Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Curry's WC/French hating advert.

• 06-05-2010 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know if anyone else has seen this ad but I got a good laugh from it.

If France get knocked out of the World Cup you'll get €100 to spend in their shop provided you buy a TV.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

Just seen the advert there on the TV, good chuckle!

Curry's UK is giving 10 pounds towards every goal england scores :eek:

You could end up getting a Tv for free knowing Rooney and Defo could pop them in left right and centre :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The embarrassment that just gives and gives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

stovelid wrote: »
    Quoted for emphasis.

This really is pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

As a gimmick idea its fantastic. They'll probably make a profit out of it too. Many people still very sore over the whole debacle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Dey Tuk R jarbs land wimmin reason to get hammered in the middle of the day for a month!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

grenache wrote: »
    As a gimmick idea its fantastic. They'll probably make a profit out of it too. Many people still very sore over the whole debacle.

Can you imagine our reaction though if it was the English who were doing it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Marketing Gimmick Wise - Pretty Smart

In General - Imo, it's pretty sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

stovelid wrote: »

+1

If they were offering money off when the brits got knocked out, there would be a slew of posters on here giving out and telling us to move on etc.

Beyond tedious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Not as bad as the sun newspaper, "Anything but the French" jibe, a true rag of a paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Gamestop have a similar offer, if you buy the new 2010 FIFA World Cup game they give you a full refund if France win the World Cup. (no worries for them there)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭deisedude

Its a pretty effective ad to be fair. Like it or loathe it, its got people talking already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

They should give the TV for free if they win the world cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Embarassing? Seriously?

If that ad makes you embarassed, then you have no hope. Try sending a drunken e-mail to your personal tutor in college, then come back to me! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Seriously, what's the problem with people being pissed off with the French? They won a world cup play off with a handball only a few months ago, ffs. An advertising campaign based on people being pissed off with the French during the WC, embarrassing? Hardly.

Some posters on here are just trying to look more ''football'' than the plebs, me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

but it's not the French we should be pissed off with. It's FIFA. The French only done what they had to, fair play to them.

podge018 wrote: »
    but it's not the French we should be pissed off with. It's FIFA. The French only done what they had to, fair play to them.

But the ad and the ill wishes for the french are hardly the big embarrassing issue some make them out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Pro. F wrote: »
    But the ad and the ill wishes for the french are hardly the big embarrassing issue some make them out to be.
    Henry's Twitter page.

How was that not embarassing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Thats not embarassing.

Asking to be the 33rd team at the World Cup is embarassing.

Henry's Twitter page.

How was that not embarassing?

I'm talking about this ad and a general feeling of ill will. I don't know what was on Henry's twitter page but I can well believe it was embarrassing. The lads who marched to the French embassy and covered their faces on the news, that was embarrassing too.

The 33rd team thing just made me more mad at Blatter's disgraceful behaviour, the way he made a joke of it. My understanding was that it wasn't a formal request and for all we know was only briefly mentioned in conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

I'm talking about this ad and a general feeling of ill will. I don't know what was on Henry's twitter page but I can well believe it was embarrassing. The lads who marched to the French embassy and covered their faces on the news, that was embarrassing too.

The 33rd team thing just made me more mad at Blatter's disgraceful behaviour, the way he made a joke of it. My understanding was that it wasn't a formal request and for all we know was only briefly mentioned in conversation

The fact that it even crossed the mind of our delegates is an embarrassment let alone that it was mentioned in any form other than a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

podge018 wrote: »

Yeah, cos FIFA handballed it :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I wasn't involved in any twitter, facebook or any other things that went on after our World Cup exit at the hands of a cheating Frenchman, and some of the stuff that went on after it was ridiculous.

But

The guys on here with the 'Irish soccer fans, FAI were an embarrassment' really annoy me. If you understood soccer at all you would be well aware of the craziness that follows it around. In fact some of you who are calling this an embarrassment should go back and read the amount of embarrassing bull that you write on here in regards to soccer.

