Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donore Summer 5km - 29th May 2010

• 06-05-2010 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi All,

New 5km road race to be added to calendar in 2010 - it's the Donore Harriers Summer 5km on 29th May 2010 in the Phoenix Park. Starts at 11am. It's a fast course with chip timing. Great prizes and goodie bags for first 500 entries.

Online entries close on 17th May 2010 - http://www.activeglobal.com/ie/running/dublin-ireland/donore-summer-5k-2010

More info can be found here www.donoreharriers.com

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 15 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    73%
    heffsarmyrovers_runnerredvedManonejohnnyfox24tunguskaW.B. YeatscphowlinMaroonTamWild Roverdrrunner 11 votes
    3 stars (average)
    26%
    niall2jmenoscemoCapricabeamgirl 4 votes
    2 star (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 irishabi

looks good, should be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

Donore races are usually very well organised and attended and it will be a fast course so I'm definately adding this to my summer race list.
    I guess there will be a fair few ladies who will use this as a useful last prep for the mini marathon the following week.
    LL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

A reminder and a bump. Online entries close on 17th May 2010

A reminder and a bump. Online entries close on 17th May 2010

Details of prizes and course map are on the attached link - the race within a race at 3k will make interesting viewing , I think !

http://www.donoreharriers.com/home_nav_33.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Lex Luther wrote: »
    Details of prizes and course map are on the attached link - the race within a race at 3k will make interesting viewing , I think !

http://www.donoreharriers.com/home_nav_33.html

nice way to get a fast race then, run a supr fast first 3k and then hang on to finish in the top 20...

• Advertisement

shels4ever wrote: »
    nice way to get a fast race then, run a supr fast first 3k and then hang on to finish in the top 20...

OR.............empty the tank too much at 3k , DONT hang on, lose the 100 bucks and have a crap 5k time ..........interesting..!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 LucanHarriers

Looking forward to this one. The Donore organised Jingle Bells race is a terrific one so am sure this new event by Donore will be no different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

Looking forward to this one. The Donore organised Jingle Bells race is a terrific one so am sure this new event by Donore will be no different.

DISAGREE with your assessement that the Jingle bells 5k is well run.
    Did it in 2008 and got no official time from them. The results only went up to something like 18mins. I ran 19:22 approx but never did they update the results. Really was cheesed off with Donore. If that was an amateur starting out I could understand it but not a running club. Never would do anything they organized. Sorry but you must give runners an official time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I did the Jingle Bells last year, and I got an official time.

To be honest, I wouldn't have a lot of faith in that time. It wasn't chipped, and the race was very busy. Between the time taken to cross the start line, and delays in the chute at the end, it's probably at least a minute off. But it was provided.

But then again, the race was cheap, fun, and accurately measured. I'll probably be doing it again this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

3 stars (average)
    I didn't even show up in the results of the Jingle bells 5k and everyone else I know had their time wrong by up to several minutes.

That said, I am very tempted by this as it looks superfast and may give me my best chance at bagging a sub 20 5k before marathon training begins.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I'll have a go at this too. I noticed that the on line entry seems to be still open until 26th May, so not too late to enter it.

Would we have access to showers afterwards? or will the football grounds changing rooms be open at that time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 skippy2010

Hi,

Yes there are showers at Donore club house which you're very welcome to use after the race.

Also wanted to respond to comments posted about issues people encountered with results at the Jingle Bells race last year. We do realise there were some problems with the results last year which we don't want to happen again. This year we're doing a number of things differently one of which is that we'll have chip timing to make sure that all participants have accurate times. The course is also accurately measured with a Jones counter. And we've also managed to keep the race at a good value price of 15 euro - with a great goodie bag for the 1st 500 people who enter. Hope you'll give the run a shot.

Thanks for comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

uhm - this could do with a bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

4 stars (good)
    uhm - this could do with a bump

I was gonna bump this myself considering its on Saturday. Wonder what quality of field we'll have?

Looks like rain for saturday aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

3 stars (average)
    Nice race, Pity abou the weather, we seemed to be into a headwind and rain all the way :p. The course was bang on 5k and the markers were perfect. The only gripe was the lack of starting mats. What's the point of having a chip timed race with only mats at the finish?
    Otherwise the organisation was spot on. Got in just over 20 minutes.

4 stars (good)
    Grand race, terrible weather. Feckin' headwind was a bitch. That hill coming up the military road always puts the hurt on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ceekay

I enjoyed todays race, as I liked the cooler conditions! The results are online already.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Caprica

3 stars (average)
    Enjoyable race but the weather wasn't the best. Found the stretch on the main road tough running in to the head wind and as always the hill on military road was a killer.

