Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hilltop range

Options
  • 06-05-2010 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

Does anybody here shoot in hilltop shooting club?whats it like there?is it a good facility.I shoot .22 rifle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

dont know about rifles, Shot clays up there a few times, the wife is great to deal with the husband is a bit ignorant though,
    ring them,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I am a member of Hilltop Shooting Club - I think it is a very good club and range.

For .22 Rifle they have a 50m Benchrest Range with 10 covered firing points and also shoot Smallbore Gallery Rifle depending on the type of rifle you have.

They also have

Numerous extensive clay layouts, including 60 bird sporting, 25 Bird ABT (Covered and Floodlit) , 25 Bird DTL (Covered and Floodlit) , 35 Bird Compact Sporting (Covered and Floodlit)

Numerous outdoor and indoor Pistol and Gallery Rifle ranges

Indoor and Outdoor Archery Ranges

Have you been there yet? If not then call Pat - and drop up for a look - don't allow people to tell you your opinion - go find out for yourself.

Their next club shoots are coming up in June and their next National Competition is coming up in October.

There was a write up on them in the March NASRPC newsletter and they held the February NASRPC Fundraiser which was reported on in the February Edition of the NASRPC Newsletter at which there were over 60 entries for Smallboire Benchrest Rifle and almost 40 entries for Smallbore Gallery Rifle.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

just got avery nice reply to my question from a member of hilltop there by pm,very nice to have this happen,other clubs did not respond to calls or emails!Thanks hilltop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

great pistol range in that you can pop in anytime if you are a member , pat can be a bit gruff though, but he's ok when you deal with him a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭berettadt10

Hi
    Dont know anything about there setup there, but i have had personal experience with the owners beware!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

Hi
    Dont know anything about there setup there, but i have had personal experience with the owners beware!!!
    then keep your own counsel ;)it's not a personal opinion about the owners he asked for but
    the club and it's facilities was it not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

Is it just me or has anyone else ever noticed that the owners of firearm related businesses can often be ignorant p***ks - just as a few people above have commented on the owner of the above range, Theres also a guy owns a range and gunshop in waterford city who again is also an ignorant guy to deal with and in a thread last week i read about the staff\owner in a well known Galway gun shop being a p***k aswell.
    Do these w****rs not realise that its people like us that give them their business and that in times like this they should be glad to get whatever business they can.
    I dont know what goes on in these guys heads but they seem to be putting themselves up on pedestals that dont exit.
    Simply by reading the above comments I wouldnt bother going to the hilltop range. I know one lad comments that the owner is ok after dealing with you a few times - why should I have to earn HIS respect - F**k him he should be glad I'm at his range spending my hard earned money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

vixdname wrote: »
    Is it just me or has anyone else ever noticed that the owners of firearm related businesses can often be ignorant p***ks - just as a few people above have commented on the owner of the above range, Theres also a guy owns a range and gunshop in waterford city who again is also an ignorant guy to deal with and in a thread last week i read about the staff\owner in a well known Galway gun shop being a p***k aswell.
    Do these w****rs not realise that its people like us that give them their business and that in times like this they should be glad to get whatever business they can.
    I dont know what goes on in these guys heads but they seem to be putting themselves up on pedestals that dont exit.
    Simply by reading the above comments I wouldnt bother going to the hilltop range. I know one lad comments that the owner is ok after dealing with you a few times - why should I have to earn HIS respect - F**k him he should be glad I'm at his range spending my hard earned money.

i didn't really deal with him that much but he had what i wanted so i bought it from him (old bsa martini rifle) , i think the fact that nearly every owner of a gunshop i have gone into is in the same mould , eg not very talkative or borderline rude is due to the fact that they get so many tyre-kickers and dreamers through the door. looking at guns they can't ever get a licence for.
    if someone is outright rude like the guy in tallaght rod and gun , i just walk out and never return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

rowa wrote: »
    i didn't really deal with him that much but he had what i wanted so i bought it from him (old bsa martini rifle) , i think the fact that nearly every owner of a gunshop i have gone into is in the same mould , eg not very talkative or borderline rude is due to the fact that they get so many tyre-kickers and dreamers through the door. looking at guns they can't ever get a licence for.
    if someone is outright rude like the guy in tallaght rod and gun , i just walk out and never return.

