Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hilltop range

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

N.O.I.P. wrote: »
    The downside is I'll be all out of excuses for not buying a fullbore rifle :D

There's never been a good excuse! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Hey folks there have been a number of reported posts on this thread.

A person is allowed give their opinion as long as they do not make accusations or use over the top derogatory language.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

2011 wrote: »
    Commercial interests and shooting sports are never a good mix IMHO.

I know that at the time it was not against the law, but I do not think it was good for the sport to rent pistols to people that did not hold a firearms certificate.

Just my view!

Now this comment is more difficult

Is this a general comment, not directed at any range in particular?

2011 can you clarify please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Vegeta wrote: »
    Now this comment is more difficult

Is this a general comment, not directed at any range in particular?

2011 can you clarify please?
    Up until the Firearms (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009, it was quite legal for a club to hold restricted firearms under an authorisation.

And for them to be used under the authority of section 2(4)(d) of the firearms act.

Depending on the conditions of the authorisation of course.

So 2011's post is prefectly OK unless you don't agree with his opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Pat in Hilltop is sound when he gets to know you. first rate facilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

Jonty wrote: »
    Pat in Hilltop is sound when he gets to know you. first rate facilities.

Have you not read any of the previous posts.
    WHY Jonty do you think its ok for the owner of a business that you are keeping in business and keeping food on his table, for him to be able to be ignorant or gruff to you and "When he gets to know you" or you "earn his respect" he may deem you worthy of a civil word.
    Its people like you who are willing to be belittled or disrespected by these ignoramouses that are responsible for putting these people on pedistals and are willing to accept being treated like that all because "Sure he is what he is"..I'm sorry mate, but thats not a viable excuse for being a pig to paying clients and that holds for every and any business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

vixdname wrote: »
    WHY Jonty do you think its ok for the owner of a business that you are keeping in business and keeping food on his table, for him to be able to be ignorant or gruff to you and "When he gets to know you" or you "earn his respect" he may deem you worthy of a civil word.
    Its people like you who are willing to be belittled or disrespected by these ignoramouses that are responsible for putting these people on pedistals and are willing to accept being treated like that all because "Sure he is what he is"..I'm sorry mate, but thats not a viable excuse for being a pig to paying clients and that holds for every and any business

Hello again all. Great to be back:D

On this topic, I don't know the man in question but maybe his attitude towards potential punters could be explained by him wanting to "vet" people wanting to use his facility. This would seem to be the case given that members of the Hilltop Range seem to have no problem with him "once he gets to know you".

After all we are dealing with firearms here and I'm sure he is paying a decent chunk of money out each year for insurance and just wants to be sure he is taking on members with a good knowledge of firearm safety, not some trigger happy clowns out for tom-foolery!!

Just my out-siders view, for what its worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Boring boring boring. You've too much time and keep repeating yourself.

Read my post #30 on bottom of page 2. Like to comment on that?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

I am not a member of Hilltop so cannot comment on the day-to-day running and personalities involved in the range and club.....but

I have shot at Hilltop on a couple of occasions and have never found the "staff" to be anything other than helpful.

In fact, it was at Hilltop where I first shot my very first rifle (and that's not so long ago) - The experience made me want to continue with my shooting and the rest remains to be written in the history books!:D:rolleyes:

So, all I can say is that my own experiences in Hilltop have been good and enjoyable.

Others may think or have experienced otherwise. But not knowing the various personalities involved, I cannot honestly, and am not going to, debate that matter. I'll leave that to others better informed to address.

As one of the previous posters said: Best to go up there and see for yourself and then make your own decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I'm afraid you have lost me there!

You are making a big assumption in that an obviously disgruntled person is correct in his attempted character assassination. Actually if you read ALL the posts you will see that people are talking about gunshop owners generally.

Not sure I agree with that either as I don't remember any bad experiences in such establishments, unlike motor dealers, but that is neither here nor there.:rolleyes:

Certainly not the case in Hilltop:D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I've had to do a bit of pruning in this thread.

Please stay well inside the charter in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭derek_g34

I'm a member of Harbour House Sports Club and have visited Hilltop on numerous occasions to practice and compete. I would consider Hilltop home from home. You'll find it hard meet a friendlier or more helpful bunch of lads or ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

is harbour house open to new members?and what type ranges do they have?

