Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 years old,too young?

Options
  • 06-05-2010 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭

Hi,
    I know this is a little off the topic of films but what age is it acceptable to bring a child to a film. Myself and my friend were going to bring her 3 year old daughter to see a film today when my friend asked would it be okay because she was only 3. It want a case of if the film would be suitable (it was U rated) but a question of would other people see us and think that she is too young to go to the cinema ..
    Any idea?

Also, does anyone remember the first film they went to see as a child?
    Mine; The Lion King,1994, I was 4 years old :]
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

As a rule I generaly wouldn't approve of bringing a kid to the cinema until they are 5 (maybe 4 and a half). Research has shown that the loudness of the cinema can be very bad for their still developing ears. In fact, some cinemas in the UK have strict policies barring 3 year olds and under from their screenings*.

*Actually, that may no longr be the case, as I recall last year some braindead people challenged them in court because barring infants from the cinema was a 'breach of human rights'. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I bring my 3 year old to the cinema :D and his better than my 5 year old.

He sat through - start to finish
    how to train a dragon
    aliens in the attic
    aliens vs monsters
    astro boy

I wouldnt try him with nanny mc phee as i dont think that will hold his attention.

I was around 10 when i first went the the cinema to watch honey i shrunk the kids.

oh and im half deaf and need hearing aids.

i think you would have been better off posting this thread in parenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Darmstrong

Yeah i should have and will, i only joined Boards yesterday and didn't see the parenting section, sorry :/

Thats a good point about hearing, i never would have thought about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I reckon if you're asking if it's too young, it's too young. I'd recommend dropping your children off to your family/neighbors and going out on the town with the wife/gf.

I'd ask please, please take your child out if he/she starts crying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

First film I saw was Supergirl while on holidays on the Isle of Man and I was 3 and had no issue sitting through the whole thing, though did demand they rewind it and play it again at the end lol, my hearing is fine BTW. I think it's a hard one to say as each kid is different and while some will sit through it fine others won't. Do remember someone bringing a very young kid to X2 opening weekend 8.30 show and it started crying half way through and the mother just sat there and let it cry. Loads of people started yelling at her to take the kid out and she just refused cus she'd paid for her ticket. I've no issue with people bringing kids to films but some common sense, avoid packed screenings and if they start acting up bring them outside.

Some cinemas have mummy and baby screenings but 3 is prob too old and it's usually more mummy focused films then kid focused.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Darmstrong wrote: »
    Also, does anyone remember the first film they went to see as a child?

Mine; The Lion King,1994, I was 4 years old :]

Had a thread in After Hours for a good while asking what people's first cinema experiences were:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055829448

Mine was Superman and I was nearly 5.

Best day of my life.

At that age the screen looked as big as the Empire State :p

I vividly remember the helcopitor crashing scene and when Lois falls.

I was gripping my seat and living every second like no other time since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

Galvasean wrote: »
    As a rule I generaly wouldn't approve of bringing a kid to the cinema until they are 5 (maybe 4 and a half). Research has shown that the loudness of the cinema can be very bad for their still developing ears. In fact, some cinemas in the UK have strict policies barring 3 year olds and under from their screenings*.

*Actually, that may no longr be the case, as I recall last year some braindead people challenged them in court because barring infants from the cinema was a 'breach of human rights'. :rolleyes:

The Odeon in Belfast actually has a parent and baby screening of movies during the day, although it is geared towards new mothers who want to get out during the day while the other half is in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It depends on the child, some kids can and will sit snuggled up beside thier parent and what a whole movie. Other's won't sit still, or will get freaked out, when in thier day also makes a difference, aim for a time when they are not going to be cranky due to being tired, or hungry or a time when usually they get to be out running around.

I would suggest seeing if they wil sit with you at home to watch a movie and then try and take them but be prepared to leave if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

It does depend on the child. I brought my 6 year old sister to Princess and the Frog and she loved it, but my 3 year old sister said she didn't wanted to go because she'd be scared of the cinema (she said this to me), but that she'd be up for the next Shrek film when that's out. I'm sure there are 3 year old kids that love the cinema, you can probably tell if the kid gets scared easily by watching films at home? I know you don't get the same sensory experience as in the cinema but it's certainly an indication.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Bring him. (or her)
    Never too young for the flicks though I'd suggest bringing him to the child friendly morning shows and matinees. Kids talk and ask questions during movies and in a matinee they up the volume to compensate for this and no one can give out to you for having to have a 3 min conversation with the kid to explain something that's happening on the screen. Also they dont turn the lights all the way down in these showings.

