Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lecture Notes

Options
  • 06-05-2010 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Hey sorry if this isn't the correct forum, but my question is; Is it common place for lectures not to right their own lectures and get them off the internet?

I wouldn't think to be fair but i could be wrong, any answers would help greatly

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I think a lot of books now also come with sets of powerpoint slides for lecturers to use

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭leedsfan88

I think a lot of books now also come with sets of powerpoint slides for lecturers to use

There from the MBA Institute, but his explanations of some points are infact incorrect according to the books i've looked at because the notes are just pionts with very little explanation and there is no references for the lectures so students don't know where the information was got from therefore its a long job trying to find a good book to back up the points.

He is truely an awful lecturer and lazy as sin

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭markmcg

I was told in college that lecturers are given powerpoint slides for the books they use by the publishers. So this way the lecturers encourage their students to buy the book.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Moved thread from Graduate forum.
    Hey OP,
    I dont think that's acceptable unless they're using them as a general basis and going into a lot more detail. I know that I've seen lecturers being pulled up on similar stuff before.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

some lecturers might use the same ones for a few years but I assume most type there own slide shows. students take notes.
    fair few of ours might have occasional spelling mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

leedsfan88 wrote: »
    Hey sorry if this isn't the correct forum, but my question is; Is it common place for lectures not to right their own lectures and get them off the internet?

I wouldn't think to be fair but i could be wrong, any answers would help greatly

As others have pointed out, academic books usually come with Powerpoint slides. Also, the likes of MIT put a lot of their coursework on the internet, available for everyone to use.

However, it would be a very lazy lecturer that didn't combine the above with their own slant on the subject matter for class slides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Meh, I used neither lecture notes or the book for my economics modules last semester. Simply googled the module codes and got excellent notes from some university in Jamaica covering all the stuff we were expected to know. Did fine in the exams considering it was only first year. Meant I could really enjoy that semester too;)

But mostly lecture notes should suffice and the older editions of the books you need are usually in the library. Only buy the book if the lecturer makes it clear that it is absolutely essential in order to complete the module and if you are going to make good use of it i.e. study the **** out of it.

Advertisement