Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you miss about Dublin the most

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    What's "real", "regular" people? Ever go through Summerhill? No Yuppies there. They live in their own filth. Right outside their doorsteps, tonnes of rubbish, that they don't bother cleaning up. Yeah real classy, real Dubs. I hate all this "real" Dubs sh*t, when they just mean inner city unemployed knackers that are a leech on society. Maybe if you say hello to these yuppies they might say hello back.
    That's a marvellous way to speak of your fellow man. Some fine language used there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

The "young professionals" that come from upper middle class backgrounds but move in to areas where there's real regular people that have known that community spirit...

bull**** your attitude itself is pretty elitist, i don't see how anyone moving into an 'area with regular people' to a new apartment or whatever is something to be missed, if anything young people moving into an impoverished area revitalise it,

Oh how we are all bourgeois now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Mick Daly

Scum cycling down Henry Street on bicycles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Only Dubs understand the nostalgia that Dubs have for Dublin. If anyone wants to see old photos of their own area check out the National Archives online and just type in the street or town, etc.

http://digital.nli.ie/cdm4/search.php?CISOROOT=/glassplates

There is also a photographic archive in Temple Bar I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Charlies in Howth

• Registered Users Posts: 36 adam500

The days when you could walk down the keys without seeing guys strung out of there head, when people looked after each other ,people talked to there neighbor , the sense of traditional Dublin life. I miss when we had a society in Dublin were people got on with each other instead of today were young guys are getting all drugged up and shooting each other. What i miss about Dublin is Dublin. The Dublin we live in today is a fake commercialized profit filled scam.

The real day's of the craic in Dublin are long gone and i miss it , people must realize that its all a mess now a days.

adam500 wrote: »
    I miss when we had a society in Dublin ....

A lot of it comes down to that to be honest. For me anyway. The great wave of neo-liberal free market capitalism seemed to do away with society. We stopped being citizens and were instead now consumers.

There is no such thing as society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

The place behind the ILAC on Parnell St. where you could get a pair of Docs for less than £20!

"Rappin papah, fiyiv fo' fifty" "Li'as, fiyiv fo' fifty" "Ordnges, fiyiv fo' fifty"

The dear old woman that used to sell newspapers on O'Connell St. Her stall was just to the left of the Daniel O'Connell statue, walking north. "Herdld o' Press!"

Your man, the absolute legend that he was, that used to run up and down Mary St. and open a bag of ****e, proclaiming that "I don't ask where you got your money from..." making out that he had a load of real gold jewellery to offload.

And... for any Lucaners/Lucaninans... the water spouts in the village. There was one between the BNS and the to the entrance to "Sarser" (Sarsfield Park) and one near to the old butcher's in front of the village park. Actually, does anyone know what happened with them??? Edit: actually one of them is still there! It used to be green but has now been painted black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

The little cafe at the back in the perriot snooker club on batchlors walk.:):):)

• Advertisement

my granny

5 donut for a pound from KC

temple of sound

the riverbank..aka "the hot pot" on burgh quay and their ponderosa burgers.

chatting up women at Taxi queues :D
    Yea i rember the hot pot on burgh quey a those pondorosa burgers Dublin in the rare ol times is well an truley gone me thinks. fair de well sweet anna liffey i can no longer stay for Dublin keeps on changein and nothing stays the same the piller and the met have gone the Royal long since pulled down sure iam a part of what was Dublin in the rare ol times.:D:D

cosmic wrote: »
    Switzers window at Christmas :(
    awww the memories of it i used to stand for ages Christmas was real in those days cant seem to find that same christmas atmosphere anymore.:(

The Dandilion market.
    buying pooches of tobacco after collecting your dole they used to sell it outside then and then going off to do a few nixers:D:D

The ol buses the way you could jump on at the back as the bus was pulling away or jump on at the traffic lights and giving the conductor the go ahead.:D:D

All the buses parked in temple bar the terminues was there then.

adam500 wrote: »
    The days when you could walk down the keys without seeing guys strung out of there head, when people looked after each other ,people talked to there neighbor , the sense of traditional Dublin life. I miss when we had a society in Dublin were people got on with each other instead of today were young guys are getting all drugged up and shooting each other. What i miss about Dublin is Dublin. The Dublin we live in today is a fake commercialized profit filled scam.

