Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you miss about Dublin the most

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭meolwan

Playing football on the street 10 goals to half time 20 goals the winner could be up to 15 a side. Stopping when a car came up or down the street and grabbing the ball when someone said heres the law comming. God thoses were the days we would be playing football most of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Do you rember the 4 corners of hell, where sean mc dermot st crossed gardiner st there was a pub on each corner. one was the honey pot i cant recall the names of the other 3 . if anyone knows please let me know ;)

There was only a pub on three of the corners. The Rose Bowl (corner of Mid Gardiner St/Summerhill), the Green Kilt (corner of lower Gardiner St/Summerhill) Killanes (facing the Green Kilt).

And that was it. In the 50s there was a milk bar on the fourth corner (corner of Parnell St/Md Gardiner St and Michael's the barber was next door).

The fourth pub was An Cruischeen Lán (sp?) which was a couple of doors down Parnell St near Kennedy's Bakery.

Note about Michael the Barber in Mid Gardiner St, (facing Michael's The deLuxe). You only got your hair cut there for special occasions like communion or confirmation because although he was a good barber he charged 3d more than Dick Mahoney the barber a few yards away on Summerhill.

A few sweets: Honey Bee, Sailors Chew, Cleeves (Clevo), Flash Bar, Lucky Lump, Peggy's Legs, sticky apples, fizz bags that could be used to make a fizz drink. Black Jacks, threepenny bar of Cadbury's chocolate (a very thin bar). Urney's chocolate....

Ah but I'm an oul fella here. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

penana wrote: »
    Hi, Bill2673!

Thank you, so much, for your kind words about my post; how thoughtful of you!
    Yes, I do miss Dublin dreadfully and am living way, way too far away. It's a long story and one which I'm reluctant to post for fear of sounding melodramatic and like someone seeking a "pity party."

Anyway, it is essentially this: my husband and I were both made redundant in the mid-1970s, so we planned to spend about a year earning a bit of money in America, where we had relations. Our two pre-school sons and I travelled ahead, with my husband to follow. However, he was killed in a car crash on the Naas Road and, lacking insurance, the boys and I were stranded in the US, living from pay period to pay period and unable to amass any real savings.

In recent years, thanks to generous family members, there have been visits home and so, I am up-to-date on the vast changes with have taken place.

Yet, despite the length of time involved, I do remain painfully [absurdly?] homesick. If know that if it is God's will for me to live again in - or near to - Dublin, it will happen. But, I also know that sometimes His answer is "no" when our wishes, despite what we may feel, are not what He knows is best.

So, how's that for a "Poor Little Me" rant? :/ Perhaps a sound kick where it will do the most good is in order! :)

People don't talk nearly enough about their loved ones who have passed away. One doesn't need to be in your shoes to know that this still hurts a lot thirty years on; its good to talk, its good to share.

As regards coming home to live here, well its a big move and something you have to decide on yourself, and with your children and your wider family. I wouldn't like to give you advice on it beyond saying that I like Dublin, I think its a good city, I like living here.

In the meantime, I hope life is going well for you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

The train out of dublin.... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Take Five on Lincoln place, but greasy spoons in general.
    Used to be that you could walk into a place and get a Full Irish Breakfast at 4pm no bother, now its all paninis and bagels.

And there was a fast food place called New York New York outside the ILAC at Mary St/Henry St where H&M is now that I always used to stop off at with my dad before we'd get the bus home.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Exploring the fields where Clare Hall is now,the ruins of the Old Mansion (which of course was haunted)

Fishing the canal and catching maybe 20 fish in a couple of hours..howth pier likewise,we'd catch bucketloads of mackerell during the summer and never went home empty handed.

Watching the newspapers being flung out the conveyer belt at the Irish Times HQ

The smell of coffee from Bewleys(they had a big bean grinder in the window)

The smell of old stout and cigarettes from any pub you walked by

The smell of the sea from my granny's house in clontarf..the sound of curlews in the evening and watching the lights stretch from howth to wicklow at nightime.

Buying marbles and other inexpensive toys in Hector Greys each saturday.

Collecting my copy of 2000ad each wednesday from the newsagent who reserved it under my name,making me feel important.

Communion and other special occasion dinner in the Pancake HQ..half chicken and chips..i can still taste it.

Sweets like Cola Bottles,Cola Cubes,Chewits,Spangles,Flogs,Fizzle Sticks etc..i've tried each one of these nearly 40 years later and they just dont taste the same...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Right everyone, here's a quare one for yiz! Does anyone remember sixty-fourers? I've yet to meet anyone who knows what I'm talking about. My brother used to swap them in the Banba in Capel Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

Yes, Spurious, downstairs in Roches stores was always worth a visit.

Also, I didn't do it much but climbing to the top of Nelson's Pillar and looking over the city was interesting. It was about 6d or 4d entrance fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Getting followed around town every day by Special Branch for some Kafkaesque reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

The number 10 bus. It was the bus I got on my first day of college!

• Advertisement

7/11

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

IMP buses, they were weird things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Robbing orchards, mates 'keeping scetch' & 'The Gotchy'.

I robbed orchards too but what do the second two mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

mikemac wrote: »

'Keeping scetch' where your mates used to look out for people coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭IrishB.ie

Robbing orchards, mates 'keeping scetch' & 'The Gotchy'.
    mikemac wrote: »

Keeping 'scetch' just means keeping an eye out (usually when you're up to no good). If anyone was coming you just shout 'scetch' and everyone would run.

