, then it's not legal, so you find something that is. .243 Win is a safe minimum, no worries about whether it'll make the grade in most loads.

• Advertisement

Because the law isn't obliged to figure out the markets. It is possible to drive a 55gr bullet to 1700ft/lbs, but if it won't make it in your rifle (and not all barrels shoot at the same velocities, even in the same length, then it's not legal, so you find something that is. .243 Win is a safe minimum, no worries about whether it'll make the grade in most loads.

This was the first time this 1700 was mentioned, The law figured that out this year!

So my advice to OP is buy Federal, Hornady, or winchester 60 grain and he is over 1700 in a 24 inch barrel which is the standard upon which this amendment is based on hunting standards as they did not invent the figure.

My Rifle is +2200ft/lbs at the Muzzle so I have no issue. In fact @ 300 metres with my loads it's still ~1700ft/lbs
    So a perfect round as per the NPWS criteria.

Does not get the deer out of a quagmire dragged up a hill, over a fence down a ditch line, into the jeep, onto the hook to skin him and butcher.

The easiest part of Deer management is squeezing off a round.
    But that is off thread:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭TMC121

Just checked and Hornady 22-250 60g soft point available at Fingal Sports
    http://www.fingalsports.com

TMC121 wrote: »
    Just checked and Hornady 22-250 60g soft point available at Fingal Sports
    http://www.fingalsports.com

OP your problem is solved ;)

Happy hunting!

Advertisement