The real day's of the craic in Dublin are long gone and i miss it , people must realize that its all a mess now a days.
    Well said i totally aggree with you.:(

old concrete horse troughs for horses to drink from you used to see them around different parts of Dublin used to be one right beside where i live.:)

old concrete horse troughs for horses to drink from you used to see them around different parts of Dublin used to be one right beside where i live.:)

I remember there was one in Smithfield, is that gone now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

The place behind the ILAC on Parnell St. where you could get a pair of Docs for less than £20!

Yes yes yes! Every year at some point in August, we'd be brought in there to get set up for the school year. And there was a bag shop/stall right beside it too where you'd get your schoolbags. Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Jumbo156

What I miss about Dublin the most......Me Ma. lord rest her!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    What's "real", "regular" people? Ever go through Summerhill? No Yuppies there. They live in their own filth. Right outside their doorsteps, tonnes of rubbish, that they don't bother cleaning up. Yeah real classy, real Dubs. I hate all this "real" Dubs sh*t, when they just mean inner city unemployed knackers that are a leech on society. Maybe if you say hello to these yuppies they might say hello back.

You know real people; the salt of the earth type, great people. I just wouldn't live with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

An auld one sold them off a stall? II picked up loads there.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭lionela

Hi ,
    The St. Peter's Rd Dancer (utube) is back in Dublin.

He returned home to Lithuania some couple of months ago..but I met him on St. Peter's Rd this morning..and according to him he is only here for a holiday.

Perhaps he will do his thing in the City whilst here.

He lived 2 doors away from me on St. Peter's Rd (Walkinstown)

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

Gigs in the SFX, that was a seriously great venue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭albeit

Less traffic

cycling (because i used to cycle alot-worked as one of the few female couriers ten years ago but only lasted a couple of weeks and made about 20 quid a week due to my lack of achieved deliveries, haha- I almost starved to death, was eating porridge evry morning to give me energy, with loads of brown sugar in it hahahaha, ah the memories)

Me being there

walking along canal on the left hand side from portobello bridge to baggot street in some sort of peace without the traffic on the other side being ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Although not that long gone - Upstairs in the Virgin megastore on the quays, first time i went in i was amazed a music shop had elevators!

bad bobs
    bootleggers
    Nice beer/and cheap
    When we weren't doing so well and we knew it but didn't moan as much as we do now recession recession recession
    The corner shop - fcuk Spar!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

i live in an apartment block. we don't even look at each other.

Well that explains the lack of community. Someone has to start!

I chat to my neighbours when I meet them. I didn't start off chatting with them - we started with nods, lovely days/desperate weather, and moved on to short conversations. I don't want to live in their pockets, but we trust each other enough to leave spare keys in, give them the alarm code in case it goes off while we're on holidays, and the phone numbers of our nearest to sort stuff out if there's a disaster.

empirix wrote: »
    Although not that long gone - Upstairs in the Virgin megastore on the quays, first time i went in i was amazed a music shop had elevators!

That closed in May-ish 2002 as far as I remember. I think that kinda qualifies as a long time now unfortunately :(
    I miss it too.

I chat to my neighbours when I meet them. I didn't start off chatting with them - we started with nods, lovely days/desperate weather, and moved on to short conversations. I don't want to live in their pockets, but we trust each other enough to leave spare keys in, give them the alarm code in case it goes off while we're on holidays, and the phone numbers of our nearest to sort stuff out if there's a disaster.

Ah yeah I know, I don't think anyone really wants that :p No one likes the constant snooping and random calls for tea, dinner, parties etc. etc.

Borrowing sugar.
    Would you ask your neighbour for a loan of some sugar or ketchup or something? Ye know, just asking for a favour. That'd be the kinda stuff I miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this - but the Howth tram was great when I was a kid. Open on top.

• Advertisement

This communication is sooooooo important! Especially as many people don't live near their relatives anymore so it's necessary to have to rely on neighbours.

Advertisement