Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats it like fishing a fly from the shore on lough corrib/mask?

Options
  • 06-05-2010 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Hey all.

So im heading down to Conemara tomorrow to take part in the Conemara adventure race on Saturday. IM gonna be on my own Friday with a few hours to kill so thought i'd bring the rod down and have a punt.

Whats the fishing like for the shore on either corrib or mask? Is there any rivers around that would be better to fish instead? Is there any point? Should I try a different method even??

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

that would be tricky enough you would need to know where you are going. once heard reports of people catching salmon from the pier in oughterard, but its a bit early for grilse and at the best of times that is a very long shot. there are some places where you can fish from the shore but the problem is that the eye tends to wander to water further afield. why not get a boat?? also a lot of the shorelines tend to be reed fringed or very rocky and not really safe or suitable for wading or shore fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

yeh I thought as much. I spent 3 weeks in the Gaeltacht in Corrnamona last year and tried a bit of spinning from the shore on to Mask and Corrib but no real success.

I have seen people wading at asford castle in the river just before you get into Corrib its self, but its a tad far away from where im staying in Lennane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Mask has a lot of places to fly fish form the shore from around Tourmakeady area.

Have a look at the Lough Mask angling map on the Western Fisheries Board site.

thehamo,

If your staying in Leenane and want to do a bit of trout fishing, then I'd recommend that you try Moher Lough which is not far from Leenane on the road to Westport. It's very close to you.

It's a great little lough, full of nice trout and you can hire a boat for €5 - details on the western fisheries board website.

great stuff Snow Ghost, il deffo give it a try.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Here's the contact details for Moher Lough:

Boats and permits from: Margaret McDonnell, Liscarney, Westport, telephone: 098 21638

Her house is just before, the road down off the Leenane Road, I think it costs €5 for evening boat hire, can't recommend it highly enough, great spot overlooking Croagh Patrick and a very safe lake to take a boat out on, pleny of chance of you catching a few trout.

Just thought i'd let you know....

went down Friday, but by the time I got my self sorted it was about 8.30 so didnt think i'd be able to take a boat out, tad late.

Went down to Lough Moher to have a look though and boy was I sick. Fish were doing somersaults out of the lough. Mayfly were in abundance and I was only itching to tie one on to the line and have a go. But sure thought it would be too late to ring and get a permit etc.

Ive never seen so many rises in my life, even in a deicated stockie lake! will deffo be down again at somestage to have a punt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

shore fishing is productive... but you need to walk a lot to find some rising fish... quite rocky.. slippery in the water... need your studded boots... and even with them id slip... buzzer and murroughs and olives at the moment... here is a video to wet the appetite from Saturday just gone..if i did not know the lake & if i only had a few hours id get some guide to run me in a boat to his favourite spot...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu2HQvY2C5A

nice video.......nice trout too and still swimming ;)

nice video.......nice trout too and still swimming ;)

I thought i would show a few C&R videos this year, the fish was not in my kill size range, as i said i release all fish under 2.5 and over 4LB

the lakes are shaping up nicely for this weekend on.... there should be an explosion of fly....

:)

• Advertisement

I thought i would show a few C&R videos this year, the fish was not in my kill size range, as i said i release all fish under 2.5 and over 4LB

the lakes are shaping up nicely for this weekend on.... there should be an explosion of fly....

:)

i hope you catch plenty of trout 2Lb in weight and plenty more trout 4.5Lbs in weight...............

i hope you catch plenty of trout 2Lb in weight and plenty more trout 4.5Lbs in weight...............

LOL.. im only interested in getting a double figure trout on dry fly this year...

but yea one releases a lot more than one keeps...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭thirtypence

what pound (lb) line should i be making my leaders from when on the corrib?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

The average breaking strain is 8lb on Corrib. But you should have a range of breaking strain from 4lb to 9.9lb depending on conditions. Fishing from the shore you might have to use a heavier than normal bs as the shoreline rocks have very sharp edges to them and should you catch a decent fish they could easily cut your line against the rocks during the fight.

what pound (lb) line should i be making my leaders from when on the corrib?

are you doing dry fly or wet fly?

Dryfly: leader mono 12 feet + 4 feet fluro or 6 feet
    depending on the sunlight .. 7x or 6x

cloudy day with a little bit of wind 5x

cloudy and windy 4x -- but id never use 4x unless i was using a pattern of fly that twisted 5x on a windy day

Wetfly: leader all fluro 18 -20 feet droppers every 3 foot use about 3 or 4
    depending on the light and wind and weight of nymphs beaded or not
    5x
    4x
    3x

leader first 8 feet 3x.. first dropper whatever the light and wind conditions tells you to do ( 5x or 4x or 3x ... all the way)

Advertisement