Should try McBride in Athlone, best sales man ever. You go in for a look and always will buy !

If you ever mention you like something in passing a month later they are on the shelf!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Commercial interests and shooting sports are never a good mix IMHO.

I know that at the time it was not against the law, but I do not think it was good for the sport to rent pistols to people that did not hold a firearms certificate.

Just my view!

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    Commercial interests and shooting sports are never a good mix IMHO.

I know that at the time it was not against the law, but I do not think it was good for the sport to rent pistols to people that did not hold a firearms certificate.

Just my view!

I thought it was against the law, please explain for the joes out there who are new to this?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I thought it was against the law, please explain for the joes out there who are new to this?
    it is against the law now, it was not at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

The usual sniping from the cheap seats - consistency in a world gone mad

I cannot speak about others but Cookie is what he is and that is why Hilltop is such a tight ship - he does not suffer fools gladly and will lick nobodys hole for them - if that's what your after it's not where you wanna go

if however you want to shoot, have a bit of craic, learn how to be safer and have access to a wide range of ranges and disciplines and the advise of a very large membership - including Cookie - then it is where you want to go

As I advised the OP - and as I will now advise the poster who said he would not visit Hilltop based on comments he heard here - don't be a sheep and have people tell you your opinion -

go see for yourself

B'Man

rowa wrote: »

You have a point rowa, but lets face it, most commercial premises are open to the public to enable them to browse and most of the time not buy...AT THAT TIME....but how many potential customers no matter what the product on sale is (Guns, Cars, Clothes) wander from shop to shop to see whats on offer and for what price before finally making a purchase in the shop that gives the best deal....Gun shops are no diferent...I for one wont walk into the 1st gun shop I see and purchase the first gun i see when I'm looking to buy one..I'll wander around see whats on offer and then make my choice....and if I go into a gun shop where the guy behind the counter if ignorant then more then likely unless he has a real bargain on offer I wont buy from him.
    Imagine if car sales men were the same:
    Customer wanders into Audi showroom, looks at the models on offer but the car sales man stays behind his desk farting and grunting at everyone....

CUSTOMER: Hi, i was just wondering what details you can give me on that Audi A5 over there

SALESMAN: What ?

CUSTOMER: Hi, i was just wondering what details you can give me on that Audi A5 over there

SALESMAN: What do you want to know ?

CUSTOMER: Well, what engine sizes are available....colours.....extras..that kind of stuff.

SALESMAN: (Rolls his eyes to heaven, farts again and with a bored face says) It has four wheels, is made of metal, goes fast and gives really ****ty mileage.

Salesman wanders away scratching his hairy arse with a copy of "How To Make That Sale" magazine under his arm.
    He turns around and says "Come back and ask me about that car 6 more times over the next few days and you might earn my respect enough for me to tell you about that car that you may want to buy"

Customer thinks to himself: Jaysus I didnt know Johnny who owns the gun shops brother worked here.

So just imagine if all commercial premises owners acted like the aforementioned gun shop range owners, the country would be bankrupt.

go see for yourself
    The best way to find out to be honest.

What does it cost for membership and "green fees" ?

well ill go sat have a see for myself allready had someone very helpfull on to me from there!so hopefully it all works out,all i want do is get into shooting proper and have fun safely!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

As a fellow member of hilltop, I think the proprieter of said range shop, and club is absolutely sound. Anyone who deals in firearms would be a bit wary of people coming in off the street asking questions about guns.

Like I say, No problems here :)

cool u enjoy shooting there?thats what i want be able enjoy my shooting

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

vixdname wrote: »
    ..........Imagine if car sales men were the same:
    Customer wanders into Audi showroom, looks at the models on offer but the car sales man stays behind his desk farting and grunting at everyone....

SALESMAN: What ?

SALESMAN: What do you want to know ?