Yes I have read the posts. I don't put him up on pedistals like you said. Why don't you meet fire with fire i.e. gruffness with gruffness, you might earn some respect.

I'm not a member in Hilltop, just shot sporting there weekly for about 6 months with 2 mates.

I hate that expression "people like you". You don't know me.

pajero2005 wrote: »
    Hello again all. Great to be back:D

On this topic, I don't know the man in question but maybe his attitude towards potential punters could be explained by him wanting to "vet" people wanting to use his facility. This would seem to be the case given that members of the Hilltop Range seem to have no problem with him "once he gets to know you".

After all we are dealing with firearms here and I'm sure he is paying a decent chunk of money out each year for insurance and just wants to be sure he is taking on members with a good knowledge of firearm safety, not some trigger happy clowns out for tom-foolery!!

Just my out-siders view, for what its worth.

I'd agree fully here. An awful lot of people that wouldn't be familar with licensed shooting go up to fire shotguns

Boring boring boring. You've too much time and keep repeating yourself.

Read my post #30 on bottom of page 2. Like to comment on that?:rolleyes:

Dont you mean post #26 on page 2 and no i wouldnt like to comment on it

Rosahane wrote: »
    I'm afraid you have lost me there!

You are making a big assumption in that an obviously disgruntled person is correct in his attempted character assassination. Actually if you read ALL the posts you will see that people are talking about gunshop owners generally.

Not sure I agree with that either as I don't remember any bad experiences in such establishments, unlike motor dealers, but that is neither here nor there.:rolleyes:

Certainly not the case in Hilltop:D

Actually Rosahane, if YOU had read all of the postings here you would have seen that it was I that brought up the subject about gun shop owners and range owners in gereral so before you tell someone else to read all the postings before making a comment, then maybe you should too

Jonty wrote: »
    Yes I have read the posts. I don't put him up on pedistals like you said. Why don't you meet fire with fire i.e. gruffness with gruffness, you might earn some respect.

I'm not a member in Hilltop, just shot sporting there weekly for about 6 months with 2 mates.

I hate that expression "people like you". You don't know me.

There you go again talking about "Earning Some Respect" I dont want to have to earn anyones respect before I'm treated decently in their establishment.
    Respect can be earned with general conversation and banter over time and isnt something that I feel you should have to do earn before you treated civily.
    again I'll reiterate that I'm not talking about any one individual here , i'm just talking about a small minority of business owners in the firearms trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

Hello Vixdname,
    Perhaps you should stop digging now,
    the hole is deep enough.

You say earning respect is not important,
    You have done yourself no favours with your comments in this thread.

Dvs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Dvs wrote: »
    ........You have done yourself no favours with your comments in this thread....

I disagree

I agree range owners/operators have to run a tight ship as the first mistake/problem in the current climate could be their last. I agree a range owner/operator should "vet" visitors/members but there is no excuse for bad manners from either the range owner/operator or the visitor/member. I myself have been spoken to and all I did was keep my mouth shut and learn from it.

I have seen people on ranges who did stupid things to argue with the RO when they have been advised in a civil way that their actions are in contrvention of the rules. This is totally unacceptable IMHO. The RO's job is hard enough without people making it harder !!!!!!

Only recently a lad transgressed and was spoken to by the RO. I witnessed the incident and the subsequent warning which the individual recieved which was in no way uncivil in any way to which the transgressor proceeded to belittle the RO in front of other club members. If I was that RO I would be looking for some sort of sanctions against the individual !!!!! If you do something wrong and are spoken to about it you have to accept it, learn from it and appreciate that the RO is only doing a job, which has to be done.

Maybe people on ranges such as RO's are gruff or unfriendly because they have a lot of pressure to deal with ensuring everything runs safely and people that have not proven themselves as safe & responsible 'cause them unecessary worry? I know I have been on ranges, military & civilian, and I have been very worried by some of those around me with firearms.

• Advertisement

I disagree

You are entitled to do so.

Dvs.

There you go again talking about "Earning Some Respect" I dont want to have to earn anyones respect before I'm treated decently in their establishment.
    Respect can be earned with general conversation and banter over time and isnt something that I feel you should have to do earn before you treated civily.
    again I'll reiterate that I'm not talking about any one individual here , i'm just talking about a small minority of business owners in the firearms trade.

Have you shot in Hilltop?

edit- I see from your previous post you have. If you feel that strongly about it why don't you tell the business owner to his/her face. Afterall customer feedback is vital for business survival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

You are entitled to do so.