I'm not claiming to be a know it all here but I do understand that people get carried away over matches and especially with cheating and none of what happened is really that embarrassing at all, its just the norm with soccer.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I wasn't involved in any twitter, facebook or any other things that went on after our World Cup exit at the hands of a cheating Frenchman, and some of the stuff that went on after it was ridiculous.

But

The guys on here with the 'Irish soccer fans, FAI were an embarrassment' really annoy me. If you understood soccer at all you would be well aware of the craziness that follows it around. In fact some of you who are calling this an embarrassment should go back and read the amount of embarrassing bull that you write on here in regards to soccer.

I'm not claiming to be a know it all here but I do understand that people get carried away over matches and especially with cheating and none of what happened is really that embarrassing at all, its just the norm with soccer.

Absolutely in the heat of the moment people get carried away. The facebook pages etc were products of the anger and revulsion people felt at that time.

However the FAI suggesting a place in the WC as the 33d country is embarrassing no matter which way you look at it. It'd be like Fiorentina wanting to be the 9th team in the quarter finals of the Champions League this season because Bayern went through with a clearly offside goal. And let's be honest ; the FAI, they wanted that place purely because they saw the €€€€ flash before their eyes not for the good of the fans etc.

Then we have a journalist turning up to Henry's house demanding he signed an apology to the Irish nation. That is also attention grabbing and embarrassing. If it had been Duff or Keane to have done the same thing they would have been revered as heroes here.

Now Curry's (a British firm) are trying to cash in on the French thing with this ad. Its a marketing ploy to evoke this outrage that went through the country again and to be honest its a bit desperate. At this point the Henry thing is just a bad joke in Ireland. Personally it wouldn't bother me if they won the WC with an Henry hat trick in the final, they got through its over afaic. But that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Fair play to Curry's - and I'm half French :D

Kirnsy wrote: »
    Absolutely in the heat of the moment people get carried away. The facebook pages etc were products of the anger and revulsion people felt at that time.

However the FAI suggesting a place in the WC as the 33d country is embarrassing no matter which way you look at it. It'd be like Fiorentina wanting to be the 9th team in the quarter finals of the Champions League this season because Bayern went through with a clearly offside goal. And let's be honest ; the FAI, they wanted that place purely because they saw the €€€€ flash before their eyes not for the good of the fans etc.
    Remember Liverpool wanting to be in the Champion's league because they were Champions although they didn't qualify like everybody else and they got their way.
    Remember the Federal Republic of Yoguslavia was banned from playing in the European Championships even though they were allowed in the qualifiers and topped their group. Denmark were given their place and went on to win it.
    As you can see strange things have happened before and will happen again.
    I would also add that I firmly believe that if the situation had been reversed there would have been huge repercussions.
    Then we have a journalist turning up to Henry's house demanding he signed an apology to the Irish nation. That is also attention grabbing and embarrassing. If it had been Duff or Keane to have done the same thing they would have been revered as heroes here.
    Would they though? I'd personally have hated it, I'd find that embarrassing.

Since when did one journalist or in fact journalists represent the nation? Who cares?
    Now Curry's (an English firm) are trying to cash in on the French thing with this ad. Its a marketing ploy to evoke this outrage that went through the country again and to be honest its a bit desperate. At this point the Henry thing is just a bad joke in Ireland. Personally it wouldn't bother me if they won the WC with an Henry hat trick in the final, they got through its over afaic. But that's just my opinion.
    It would bother me still, I'm still hoping he gets injured before the World Cup and plays no part. He doesn't deserve to be there imo and its not because it happened against Ireland, although I have to admit that it adds to it, but because he cheated.
    Curry's will do anything it can to make a few more bucks, its no biggie at all.

It would bother me still, I'm still hoping he gets injured before the World Cup and plays no part. He doesn't deserve to be there imo and its not because it happened against Ireland, although I have to admit that it adds to it, but because he cheated.

Of course it is.

If a player does it for your team its not cheating or its well everyone does it, if it is against your own team its cheating.

Maradona handball against England is brilliant and very very funny, and lets vote it as the greatest English sporting moment, whereas Henry handball is "cheating" and 2hope he gets injured etc.....

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Of course it is.