CUSTOMER: Well, what engine sizes are available....colours.....extras..that kind of stuff.

SALESMAN: (Rolls his eyes to heaven, farts again and with a bored face says) It has four wheels, is made of metal, goes fast and gives really ****ty mileage.

Salesman wanders away scratching his hairy arse with a copy of "How To Make That Sale" magazine under his arm.
    He turns around and says "Come back and ask me about that car 6 more times over the next few days and you might earn my respect enough for me to tell you about that car that you may want to buy"

COMPLETELY off topic. You're not from Carlow? You just described an experience i had 3 years ago.

Result, i smuggly drove my new €55,000 jeep into his court yard a month later.

Sorry all, carry on.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Hmmm...

I have always found that Pat doesn't suffer fools gladly. I have always found him to be absolutely open and honest. I like him for that:D

I'm sure that the OP can make up his or her own mind after a visit!

• Advertisement

bazza888 wrote: »
    cool u enjoy shooting there?thats what i want be able enjoy my shooting

I am sure you will enjoy yourself there.

I could never get a straight answer on costs though. Perhaps a member here could enlighten us?

Rosahane wrote: »
    Hmmm...

I have always found that Pat doesn't suffer fools gladly. I have always found him to be absolutely open and honest. I like him for that:D

I'm sure that the OP can make up his or her own mind after a visit!

If one operates a business/club Club's business is to keep funds in the coffers so the club can function.

If the meet and greet person is rude it will discourage membership.

I have experienced both types of people.
    There is no need to be rude, even if the you think the person is less knowledgeable.
    It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.

Our sport is not on Croke park/Landsdowne Road scale. Therefore it is important we all get along.

I was often wondering about attending said club as I own a pistol.
    If I was going to be treated rudely after driving a long way to do business/spend money in the club, the least i would expect is a smile on arrival.
    Am I naive in my thinking here??:confused:
    Should I take off my rose coloured glasses?;)

ezridax wrote: »
    Okay i don't know who stole the cream from your bun, but all i asked about was your "story" about the car dealership conversation. I stated MY POST was completely off topic.

I never said nor implied that all topics should be about Hilltop Club. You infered from my post that, that was what i was saying and instead of asking like a human being your first intention was to attack and insult me.

I have never been to Hilltop so have not posted about it.

ezridax, my apologise, i took you up completely the wrong way !!!
    I hold my hands up and again apologise for my reply to your post, i will remove my reply asap. sorry again !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I am sure you will enjoy yourself there.

I could never get a straight answer on costs though. Perhaps a member here could enlighten us?

Call up and ask! you will be very welcome, have a look round and see just how much is on offer. You will be pleasantly surprised:cool:

PM any of us if you want to arrange:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I've no dog in this fight.
    I once called to Hilltop on my way back from a call in Wexford; just arrived, said I usually went to Courtlough for a few rounds of clays, asked would he mind if I had a look around. Guy I took to be boss told a younger guy to bring me around, could not have been more helpful or polite. Good sales talk, heavy on the pistol stuff though, indoor range, etc. when all I wanted was to see the clays set-up.
    I would go there to shoot no prob.
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Is there centrefire rifle (not gallery rifle) shot up in Hilltop at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Is there centrefire rifle (not gallery rifle) shot up in Hilltop at all?

Another Hilltop member here, there is no centrefire rifle shot in hilltop at the moment but Pat has expressed an interest in developing a centrefire rifle range so heres hoping :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

N.O.I.P. wrote: »
    Another Hilltop member here, there is no centrefire rifle shot in hilltop at the moment but Pat has expressed an interest in developing a centrefire rifle range so heres hoping :D

Good stuff. Would be very nice to have a decent zeroing range closer to home.

The best way to find out to be honest.

What does it cost for membership and "green fees" ?

Yearly membership is under 250 can't remember exact figure had my eyes closed when i was paying :D oh and theres no range fees for members.

• Advertisement

Good stuff. Would be very nice to have a decent zeroing range closer to home.

The downside is I'll be all out of excuses for not buying a fullbore rifle :D

Advertisement