Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resize content to fit Iframe

Options
  • 06-05-2010 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭

I've been looking for a way to do this but all i've found is ways to resize the Iframe to fit the source content. I want to do it the other way around.

I think the only way i can do it is (having control of the content in the Iframe) is to make another copy of the content that is sized to fit the iframe.

Any ideas would be helpful, also if you think it cant be done, please tell me you thinks so also.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Why are you using iframes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

What kind of content ?

If it's standard HTML content - paragraphs or floated divs - it should do it automatically.

As Placebo said, though, iframes should only be used for specific purposes, as they'll potentially hammer your SEO or cause problems for navigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

You can not resize/alter iFrame content from an external source. IE: If the page/s you are displaying in your iFrame are on a different server you have no control over them.

If the pages are on the same server then you can use css to size the divs etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Scotty # wrote: »
    You can not resize/alter iFrame content from an external source. IE: If the page/s you are displaying in your iFrame are on a different server you have no control over them.

If the pages are on the same server then you can use css to size the divs etc.

Actually, if the pages are on the same domain you can do it.

The other option would be to create a localised proxy script so that the page appears to come from the same server, but that's a whole other ballgame and you need a decent amount of security to ensure that it's not abused (some hosts even disable a remote URL read from a script).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Well, Its probably a bad idea to use them for what I was planning and have decided to go another route.

I was going to use them in my web design portfolio but it looks terrible whatever way I do it.

Whats the effect of the Iframes on SEO and Navigation for interests sake?

• Advertisement
Advertisement