Good luck! :D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

The level of public awareness of the noise-induced hearing loss never ceases to amaze me. Talk to any audiologist, I'd imagine they'll recommend not bringing a child that young to a cinema.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/3334793/Deafening-new-films-threaten-hearing-of-young-cinema-goers.html

Whatever about adults, but kids at critical stages of speach and language development?
    I know I wouldn't risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I have had my 3 year olds hearing tested as part of his asd assessment. Turns out I'm the one with an hearing problem and am waiting for 2 hearing aids. I haven't yet hit 30.

fitz wrote: »
    The level of public awareness of the noise-induced hearing loss never ceases to amaze me. Talk to any audiologist, I'd imagine they'll recommend not bringing a child that young to a cinema.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/3334793/Deafening-new-films-threaten-hearing-of-young-cinema-goers.html

Whatever about adults, but kids at critical stages of speach and language development?
    I know I wouldn't risk it.

And yet, based on some of the replies in this thread, people simply do not want to know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I think it depends on the child.
    HOWEVER - the moment your kid starts screaming or being in any way noisy, leave the auditorium. There is nothing more infuriating than paying a tenner to see a movie (aimed at adults!) only to have it ruined by someone who brought their child along and thinks it's ok for the child to be noisy.

Rant over :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I have had my 3 year olds hearing tested as part of his asd assessment. Turns out I'm the one with an hearing problem and am waiting for 2 hearing aids. I haven't yet hit 30.

Well that's excellent, that his hearing is fine now ... however, now that you've been made aware that damage could potentially be caused to his hearing, will you still continue to bring him to the cinema while he's this age? Not judging or anything! Just curious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Yea cinemas, earphones, rock gigs (Or any gigs for that matter), stock car racing, f1, air shows...all bad for your ears no point in going to any of them. And while your at it, you know looking at computer screens and tv is really bad for your eyes, don't read that book in too dim a light or your ****ed!
    So just go sit over there in the corner, humming (quietly) with your perfect hearing and eyesight! :rolleyes:

Skinfull wrote: »
    Yea cinemas, earphones, rock gigs (Or any gigs for that matter), stock car racing, f1, air shows...all bad for your ears no point in going to any of them. And while your at it, you know looking at computer screens and tv is really bad for your eyes, don't read that book in too dim a light or your ****ed!
    So just go sit over there in the corner, humming (quietly) with your perfect hearing and eyesight! :rolleyes:

BIG difference between an informed adult going to these things and bringing a small child to them (which is what the topic is about).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

Skinfull wrote: »

I'm a musician, so my hearing is very important to me. I've got molded earplugs to protect my hearing, and always wear them in loud pubs, at gigs, etc. There's a big difference between avoiding sources of noise and protecting yourself from them. I'm always delighted to see kids at festivals whose parents have gotten ear protectors for them. I honestly think it's one of the largest public health education gaps there is. People don't know enough about how to protect their hearing, or even why they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mrgardener

Galvasean wrote: »
    BIG difference between an informed adult going to these things and bringing a small child to them (which is what the topic is about).

Oh for gods sake, get off your high horse!
    I am one of these bad parents who brings his 4yr old kid to the cinema.
    He loves it and I love bringing him. If we listened to everyone raving on about whats the latest threat to our childrens wellbeing, we'd wrap them up in cotton wool and feed them organic grass forever.
    I'm not suggesting you send them bungy jumping at age three, just use good parenting common sense - and enjoy the movie!
    Incidentally, he also has a chocolate bar in the cinema....oh dear!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

what you using to keep a three year old quiet for an hour and half? That must be a big chocolate bar :). my kids would wreck the place.

