Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glitch in boards, threads disappearing in the Soccer forum

Options
  • 06-05-2010 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭

So, a thread I created earlier today got deleted. It had 7 replies last I checked, and then up and disappeared. I didn't even see a PM. Surely there must be a glitch in the system to explain this occurrance?

A moderator surely wouldn't go and delete a thread, and not at least warn the creator of the thread, or ask them not to post it again?

We certainly don't encourage nods and winks on this board as to what certain people can get away with, and others can't, do we? After all, the Liverpool Supporters club forum is doing roaring trade.

Anyway, the thread text was as follows, I will restore if that's ok, as there is nothing in the charter of the forum (soccer) against it.

Title:
    So now that they're not a laughing stock

Text:
    Should the Spurs forum not be integrated back into the main forum? (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=837)

After all, it seemed to be fear of being bullied by fans of the "big 4" that sent them away in the first place, to live in their own little dreamland.

And now that the dreamland has a small root in reality, surely they can play in here with everyone else, and tone down their language against players of other teams.

On another note, now that Liverpool are a mediocre mid table side, do they get their own forum? Or do they have to be relegation threatened before that happens?

Could Mr. Alan and bayviewclose be given their own forum to save the rest of the posters from hearing about a "crazy" season, in which Liverpool have been sh*te.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Did you pm the mods of the forum and ask if it was deleted and if so why?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I can see why that thread was deleted, as it is a pointless, been done a million times, thread, as I guess you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It was deleted by a moderator (not me), and they are under no obligation to PM you to explain the decision. Whether they actually do or not is up to the individual.

As for the thread itself, it's got nothing to do with soccer, moreso the site itself and it was correctly locked/deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

astrofool don't play the fool ;)

We both knew what would happen as they don't want it discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Did you pm the mods of the forum and ask if it was deleted and if so why?

I don't think the mods of the soccer forum know why. They certainly have never given any indication of why threads/posts go missing when the subject has come up before. This is despite requests for the exact same thing for other clubs falling on deaf ears.

So no, I don't believe that the mods of the soccer forum are highly placed enough in the boards hierarchy to have a clue why they might have deleted the thread, hence the thread on here.

Can the decision be explained? Specifically about the double standards, and why one set of supporters can flagrantly break the rules with regards posting, and other supporters can't.

Of course, hoping that this isn't just a love in between some administrators.

As my thread said, the reason for them being seperated away (being a club in crisis) has disappeared, and another team (Liverpool) has taken that mantle, so surely they should be reintegrated, and Liverpool given their own forum instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

astrofool wrote: »
    Of course, hoping that this isn't just a love in between some administrators.

What exactly do you mean by this?

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    What exactly do you mean by this?

Hoping that a section of boards members who support a certain team are being allowed to post in their own forum, and post comments which would see them banned in the main soccer forum, because a certain member of boards is friends with another member of boards (who happens to be an admin).

Is that clear enough? I'd google the meaning, but the results mightn't be pretty :pac:

Hoping that a section of boards members who support a certain team are being allowed to post in their own forum, and post comments which would see them banned in the main soccer forum, because a certain member of boards is friends with another member of boards (who happens to be an admin).

Is that clear enough? I'd google the meaning, but the results mightn't be pretty :pac:

I presume you have done the research before firing this accusation and of course have examples to illustrate the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Why DO Spurs have their own forum, outside of soccer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Seriously there have been multiple threads at this stage about this topic

Spurs have their own forum, it exists, the poilcy is that no more club forums will be created

Get over it

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I presume you have done the research before firing this accusation and of course have examples to illustrate the point?

While of course spending hours getting individual posts together can be done, a simple search of the Spurs forum for "scum" leads to mountains of results.

While of course spending hours getting individual posts together can be done, a simple search of the Spurs forum for "scum" leads to mountains of results.

In that case why wasn't your issue directed towards the moderators of the subforum where those rules are in place as opposed to giving us another pain in the arse to deal with when it isn't our problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,357 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

the glitch in the matrix

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I assume the OP of the created topic was PMd to notify them that it was removed?

Also, is it practice now to remove threads we don't want open? Iv always kinda assumed spam/abusive topics/posts were deleted, otherwise locked?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Spurs have their own forum, it exists, the poilcy is that no more club forums will be created
    What was the reason behind this? If you dont mind linking it; normally I glaze over soccer issues.

edit: found it. Will read.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    In that case why wasn't your issue directed towards the moderators of the subforum where those rules are in place as opposed to giving us another pain in the arse to deal with when it isn't our problem?

I think you're losing your train of thought. You asked me for examples, I supplied them to show how the forum was being used to get around rules present in the main soccer forum.

I think you're losing your train of thought. You asked me for examples, I supplied them to show how the forum was being used to get around rules present in the main soccer forum.
    You didnt supply any example, you said "just fcuking google it" basically.