Equalled my PB, I was hoping for a bit faster but the conditions didn't allow it. Well run race on the whole, nice goody bag, fast with the results, nice course, well marshalled, celebrity starter, definite PB potential on a good day. Think it deserves a four out of five.

4 stars (good)
    Fair play to Donore, very quick with the results.

http://www.donoreharriers.com/images/_client_specific/Donore_5k_Results.xls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

Don't see the 3K winner on the results. Anyone know what the time was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

3 stars (average)
    enjoyable race - nice route except for that blasted hill but the mile before kinda makes up for it. But as mentioned earlier the lack of a timing mat at the start is annoying - it cost me a new PB, well that and an open shoe lace...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 johnnyfox24

4 stars (good)
    Well done Donore - excellent race and very well organised, top marks from me: decent value, goody bag, accurate course, started on time, well marshalled & split times called out at each km, bottles of volvic water and bananas at finish & tea and cakes afterwards! textbook.

Plenty of room at starting area and they said afterwards that they will probably use the same starting area for the Jingle bells 5k in December...it will probably be better weather then too!

The winner was first through the 3km mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

4 stars (good)
    Gave it 5 stars despite no timing mats at the start, wasn't an issue with a field of only 300 or so, still got across the line myself in less than ten seconds so no major problems there.
    Small pb for me too despite the weather and now into the 23's so lots of work needed now to get into the 22's.

Time spilits and km splits were A1 as was the finish area.
    Big improvement on the last couple of years, well done to club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

4 stars (good)
    Goin mad could'nt do the race, took some photos instead.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69949935@N00/sets/72157624160598374/

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Goin mad could'nt do the race, took some photos instead.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69949935@N00/sets/72157624160598374/

Nice one...for the pics I mean. Whats the story Heff, did you pick up an injury or hungover?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

4 stars (good)
    Whats the story Heff, did you pick up an injury or hungover?

Neither, got called into work at 1am did'nt get home till 5am, was wrecked. Are you gettin back into the swing off things yourself?

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Neither, got called into work at 1am did'nt get home till 5am, was wrecked. Are you gettin back into the swing off things yourself?

Ah not really no. Hamstring is at me for the last few weeks. Can run easy so can't complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Had a great run at this today despite the weather... Definite PB course - I knocked 2 mins off my PB after 2 years of trying, finally hooked it together in a 5k :) Great organisation, got off on time, accurate course, well marked out and marshalled, bananas and volvic at finish, lots of positives. Well done Donore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 runon

What a buzz! Ran my first race ever today, the Donore Summer 5K. Thought the organisation was brilliant, loved the course and what great value, goodie bag- Brilliant. Very Friendly people and great to get a nice cup of tea and brack etc back at the club house. Great to see Eamonn Coughlan as the race starter. Well done Donore, Roll on the Jingle Bell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Always good to support club races. They are generally well organised, know their stuff and don't take the Michael when it comes to costs. Lucan Harriers AC 5K on June 13th is another one to look out for. Raging I can't run it this year. Well done Donore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 banterit

Have to give this one a 5. They ran us down the Kaiber Road! Every other race runs up the beast for some reason. Forget the weather, its ireland.
    One for next year me thinks. Got to support the club races..

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭drrunner

4 stars (good)
    Well organised, friendly race. Pity weather wasn't great. Felt headwind for first 2k and would have been more aggressive on the uphill if I'd realised the full extent of the lovely run in to the finish. Well done Donore!!! Would definitely do this one again.:) Would totally recommend it to runners of all ability. Great race commentary as well.

A few of my own photos from the last 100m of the race....

4650333971_6da60822f1.jpg

4650332027_5e33c72ab9.jpg

4650954750_af5574aae4.jpg

4650950752_0a5521fa86.jpg

The rest of the photos are here on racepix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭MaroonTam

4 stars (good)
    I gave this five stars.

I was just one second outside my PB (my watch time not chip...) so I think there would be good potential to get a good time of the weather had been better.

The weather kind of killed the atmosphere at the start, everyone was hiding out under trees for as long as possible, also meant I did not hang around at the finish... It was the Irish summer after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 skippy2010

We'd actually arranged for both start and finish mats, but were informed by the chip timing company on the Thursday evening before the race that there were problems and they wouldn't be able to supply us with enough mats to cover the start - hence the reason for no start mats.

Thanks for comments and for supporting the event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

4 stars (good)
    Very well organised race, PB for me!
    I was quicker than my chip time because I started at the back.

KM signs were large and easy to see, also there was a steward at each giving out times as you went past, excellent

Weather was crap but c'est la vie

Photo by Heff with me taking a photo in it and the photo I was taking at the time...

4649794281_34f196c2fb.jpg

IMG_2671-300x200.jpg

Advertisement