Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Ree - HELP!

Options
  • 06-05-2010 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

I'm really struggling to catch anything on Ree at the moment, could anyone recommend any good spots in the southern end of the lake for trout. PM would be greatly appreciated.

Was out on Monday and went from Ballymore area (heard there were some big trout caught in a certain area there at the weekend early in the morning) then all the way over to Hare island. Nothing rising to any fly, there were some fly on the water but not much.

What buzzers should I be looking to use around now if they are not surface feeding? Would intermediate line help or should I just stick to floating? What is the ideal depth to be fishing over or are the shallows around the islands best? Is there actually any decent numbers of trout in the southern area or do I have to go all the way up to the Blacks or around Nuns for a decent return?

I have yet to catch a wild brownie, yet alone a trout on Ree at all and have made it my mission to get one this year on the fly! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

have a look at the game fishing reports on the shannon regional fisheries board website they have some fishing reports for lough Ree and you might get some info or else contact them they might be able to help for all the use they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Hehe , join the club man , ree hasnt been good to me yet this year , going up with a mate on sunday trolling, you can join if ya want???
    Did ya get yur engine goin?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Engine still f00ked D, need to replace the electric box thingy or so i was told, €150 beans ffs!!!

Can't make sunday, last day of the footy season so I'll be in da pub! :D Goin to Cloghan saturday morning and evening for some therapy, have to work Saturday afternoon unfortunately. :cool:

Spent all day trolling tazzies, rapalas , lane minnows and even spinners!!

NOTHING.....NOT A PULL!!!!

the lake is just not fishin well , it hasnt fished well at all this year...

And i aint goin back up there till it is , back to piking down the shannon...

That's a balls man, was hoping to get out this weekend for a couple of hours but might save it for the week after, give the mayfly a chance to do something. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Spent all day trolling tazzies, rapalas , lane minnows and even spinners!!

NOTHING.....NOT A PULL!!!!

the lake is just not fishin well , it hasnt fished well at all this year...

And i aint goin back up there till it is , back to piking down the shannon...

trolling what a bore.........did you not try the fly my good man?? i believe Ree has been fishing well to the fly in recent seasons.

I do feck all fly fishing , im more a pike angler but like a bit of trout fishing during march/april.....

im more at home with a couple of deadbait rods and a jerkbait rod with a big bulldawg on the end....

and ree has been fisging ****e to both trollers and fly men alike this season....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

When that north east wind goes away things might improve.

coolwings wrote: »
    When that north east wind goes away things might improve.

true, its not set to change for a while though....

early next week for the wind to change to the south and it will get milder.....oh mr trout likes the mild weather..........:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭rambo87

Lads, There have been some monster trout coming off Ree in the last two weeks, the cold snap i think has reduced the insect life on the water... the very few Mayfly around last week made the fish turn onto the fry. I flogged the water around Portlick and Leveret island with the fly and trolling.. not a trout or pike in sight.
    I heard of a 9 pounder caught in Hudson bay last week on the fly... i went down to check it out..(sat) i was fishing for Perch and minnows (messin around like) in the harbour at the hotel. I saw a "pike" splashing at fry in the harbour... i hooked and caught a massive trout.. id say around 10 lbs.
    I have no photo but some lad caught it on his phone..
    Then two local lads came down in the evening with fly rods and were fishing the harbour with fry imatation flies.. the local boyos told me the trout were filling the harbour in the evening... ferox. Pics on their phone confirmed this phenomenon.
    Apparently this happens early may and has happend once or twice before.. the locals keep it deathly quiet (obviously!). Il share the wealth.. i was super jammy and caught a monster... give it a go!!:)

rambo87 wrote: »
    Lads, There have been some monster trout coming off Ree in the last two weeks, the cold snap i think has reduced the insect life on the water... the very few Mayfly around last week made the fish turn onto the fry. I flogged the water around Portlick and Leveret island with the fly and trolling.. not a trout or pike in sight.
    I heard of a 9 pounder caught in Hudson bay last week on the fly... i went down to check it out..(sat) i was fishing for Perch and minnows (messin around like) in the harbour at the hotel. I saw a "pike" splashing at fry in the harbour... i hooked and caught a massive trout.. id say around 10 lbs.
    I have no photo but some lad caught it on his phone..
    Then two local lads came down in the evening with fly rods and were fishing the harbour with fry imatation flies.. the local boyos told me the trout were filling the harbour in the evening... ferox. Pics on their phone confirmed this phenomenon.
    Apparently this happens early may and has happend once or twice before.. the locals keep it deathly quiet (obviously!). Il share the wealth.. i was super jammy and caught a monster... give it a go!!:)

after that post be careful them local lads dont throw you in................

