Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 years old,too young?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mrgardener

The point I was making was that the content of much adult films such as Kick Ass really is not appropriate for children.

No-one is going to argue that point. The point that other posters made suggesting that you are not being a responsible parent by bringing your kids to the cinema, however, is laughable (and slightly worrying...)

mrgardener wrote: »
    No-one is going to argue that point. The point that other posters made suggesting that you are not being a responsible parent by bringing your kids to the cinema, however, is laughable (and slightly worrying...)

Actually if you read the thread you would see that I am one of those people and we are not suggesting that children be kept away from the cinema, we are merely saying that repeated exposure to an enviroment as loud as the cinema can have negative effects on a child. Taking a young child every now and again is fine. I also feel that not child under 2 should be admitted to any screening, it's unfair on the child as it is unfair on the audience of the child begins crying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

There are a few cinemas who do special screenings with low volume so that you can take along babies.

Swords, Dundrum and Lighthouse have had a few.

Here's the blurb from Lighthouse on the screenings:
    BABES IN ARMS

Babes in Arms, our fortnightly baby-friendly sessions for film-loving parents and guardians with babies of about a year or under, continues next Wednesday, May 19th with a screening of I Am Love at 11.00am. Baby-friendly means that lights will be a little higher and sound a little lower than usual, and you'll be able to watch a film in peace, knowing that if your little ones cry, well no one will mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Those screenings seem weird. Why put yourself through trying to focusing on a film screening with dozens of potentially screaming infants? Surely you'd be better off finding someone to mind your child for a few hours and then going to see the film normally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Galvasean wrote: »
    Those screenings seem weird. Why put yourself through trying to focusing on a film screening with dozens of potentially screaming infants? Surely you'd be better off finding someone to mind your child for a few hours and then going to see the film normally?

Wimminz like that type of thing I guess.

I just bought myself a Tiny Tears doll on Ebay and so I'll be popping along to the next one.

I'll post back and let you know how I get on .. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Some people just don't have that option with family all living down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Some people just don't have that option with family all living down the country.

If that was the case then how would they ever get out for a night?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    If that was the case then how would they ever get out for a night?

I'm sure plenty of parents don't get to go on nights out all that regularly.

I genuinely welcome the idea of parent and child screenings. I'm not a parent (and hopefully will stay that while for a good few years yet!) but I'd imagine child care is not only hard to come by, but extremely expensive. The screenings would give parents the opportunity to do something they enjoy in the afternoon without said costs, without having to worry about disrupting others, and give them and the kids a chance to see films they mightn't have an opportunity to either, afternoon showings likely being far more suitable for most parents of young children. They know what they are getting themselves in for, but probably as good as a lot of them can hope for.

Obviously anyone without a child should stay well away though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Can't speak for the Irish ones but have seen ones in the states and the UK that had a coffee morning type deal in the cinema, new mums and dads get to meet up and chat with other new parents, babies get to interact and they get out of the house for a few hours. Coffee/tea/snack were included in the cinema ticket. Screenings are usually always mid week and mid morning which suits the cinema as they wouldn't have alot of people in then anyway. Wouldn't see it as much different to meeting other mums and dads at a park, pool, or play group.

Advertisement