Dvs.

I know & I appreciate your reply. More here should adpot the same attitude ;)

I edited post while you were posting giving my reasons too.

Hello Vixdname,
    Perhaps you should stop digging now,
    the hole is deep enough.

You say earning respect is not important,
    You have done yourself no favours with your comments in this thread.

Dvs.

What on Earth are you talking about ? Digging a hole???
    I'm entitled to my opinion on this subject, and if one or two people disagree with that then so be it, thats life...it doesnt change MY opinion on anything.
    By saying that i'm digging a hole for myself implies that i now dont support some of the statements I made earlier and am looking for a way to back track on what I've said.....this couldnt be further from the truth.
    I also never said that earning respect wasnt important, what i did have an opinion on was HOW you earn that respect...and being treated ignorantly by the owner of a gun shop or range up until such a time as they deem you OK is not the way I'd like to earn someones respect...I'd much rather earn someones respect on an equal basis.

As far as having done myself no favours with my comments on this thread, I'd like you to tell me which ones you found offensive ?
    The ones where I'm expressing my opinion perhaps?.......sorry but I thought we were allowed express our opinions on this forum and if simply looking to be treated decently by a business owner is offensive to some people then perhaps they should wrap themselves in a bit more cotton wool, stick some in their ears. and pray that they wont hear that bad man talk anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Jaysus

I can't believe you are still blowing smoke out of your hole on this.

You don't like Hilltop - you don't like Pat - you don't like gun dealers - you don't like range operators - we hear ya - we just don't agree with ya.

Change the tape - get over it - try to find something you do like - it'll make your life easier.

B'Man

Hello Vixdname,
    Here is the comment I find offensive,
    Simply by reading the above comments I wouldnt bother going to the hilltop range. I know one lad comments that the owner is ok after dealing with you a few times - why should I have to earn HIS respect - F**k him he should be glad I'm at his range spending my hard earned money.

You have attempted since making it,
    to make a generalisation regarding ranges and gun dealers,
    but your above post was directed against one person,
    A man for whom I have a great deal of respect.

Dvs.

Dont you mean post #26 on page 2 and no i wouldnt like to comment on it

It was #30 but the sequence changed due to the removal of odious crap posted by you and your bedfellows. Pity you did not have either the courtesy or courage to reply to it, instead of posting a cowardly remark.
    As others have said, your arguments are long-winded and spurious; your ranting is false and you have made a personal attack on someone who is not present on these boards (AFAIK).

I went to Hilltop once, just for a look around, did not even shoot, and was made welcome with politeness. I was a total stranger to them, with no introduction. From what you’ve said and more importantly the way you said it – and continue to say it, you would not be welcomed anywhere I shoot. Thankfully.
    Bet Hilltop has a big surge in business, guys looking to see if they get red carpet or not.:D:D
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Okay, can we reel the shoutiness back in please? vixd has an unpopular point, but it's a point nonetheless (at least in the abstract) and it's one that damn near every poster on these boards has made at one point or another. Frankly, it's not even limited to the firearms trade (let alone any individual) - every service industry in this country tends to screw up when dealing with customers, as I had the pleasure of finding out when looking to see about booking a wedding reception with a hotel that I know is having financial worries. If fulltime paid professionals in a hotel can treat a potential sale worth a few grand in a fairly poor way; what odds do you think there are that it might happen to a part-time dealer in an industry where there is sufficient revenue nationwide for maybe three to five businesses to make a decent profit?

As to the original post, I've been to Hilltop, I thought it was a very decent facility and I liked the attitude of the folks running it. The stuff they shoot isn't really my favorite cup of coffee (thought it's certainly fun to try), but I didn't see too much there that raised my eyebrows and mine do tend to jump at the smallest provocation. As to gruffness, well, I didn't see anything I'm not used to, but I'm from a slightly less genteel neck of the woods. Others might see things differently when looking at the same setup, and there's no real right or wrong there.

Sparks wrote: »
    - every service industry in this country tends to screw up when dealing with customers, as I had the pleasure of finding out when looking to see about booking a wedding reception with a hotel

.................but I'm from a slightly less genteel neck of the woods.

Question. Answer:D:D:D:D
    P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

:D I said I came from somewhere less genteel. I'll have you know I'm as genteel as you can get when wrapped in leather and canvas :D

Advertisement