I heard about this last week, a 9lb, 7lb and 6lb all caught at the bay early in the morning by well known local and his mate. I met him on the lake on Weds night and he was saying the mayfly is now up in Bally Bay and they were catching there too. Go on Tommy ya mad barsterd ya!!!!! ;)

was on the lake last night las not a fly in sigt , saw 2 sedges all evenin was up till 10pm.

not much happening yet.

was on the lake last night las not a fly in sigt , saw 2 sedges all evenin was up till 10pm.

not much happening yet.

Sound, looks like I booked my holidays right this year then, off for 2 weeks from next week! ;)

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Sound, looks like I booked my holidays right this year then, off for 2 weeks from next week! ;)

lucky you , im goin up friday for a bit to see whats goin on...

there was a few caught the last few days so its definatly starting to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭decdon

This may be a silly question, (i'm new to the game!), but what time of the day is best for the may fly hatch to catch the brownies?

decdon wrote: »
    This may be a silly question, (i'm new to the game!), but what time of the day is best for the may fly hatch to catch the brownies?

really depends upon what lough you are on and the weather conditions on the day, on average i usually find that between 2pm and 6pm are good times for the hatch.

thanks for that, lough ree is where i live near so i was refering to it. i was out last sat afternoon and there was very few mayfly hatching. better conditions now so better luck this wk.end.?

Welll.....Was out last night from 5pm till 11 pm....

Saw loadsa of spent up at Hare Isaland , very few trout cruising though....a mad kamakaze perch took my spent mayfly pattern , the fool.

Saw one good fish leap from the water , must have been around 8lbs , and saw another take a fly off the surface around 10:30

nothin much after that...

• Advertisement

Was up near Greenwood meself last night for a couple of hours from 8pm-10pm, didn't see one fish rise and didn't get 1 pull. So off I went to Cloghan this morning and got 17!!! Most on the dry with about 5 or 6 on lures. Now THATS therapy.... :D

I'm off for 2 weeks anyway L so if you wanna go out anytime give me a shout!

Was up near Greenwood meself last night for a couple of hours from 8pm-10pm, didn't see one fish rise and didn't get 1 pull. So off I went to Cloghan this morning and got 17!!! Most on the dry with about 5 or 6 on lures. Now THATS therapy.... :D

I'm off for 2 weeks anyway L so if you wanna go out anytime give me a shout!

Will do man , i m probabaly goinout monday evenin/night if you wanna come in the boat.

Monday would be perfect, what time? I'll pick ya up etc. :)

. So off I went to Cloghan this morning and got 17!!! Most on the dry with about 5 or 6 on lures. !

any good ones...........what lures?

biggest was 2 and a half pounds, some on black & green mini whisker and got 8 or 9 on a white wulf dry fly, great fun tbh. Had a big one on a booby, probably well over 3lb but got off after 10 secs, never saw it fully. :(

Monday would be perfect, what time? I'll pick ya up etc. :)

Were ya out on L.Ree y.day evening, if so how did the evening go????

not good, saw 2 fish rise all evening from 6:30pm to 10:30pm. Had about 7 perch on a lure, at least it was a few fish. Didn't seem right though, there was lots of fly and spent but nothing happening. I think there was only 1 or 2 fish caught all evening from a group of 5/6 boats. Back to Cloghan tomorrow for some therapy! :D

And Cloghan was hopping today!!! 15 fish in just over 2 hrs, 2 on the green/black lure and decided to try out the white wulf again and had a fish nearly every second cast. Spent more time landing the fish and drying the fly than casting tbh. 12 in total on that before the last one made sh1te of the fly. Chaged to a standard mayfly and had 1 more before I had to go.

Went back at around 4pm for more but the wind was pretty bad, couldn't get a good spot as there was around 7 other lads lining the 1 fishable bank. Still, perfected my backwards cast and got 3 on lures. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

You'll be getting easy going and soft on those.
    The wild browns of Ree will soon puncture your bubble again! :-)

• Advertisement

coolwings wrote: »
    You'll be getting easy going and soft on those.
    The wild browns of Ree will soon puncture your bubble again! :-)

I know only too well, swings and roundabouts. Ree is my penance, Cloghan my cheeky cheating bit on the side that gives me all that I crave, and she charges €15 a go!!!! :D:p

Advertisement