Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Bike Mechanic in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

We are Dublins only dedicated Bicycle Mechanics.

You sure about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

So you call a mobile number, then somebody comes along in a van and takes away your bike - for free!

What could possibly go wrong?

Cynical maybe, but I'd like to at least know where they're based.

For mountain-bike specific work I'd highly recommend http://www.octuning.ie/.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

A NEW mechanic for bikes? Suerly not. Tell me it isn't so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Competition is always good but I don't think comparing your prices to one of the most expensive stores in Dublin does them any justice.
    Also the claim
    "Why choose BikeFixed?
    We collect and deliver bikes to and from your house. FREE"
    How's it FREE is you've paying for it in the all inclusive prices. Seriously though it's hard to envisage them collecting and delivering bikes all over dublin with them stuck in traffic loosing time and money. Reckon it would also be a hassle for the cyclist organising a collection and delivery time that suits and allowing for delays. Could be a better and more convenient service if they had a fixed store location but suppose that would involve hiring a store rather than working out the back of one's home garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Jam Ring

yep.
    Very cheap and takes the hassle oua bringing the bike to and from a bike shop, to be overcharged by some college lad who is only doing the job for bita cash.

Alot cheaper than everywhere else!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Tell me more! Where are you they based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Good luck with the venture but it is a bit disingenous to promote it on here giving the impression you have nothing to do with it (which you do painfully badly BTW.)

Jaysus.

Im getting a grilling here.....

based in Inchicore. dont let the location put u off.

and too colloseus..
    iv worked in these places and have seen the prices... its absolutely ludicris. The concept is simple tho. They pick up the bike. The do the job. And they deliver it. For 25 or 40 euro.
    wats so hard to understand.

ssshhhhhh blorg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

Well... if it takes the hassle oua taking the bike to some college lad who is only doing the job for bita cash I'm all for it....!

Good luck with that one ;)

• Advertisement

seriously tho.... anybody tink this is a gud idea???

I mean cheap. Gets the job done. Delivered to your door. etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Jam Ring wrote: »
    seriously tho.... anybody tink this is a gud idea???

Yes.

You should declare your connection though - it just looks like inept shilling otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

Well you (sorry) they are in competition with the Bike Van that has a breakdown service for cyclists. They are attached to a courier company so they are a bit more traceable than some guy in a van calling to your house saying "Howya boss. I've come about the bike".

You (sorry, there I go again) They have a lot more work to do reassuring people that they'll ever see their bikes again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Anyone ever found a competent mechanic that actually *really* cared about getting bikes working perfectly?

Me neither.

ok chris peak...

so how would you go make it more secure for people.
    Like look at all my ads on adverts.
    Its kind of obvious that what i do is race bikes.
    Its not like i want to rob 100 euro bikes or antin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

tunney wrote: »
    Anyone ever found a competent mechanic that actually *really* cared about getting bikes working perfectly?

Me neither.

It would seem Mr Skeffington is well regarded here.

I dont like the website linked to in the OP post. I would expect to see names, proof of the 25 years experience etc. I for one wouldnt give them my sons trike to service.

Yes.

The only problem is the sense of shame that comes from bringing your bike to be fixed by someone vastly better at cycling, although this may not apply to you.

ok damoz. ur point just proves the lack f trust ppl have these days.

ok chris peak...

so how would you go make it more secure for people.
    Like look at all my ads on adverts.
    Its not like i want to rob 100 euro bikes or antin.

All i can see is your advertising a service to collect bikes from people - and you also sell alot of bikes on Adverts . Now im not accusing you of anything here - but i think you might see how this looks !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

ok damoz. ur point just proves the lack f trust ppl have these days.

You can't honestly expect people to be keen on handing over their trusty steed to a man-wiv-a-van if the man is COMPLETELY ANONYMOUS and unaccountable/untraceable?

That's not "these days" either - people have never been keen on those who hide their identities.

• Advertisement

awh damoz....

seriously... the things i have sold on adverts are all bits an bobs around the house that i dnt use.

How do u think i would b able to get away with collecting a bike from some1 and posting it up on adverts the next day.

Aint gna hapnin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

It's a good idea. A lot of people who cycle also drive (shock!) so getting to your local bike shop isn't too much hassle. There are of course those whose bike is their main source of transport and walking 5km with a creaking bike isn't too appealing so they just let it go unrepaired and barely usable.