• Advertisement

Oh, I forget to mention, i tie them to the seat so they cant move!:D
    Seroiusly though, if your kid enjoys the cinema, and if you can afford it (it is bloody expensive) bring them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

At the moment Sat night is movie night, microwave popcorn and a dvd, they love it, when the twins get bored, or the popcorn runs out, which ever is first, they go back to the playroom leaving my five year old to enjoy the film.

mrgardener wrote: »
    Oh for gods sake, get off your high horse!
    I am one of these bad parents who brings his 4yr old kid to the cinema.
    He loves it and I love bringing him. If we listened to everyone raving on about whats the latest threat to our childrens wellbeing, we'd wrap them up in cotton wool and feed them organic grass forever.
    I'm not suggesting you send them bungy jumping at age three, just use good parenting common sense - and enjoy the movie!
    Incidentally, he also has a chocolate bar in the cinema....oh dear!:rolleyes:

I've been going to the cinema since I was 3 and while my hearing is fine I do believe that it can have a negative effect on a childs hearing. Imagine taking a 3 year old to see Transformers, the sound mix in the film is superb but the only thing a child of that age will notice is just how loud the explosions are, of which there are many. No one is suggesting that kids never go to the cinema, what people are suggesting is that a little caution be applied.

Repeated exposure to loud noises be that through headphones, gigs, cinema, whatever, will in the long run have an effect. Taking a child to the cinema every now and again should have no lasting effect on their hearing but if it is a regualr occurence then the chances of lasting damage are much higher.

One of my youngest brothers has hearing problems and while it has nothing to do with him going to the cinema at an early age it is one of the most heart breaking things to see. Would you really play with your childs hearing and future just because you enjoy taking him to the cinema?

Would you really play with your childs hearing and future just because you enjoy taking him to the cinema?

Sorry about your younger brother.
    I bring my son (he's 5 now) to the cinema because he loves it. We don't go to Transformers or anything like that. The last film we seen was "train you dragon". He loved it! We have gone to the cinema approx 4 times and will continue to go when suitable movies are on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 aleybert

What next?
    If your kid likes going to the movies - bring 'em!

aleybert wrote: »
    What next?
    If your kid likes going to the movies - bring 'em!

Children also enjoy twisting the caps off of bleach and medicine bottles, should we leave them to it as they do seem to like it.

I love the knee jerk reactions going on here. Whenever this topic pops up I (and others) point out that there is potentially a risk of taking very young children to the cinema the inevitable 'high horse' and 'oh I must be a bad parent' (like that's some sort of a valid argument) lines roll out.
    We're not doing it to wreck your buzz you know.
    My nephew really wanted to see Ice Age 3 (the one with the dinosaurs in it) in the cinema. He was only 2 and a half so we decided not to bring him just to be on the safe side. Waited for the DVD to come out a few months later. No problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 aleybert

Children also enjoy twisting the caps off of bleach and medicine bottles, should we leave them to it as they do seem to like it.

Sweet Jesus, i give up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm interested in your side of the debate Darko, but there really isn't any need for such sarcasm and unhelpful posts. Same goes for aleybert!

As for me, I'm not fully aware of the health implications of bringing children to the cinema, so couldn't fully weigh in. I do think that kid's should be introduced to the cinema at a relatively early age, but not at a point that it might be damaging. I'm sure bringing children to 'less loud' films - i.e. ones with less explosions! - would be a nice way to introduce them. Disney films in particular would surely be a nice introduction to the cinema.

One issue I do have though - younger kids definitely can interrupt the viewing of other patrons. Such things are to be expected at, say, the matinee of an animated film, but parents who allow their children to run amuck in non-child friendly screenings should really try and get the kids to calm down, or take them outside. That's why I totally approve of parent and child screenings, like the ones in the IFI or my local arts centre (Mermaid in Bray).

• Advertisement

I'm interested in your side of the debate Darko, but there really isn't any need for such sarcasm and unhelpful posts. Same goes for aleybert!

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, I've just got a little tired of the constant knee jerk reactions to issues such as this with people seeming to think that if kids enjoy something the parents should indulge them. I know the comparison is a little drastic but at the end of the day repeated exposure to cinema, gigs, etc at an early age can seriously affect a child in latter years. It's not simply a case of me being a joy kill.

I've always thought that the people who say "oh take them if they enjoy it" would be the kind of people who would sue the cinema chain if they discovered that the cinema was the cause of their child's hearing issues.

Advertisement