Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you miss about Dublin the most

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Hang on, are people here posting stuff about Dublin that they miss because it's gone or changed or stuff that they miss because they're outside the county/country?

You can still get macaroon bars.

It's itneresting though how many of the things people have listed coincide with the great "boom" we supposedly had. Particularly the bit about community. I don't think I know more than there neighbours these days. Growing up on a cul-de-sac of course things were much different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭minister poxbottle

Do you rember the 4 corners of hell, where sean mc dermot st crossed gardiner st there was a pub on each corner. one was the honey pot i cant recall the names of the other 3 . if anyone knows please let me know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Probably mentioned, but "real" neighbours. Remember being able to chat away with every neighbour on my road, but every passing year it declines and you try but well the new ones don't want anything to do with a neighbourhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

Probably mentioned, but "real" neighbours. Remember being able to chat away with every neighbour on my road, but every passing year it declines and you try but well the new ones don't want anything to do with a neighbourhood.

This is actually depressing. Genuinely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

The Coffee Inn (chips covered with bolognaise sauce!)

Freebird Records when it was on Grafton Street

The Alchemists Head bookstore

The old Marx Brothers cafe

Dublin in general..

I haven't been back to Dublin in 10 years so there is probably a whole lot of stuff that is no longer there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

For me there was nothing more Dublin than Moore Street, I honestly & genuinely mourn its loss to Dublin.

My children used to love the accents up Moore St & Henry St.... lighters, bangers, plasters, socks, tobacco, strawberrys (still some traders on the corner of Mary St & Caple St). I'd take the kids into town and they'd come home practicing the accents!.

I miss the local news agents where the lady behind the counter knew everyone (and their business!), often the same people served two or three generations of neighbourhood kids.

Robbing orchards, mates 'keeping scetch' & 'The Gotchy'.

Pinkeens & Sticklebacks, bee's in jam jar's and catching butterfly's.

My mate 'Reeler' (David Reynolds RIP).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

The Pierrot snooker club on Bachelors Walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Employment opportunities

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭MrMojoRising

bigbadbear wrote: »
    This is actually depressing. Genuinely

i live in an apartment block. we don't even look at each other.

i actually miss old dublin

someone mentioned the adelphi a few posts back - i remember seeing the jungle book in fairview. The place was a firetrap, but hey, it has some good memories.

BBQs on the street - another thing thats been forgotten thanks to the celtic tiger. In a lot of ways, this country was better off 20 years ago than it is now.

wow - nostalgia bites :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Head shops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

The American Connection on Talbot Street especially the Chilli Burger
    Roches Stores
    Woolworths
    Life before traffic meters when you could just park anywhere

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Scutting. You never see people scutting on the back of bread vans or coal lorries around Dublin anymore.

+1 for Pierot Club.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Clean streets and no junkies..........God be with the days!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

humberklog wrote: »
    Scutting. You never see people scutting on the back of bread vans or coal lorries around Dublin anymore.

You never seen me doing it after the last time in '86 either.

I was no Marty McFly and ended up in The Mater.
    humberklog wrote: »
    +1 for Pierot Club.

We used to travel in from Swords to go there at around 2am.

It was the only place open 24 hours for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

dSTAR wrote: »
    The Coffee Inn (chips covered with bolognaise sauce!)

Haven't thought about The Coffee Inn for years. :(
    My children used to love the accents up Moore St & Henry St.

Me too.

"Late Herald or Press" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

The "young professionals" that come from upper middle class backgrounds but move in to areas where there's real regular people that have known that community spirit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Anyone here remember the Maro cinema in Mary Street, and that pungent smell of childrens' wee? The plumbing was a disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Its another vote for the shopkeeper who alwasys says thank you and have a bit of a natter.

Its really starting to get on my nervers the fact that somone gives me my change and doesnt say thank you, after all i always say thank you to them.

Dont mean to typecast but its the forigners who are guilty of it the most, thats not to say that every Irish person i meet is a bundle of manners either.

Manners cost nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

I Was VB wrote: »
    Dont mean to typecast but its the forigners who are guilty of it the most, thats not to say that every Irish person i meet is a bundle of manners either.

Thats a bit of a sweeping generalisation.
    If that is the case, perhaps it's something to do with differences in culture. Perhaps abroad it's not expected for the shopkeeper to say thank you.

I know what you mean though, it really annoys me when they won't return the courtesy of a 'thank you'. I think its more to do with people being sick of their jobs than nationality.

I miss Doran's. '3 Crown alley' doesn't have the same charm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Hang on, are people here posting stuff about Dublin that they miss because it's gone or changed or stuff that they miss because they're outside the county/country?

For me, it's stuff that's gone from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Jumbo156 wrote: »
    The Old Baggot Inn, ( full circle on Saturday nights)

Ah that's gas, if we're talking about the same band. My dad has played with them and often does sound for them. They're all insane, and still gigging all these years later! I can PM if they're playing around soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Jumbo156

Twee. wrote: »
    Ah that's gas, if we're talking about the same band. My dad has played with them and often does sound for them. They're all insane, and still gigging all these years later! I can PM if they're playing around soon.

I hope it's the same one, John Kehoe on piano and a bloke with a big grey beard on drums.
    And the guitar player that used to get all the crowd running from side to side with the "yakity yak....f*** off" song" is all i can remember it as!
    Post up when they are playing again, they were great craic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Jumbo156 wrote: »
    I hope it's the same one, John Kehoe on piano and a bloke with a big grey beard on drums.
    And the guitar player that used to get all the crowd running from side to side with the "yakity yak....f*** off" song" is all i can remember it as!
    Post up when they are playing again, they were great craic.

Yep that's them. Will ask my dad when I see him!

Fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

rednik wrote: »
    The Pierrot snooker club on Bachelors Walk.

Legend! Finished the "80s hi tec" Outrun video game in there to cheers from a load of girls. Felt like a superstar.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Anyone here remember the Maro cinema in Mary Street, and that pungent smell of childrens' wee? The plumbing was a disaster!

Gone before I was old enough to go to the Cinema, but heard a lot about it from my Dad.

Another Cinema I miss - The Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Punks tapping for change in the doorway of Freebird Records when it was in Grafton St.

Temple Bar before it was developed. A maze of interesting streets and very interesting characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 NostalgicDublin

Where do i start ,
    The green cinema
    the apartments ,
    Hectors (discount sounds)on wexford st ( anyone remember it )
    the shops getting in the toys for xmas like arrnotts and roches
    Paddy barretts
    Clongowes youth club ,
    the old part of whitefriar st school before it burnt down
    and the biggest is
    SWITZERS AND SWITZERS CHRISTMAS WINDOW !

god i miss the dublin of my youth , does anyone know where i can find pics of dublin from the 70's and 80's god what id give to see any pic of switzers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Temple Bar before it was developed improved. A maze of interesting streets litter and very interesting characters drunk old men smelling of wee and small children.

FYP.

I used to run a record stall in Temple Bar market during the 80's and the place then, although slightly characteristic, was a cess-pit.

Yours is a case of rose-tinted glasses much, I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

The "young professionals" that come from upper middle class backgrounds but move in to areas where there's real regular people that have known that community spirit...

What's "real", "regular" people? Ever go through Summerhill? No Yuppies there. They live in their own filth. Right outside their doorsteps, tonnes of rubbish, that they don't bother cleaning up. Yeah real classy, real Dubs. I hate all this "real" Dubs sh*t, when they just mean inner city unemployed knackers that are a leech on society. Maybe if you say hello to these yuppies they might say hello back.

Advertisement