'The Gotchy' (haven't heard that in a long time). For us it was usually the night watchman on the building sites. Rumour had it if you were caught by him, he'd grab you and shout 'gotchy' (gotcha, got you). I think it was more to do with the accent.

Dunkin donuts.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Good thread this. Does anyone remember if the Star Roller Rink in Crumlin used to have a giant Rollerboot car that drove around to advertise it? I’m from Crumlin and I’m sure I can remember that but I can’t find it on the internet at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭AnalogueKid

Pubs & Clubs:
    The Old Chinaman
    - any place with punk gigs in the jacks gets my vote.
    The Blue Note - They only sold wine and bulmers or something, but they also sold skins! Back in the acid-jazz days.
    The USI Club - dirt cheap pints and free food :)

Cinema:

The Cameo opposite the Adelphi. They had double features to try to get some business from their bigger neighbours. I remember seeing The Gods Must be Crazy and Time Bandits in a double feature - films made in the early 80s were on average significantly better than the guff in the multiplexes today.

Shops:
    Shoe shops behind the Ilac Centre on Parnell St - Docs nirvana!
    Freakout records on South William St. Dublin's best ever record store - they could order anything in (vinyl of course).
    FM on Westmoreland St - THE place for spotty Dublin rockers to get their Iron Maiden, Thin Lizzy and Rush patches, posters and t-shirts.

Miscellaneous:
    I'm really surprised nobody mentioned The Moving Crib yet? Ok, it was crap, but in the late 70's kids actually looked forward to that. Where was it Parnell Sq or something? Really odd little place
    And of course - Rainbow Rapids in Dun Laoighaire. Two slides in the old Victorian Bathhouse of DL. Here's what Rainbow Rapids looks like today
    dl4105.jpgCheck out the Abandoned Ireland website for some other brilliant photos

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Pubs & Clubs:
    The Old Chinaman
    - any place with punk gigs in the jacks gets my vote.
    The Blue Note - They only sold wine and bulmers or something, but they also sold skins! Back in the acid-jazz days.
    The USI Club - dirt cheap pints and free food :)

Cinema:

The Cameo opposite the Adelphi. They had double features to try to get some business from their bigger neighbours. I remember seeing The Gods Must be Crazy and Time Bandits in a double feature - films made in the early 80s were on average significantly better than the guff in the multiplexes today.

Shops:
    Shoe shops behind the Ilac Centre on Parnell St - Docs nirvana!
    Freakout records on South William St. Dublin's best ever record store - they could order anything in (vinyl of course).
    FM on Westmoreland St - THE place for spotty Dublin rockers to get their Iron Maiden, Thin Lizzy and Rush patches, posters and t-shirts.

Miscellaneous:
    I'm really surprised nobody mentioned The Moving Crib yet? Ok, it was crap, but in the late 70's kids actually looked forward to that. Where was it Parnell Sq or something? Really odd little place
    And of course - Rainbow Rapids in Dun Laoighaire. Two slides in the old Victorian Bathhouse of DL. Here's what Rainbow Rapids looks like today
    dl4105.jpgCheck out the Abandoned Ireland website for some other brilliant photos

The moving crib was in parnell square alright and the place is still there I think but I'm not sure they still do it. Our da used to take us in every year because it was right beside our bus stop. Culchies seemed to love it when they were up too

Remember FM too, many a patch and badge I bought in there. Knew one of the lads who worked there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Sloopys!

• Advertisement

Borderline records!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The Abbey Mall.

Discfinders (I think that's right) in Merrion Row. In the 70's I was searching for some instrumental music I heard on a TV programme, didn't know the name, the orchestra, arranger, in fact I only knew the programme which was a religious programme - the guy behind the counter said he thought he knew what I was talking about and a week later he produced the exact LP I was looking for. I still have it, and I still love it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Freak Out Records - South William Street
    Grennells Cobblers - Parnell Street
    C. Harding's - Bachelors Walk
    Hi-fi Hospital - Capel Street
    Lafayette Hi-fi - Halfpenny Bridge
    Hino 336's
    Alice's Restaurant
    Jazz FM

But mostly Jimmy Faulkner RIP:(

Genealogy Forum Mod

Just a few eating places i remember

Old Kentucky(where mcdonalds O'Connell st is now)

The Hot Plate liffey st..did huge breakfasts for £1.50

Marx Bros Georges St

The Abbey Mall(also know as the Scabby mall :))

The Golden Avatar which was the Hare Krishna Restaurant in Crow St

Well Fed cafe also in Crow St...it was a hippy co-operative of sorts.

Hot Stuff in Chatham St they did a kebab and chips for a quid.

The Good Food Cafe in marlborough st

Wonderburger..they were all over town at one stage

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nolanger wrote: »
    Borderline records!

They used to be in the abbey mall many years ago under a different name, never cared much for them

Bambi wrote: »
    They used to be in the abbey mall many years ago under a different name, never cared much for them

I was never a fan of the bloke who owned it but then people in record shops were usually stuck-up assclowns anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭bb1234567

i miss cafe bar deli

Wimpy Bar in Dorset St. Today folk say let's go for a MacDonald's - in those days we would go for a Wimpy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Burgerland on O'Connell St. The original of the species !! or Kingburger in the Ilac centre !

Advertisement