However, for any new business to succeed you need to build trust. Would I trust a guy who comes on and advertises in a sly manner instead of being honest outright and saying "Hey, I've started a new business, what do you guys think?" or even a "Free check-up" offer. Otherwise why would people switch from their LBS to your unproven service. Because "your mate" said they are great?

Look at Mr.Skeffington: a whole thread of satisfied customers, more importantly satisfied boardsies, so he is established as a trust worthy and competent mechanic within the community.

awh damoz....

seriously... the things i have sold on adverts are all bits an bobs around the house that i dnt use.

How do u think i would b able to get away with collecting a bike from some1 and posting it up on adverts the next day.

Aint gna hapnin.

2 x BH Global Concept bikes selling for less than half market value. Damn, i wish i had bits and bobs like you have lying around.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Are you an ex-South Dublin rider? I think I might know who you are in that case?

point taken dirk voodoo.

But i was told by the administrator not to put it up as an ad... so had to try some other way of getting it up on bords to get a reaction.

If u want to know anything about me just go ahead and ask.

Me neither.

Over to you Kona....

If u want to know anything about me just go ahead and ask.

Why are you called Jam Ring?

el tonto... nope i aint the guy ur tinkin off.

catchy name dont ya think...
    dats y

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

apart from fixing bikes are spelling competitions your second passion?

I don't think there is a need to start taking cheap digs at the guy.

BUT, this is kind of proving the point. If you had one or two happy boards customers you would not be under such suspicion. I really think offering a free service to the first 10 people who reply is the way to go. Yeah it will cost you now, but ya gotta spend money to make money.

well obviously no1 is a fan.... worth a try... cheers lads.

tanks for the good comments tho dirk voodoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Full service for €25? Either that doesn't include parts, or it's not the "full service" that I'm thinking of.

A full service is thus (briefly):
    Inspecting the drivetrain for wear.
    Cleaning/lubing the chain
    Inspecting the wheels (incl. tyres) for damage and debris
    Repairing minor wobbles in the wheel
    Inspecting the hubs for wear
    Replacing brake & gear cable inners.
    Tuning brakes/Inspecting for wear.
    Tuning gears.
    Checking the bottom bracket
    Checking the headset.

You can expect that to consume the best part of an hour. For €25, your profit margins are going to be super tight.

Now, if you remove the replacement of the cables and repairs to the wheel, then that's a "service" and would probably take closer to 30 minutes.

My actual point here is that is your "website" is woefully inadequate. You might be the best damn mechanics on the face of the planet, but a few lines written in a free blog don't tell me that.

You need a website. With your own .ie domain, a contact phone number and a contact address. You need to list your services, what they do include and what they don't include. You also need to include an actual booking form, complete with confirmations.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea, but it's for people whose time is limited. They don't want to ring a phone number or send an email. They want to click a few buttons and book themselves in. You might also want to do a little bit of research - isn't there some student team offering to service bikes in people's workplaces?

Slightly separately - 2 working days to service a bike? If I booked my bike into the cycle superstore to be serviced on a Saturday morning, I would expect to be able to collect it at lunchtime or at worst before the end of the day. Maybe that's just me.

In all seriousness, the basic problem with a collection service is that the customer doesn't know if they'll get it back.

If you're working on the bike in someone's home (or your own) then there's no issue.

So you might need to consider starting out with a "while you wait" service until you get a few recommendations behind you.

Also, there are some jobs (e.g. bike building) where you need the customer there for some bits, like setting up the bar/shifter angles.

Good luck anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

catchy name dont ya think...
    dats y

Can you please stop with the text speak, it makes me think of you as some 13 year old, and I wouldn't trust them to fix my bicycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Can you please stop with the text speak, it makes me think of you as some 13 year old, and I wouldn't trust them to fix my bicycle.
    Is there not rules against text speak somewhere??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've lost any interest as soon as I see Txt Spk. Thats like a big sign saying don't walk, but run away. Ignoring that, (if you can) I'd want to see a name, number and a address before I'd even consider reading the site never mind using it. First thing I check for is a contacts page. Then I'd expect someone promoting it to be straight up thats exactly what they are doing.

IMO, Cost isn't the issue. Anyone who wants to save money, won't service a bike anyway. Anyone who wants this kinda service has money, but wants a really professional job done. or they'd just do it themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭sexpot

Who are the 3 bike mechanics mentioned in the ad by the way?

Also text speak is the least professional way of putting your advertisement/self promotion across. How can anyone take you seriously or trust someone using a 13 year olds dictionary?

Are you insured against any bikes being nicked damaged whilest in your care?