No its not, do I know you from somewhere? How have you the termerity to make such a statement?

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Of course it is.

If a player does it for your team its not cheating or its well everyone does it, if it is against your own team its cheating.

Maradona handball against England is brilliant and very very funny, and lets vote it as the greatest English sporting moment, whereas Henry handball is "cheating" and 2hope he gets injured etc.....
    Speak for yourself.

I was disgusted by Maradona's handball against England.

No its not, do I know you from somewhere? How have you the termerity to make such a statement?

Fair enough if thats the case, fair play to you :) but I expect to see you openly call your own players cheats when they are involved in a cheating incident.

Have been on this forum long enough to see people saying oh if one of my teams players did it I would come out and condem them and would feel the same, of course when it happens they don't but as you said I don't know you, so fair play if thats how you feel, I think you are in a very small minority.

• Advertisement

Speak for yourself.

I was disgusted by Maradona's handball against England.

Fair play :)

You were in a minority though, remember the campaign organised to get it as the best English sporting moment ;)

Remember Liverpool wanting to be in the Champion's league because they were Champions although they didn't qualify like everybody else and they got their way.
    Remember the Federal Republic of Yoguslavia was banned from playing in the European Championships even though they were allowed in the qualifiers and topped their group. Denmark were given their place and went on to win it.
    As you can see strange things have happened before and will happen again.
    Afaik the Yugoslav affair was due to their war torn genocide ridden problems as opposed to a refereeing mistake and the Liverpool incident was the fact that no rule had been made to prevent the problem of a Champions League winning team not actually qualifying, again not down to a mistake.

Even still it doesn't make it any less embarrassing though that the FAI asked to be brought along.

I would also add that I firmly believe that if the situation had been reversed there would have been huge repercussions.[/QUOTE]

Would they though? I'd personally have hated it, I'd find that embarrassing.

That's your opinion. Not everyone is as honest as yourself (no sarcasm)
    Since when did one journalist or in fact journalists represent the nation? Who cares?

They don't but I found the stunt embarrassing and pathetic personally speaking along with the FAI thing. It hasn't cost me a nights sleep but it was such a blatant tacky attempt at publicity that was associated with Ireland.

Agreed. I don't like dissecting quotes but there was a lot I wanted to reply to and its neater/more understandable this way!

The fact that it even crossed the mind of our delegates is an embarrassment let alone that it was mentioned in any form other than a joke.
    As far as I'm aware all we have to go on is Blatter's reporting of the conversation. For all we know there was a heated argument going on at the time and somebody just blurted it out without thinking. The fact that we know it was said at all is simply Blatter being totally unprofessional yet again. It wasn't a formal request so there is nothing to get worked up over.
    And let's be honest ; the FAI, they wanted that place purely because they saw the €€€€ flash before their eyes not for the good of the fans etc.
    I hate Dellany and his crowd as much as the next man but this statement is just poor reasoning. How do you know why the FAI wanted the WC place? What could they possibly have done to prove that they wanted the wc place for the right reasons?

As far as I'm aware all we have to go on is Blatter's reporting of the conversation. For all we know there was a heated argument going on at the time and somebody just blurted it out without thinking. The fact that we know it was said at all is simply Blatter being totally unprofessional yet again. It wasn't a formal request so there is nothing to get worked up over.

Not getting worked up over it, i do feel it was embarrassing though I also feel Blatter put us in the shít by making it public as you say unprofessional to the extreme.
    I hate Dellany and his crowd as much as the next man but this statement is just poor reasoning. How do you know why the FAI wanted the WC place? What could they possibly have done to prove that they wanted the wc place for the right reasons?

Well there is no doubt that Ireland in the WC would have benefited them massively financially but I accept I have nothing to base that opinion on. Must be good old fashioned bias against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Seriously, what's the problem with people being pissed off with the French? They won a world cup play off with a handball only a few months ago, ffs. An advertising campaign based on people being pissed off with the French during the WC, embarrassing? Hardly.

I generally agree with this sentiment, the issue for me is more that Currys, while the advert is good, is an English company.

Advertisement