Dude, you're getting a pasteing here and although your idea is a good one you just to approach it differently. These suggestions on here are good ones because they're from the customer viewpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I wish you every success with the venture, but you just need to do it differently.
    Photos of the work shop and Biographies on the Mechanics would be nice, gives it a human touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

In fairness I believe the OP has a good concept & may be a very competent mechanic with a good team behind him. As a bike mechanic he/she may not have the full skill set in promoting and putting forward the business adequately. There have been some very helpful suggestions here, that I hope the OP takes into consideration.

I hope the business is a success - & that will be proven mostly by word of mouth, which rely s on good service. But I would agree that a .ie website & a comprehensive description of services & pricing would be very beneficial.

Fair play for starting a new & hopefully innovative service in difficult times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

LOL:D

I dont think the OP is a thief, when you are around bikes long enough, you can pick up serious deals from suppliers/ sell offs from other shops.
    Its quite possible to buy bikes and sell them for half RRP and still make a tidy profit..... Everybody wins, buyer gets a brand new bike 1/2 RRP and seller makes a few bob.

Now the OP does sound like some college lad, who has a van now that he has finished his summer exams..............I love summer ventures. 25 years experience between 3 mechanics isnt a whole lot TBH.

Good luck with the venture OP but I think you have to be very careful about how you go about this if you want to make money.
    What areas do you cover.

ps. I do give a **** about getting a bike working properly. Now weather Im considered competant is another matter.:pac:

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Are you insured against any bikes being nicked damaged whilest in your care?

Dude, you're getting a pasteing here and although your idea is a good one you just to approach it differently. These suggestions on here are good ones because they're from the customer viewpoint.

More importantley, is he insured against any potential claims against himself due to a bike being repaired poorly and causing injury.

These things happen, and they happen to the most skilled mechanics.

Jesus 2 Days to fix a bike??

Lets compare times,

"HellFrauds"= Next Day
    "Random van man" = 2 days????

You should be able to service a bike in their house or driveway. A full service doesnt take more than a Hour.

Save you petrol too ;)

I'm guessing it makes sense from a logistical point of view. Collect a van load of bikes on day 1, service them and return them in the one go on day 3.

Maybe a mobile bike mechanic direct to your door is the way to go, but you could be getting calls that are at opposite ends of the city. Plus not everyone has the right space to work in, if you need something like a vise you don't want to be hauling it out of the van, looking for a surface to mount it on. Oh crap, I forgot my chain whip, I'll come back in an hour, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭bikenut

As Dirk says....

If you are looking to set up a bicycle-repair business Jam Ring, I think there could be a good market out there for mobile bicycle repair - calling around to peoples houses and fixing the bike in the driveway.

Check out the AA's new advertising campaign - "Go-Not-Tow - 80% of cars repaired at the roadside"

Unless I'm missing something, it benefits the customer (time, security) and saves you (petrol, time). Bicycle repair doesn't require tools in the same way car repair does.

"Free collection/delivery" - unfortunately, that's a business model of the 1970s, along with airport check-in desks, supermarket checkouts and in-branch banking.

Your on demand approach would def allow you to charge more. Your current price comparison of €25 v €45 probably goes against you when you factor in public liability insurance and general reputation/reliability/ability.

Note, I'm not saying you have to get liability insurance - but people will take it into account in terms of what they're willing to pay.

Mr Skeffington has 182 positive feedbacks - in a world where a happy customer tells 1 person and an unhappy customer tells 10 (I know I hate this stupid quote too), and on an anonymous website, that's simply unbelievable. (i.e. you've a long way to go)

Wouldn't it be funny if the dishwasher or fridge repair man said "sure I'll just take it away in the van and drop it back to you" - am...er...okaaaay?

bikenut wrote: »
    Ah Dirk - I got distracted in the middle of writing my piece - wasn't stealing your idea - honest!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

+1, I think it would make sense to fix on the spot what can be fixed on the spot. Better service for the customer and saves you money too. I do realise there are some things that an experienced mechanic can do very quickly but still needs to charge for. You can justify this on the customer paying for the skill but in your case you can also justify it on the fact it was a callout.

You should be able to fit a decent set of mobile tools/workstand into a van.

5_600.jpg

Anything that can't be fixed on the spot you can take away to be worked on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Me neither.
    Yes plenty of them. I have met less cyclists that are willing to pay for the time to do this....and there are a lot more cyclists than skilled mechanics

• Advertisement
Advertisement