Okay Xavi, heres One,
    larry1 wrote: »
    Result: Blackburn 2-Scum 1 :D
    Scum being Arsenal?

Thats kind of like saying how virtually all of the posts in Lolocaust [nein 11] would get you banned from Christianity; After Hours; and The Ladies Lounge and Parenting.

I love sections 3 and 4 of the charter (esp the time gap between them)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054981969

mike65 wrote: »
    I love sections 3 and 4 of the charter (esp the time gap between them)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054981969
    I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

As an Arsenal ran I find huge offence in that forum.

My solution.

I don't go into it. Let the scum have their forum for all I care.

• Advertisement

Hang on your bitching that a hosted forum which is not part of the sports cat and not a sub forum of the soccer forum has different rules from the soccer forum?

Dude it's a hosted forum for Spurs fans, it's not part of the soccer mods remit, the rules there are different.
    If posters are posting there and then linking back or quoting content which is then 'published' on the soccer forum breaking the rules, then it's something the mods should look at, but other then that, good luck.
    IF you want one for your own special little team then ask, or make a socail group.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Get over it
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    IF you want one for your own special little team then ask, or make a socail group.

Erm...I believe the refusal to allow any other club have a hosted forum is part of the problem.
    None or all surely?

The exsistence of any forum hosted or other wise has never been premise or reason enough to have any other forum created.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ludo wrote: »
    Erm...I believe the refusal to allow any other club have a hosted forum is part of the problem.
    None or all surely?

I posted this in the thread that Overheal linked to above:
    The Spurs forum is a hosted forum that was created back in 2006. It is specifically the Spurs Supporters Club forum, as opposed to the Spurs forum, and it was intended that it would be used mainly for supporters club activities such as tickets and travel arrangements. Despite assurances to the contrary, inevitably it ended up being a forum for everything Spurs related, to the detriment of the main soccer forum imo. The Spurs superthread in the main soccer forum hasn't had a post in over 2 months, and if individual forums for other teams were created this would further take from the main forum. Should there ever be a complete reorganisation of the soccer forum in the future it is possible that separate club forums may be considered, but under the current structure it's not going to happen.

Since I posted that there have been posts in the Spurs thread. There have been a total of 36 posts there since the start of the year.

Zaph wrote: »
    Since I posted that there have been posts in the Spurs thread. There have been a total of 36 posts there since the start of the year.
    So you would advocate re-assimilating the Spurs Supporters Club Forum?

The only other thing you can do is restructure the SSCF and have a CMod or Admin etc. Clamp down on that sort of thing.

Logic would suggest that would be logical but sometimes logic isn't the answer.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Overheal wrote: »
    So you would advocate re-assimilating the Spurs Supporters Club Forum?

Well it's not quite as straightforward as that. I do think that for the greater good of the soccer forum it might be better to close the Spurs forum and let the Spurs fans use the superthread like all other fans do. But the question then is whether it's right to penalise one set of fans who have had their own forum just to stop a load of other fans complaining about this fact? To me, the problem arose when the forum was created, this was a wrong decision and the future implications weren't clearly thought out. I should stress that these are my own opinions, not the collective opinions of the admins as this isn't something that I've discussed with them.
    The only other thing you can do is restructure the SSCF and have a CMod or Admin etc. Clamp down on that sort of thing.

That's never going to happen. One of the primary arguments against club-specific forums is that it would be impossible to get impartial mods for them. For example, I support Leeds, why would I want to spend my time modding a Spurs forum? And I don't mean any disrespect to Spurs fans with that comment, it goes for all club forums that aren't Leeds. The same goes for any of the soccer mods, and we can't really justify assigning a CMod or admin just to one specific hosted forum.

You didnt supply any example, you said "just fcuking google it" basically.

Xavi came back implying that I needed the minutae of examples from the forum, when, as you say, just fcuking googling it (or using forum search) is far quicker.

I'm not a fan of every club getting it's own forum, it has been to the detriment of the main board that Spurs got their own, without justification, and with that, are allowed to ban fans of another team, just for being a fan of another team.

Now, boards.ie is a private entity, and it can do what it wants. BUT, it's a really really crappy way to treat members by allowing one set of fans something, and not allowing the others.

There's no reason why Spurs fans couldn't use the Soccer Tickets and Travel forum for what the Spurs forum was originally set up to do, and then reintegrate the forum.

They could also set up a group.
    The exsistence(sic) of any forum hosted or other wise has never been premise or reason enough to have any other forum created.

No it's not, but it is being an as*hat to arbitrarily give one group something, and not another. I don't think the as*hat themselves could argue that one.

Oh, and it's also being an as*hat to delete a thread, have a thread on it posted here, and still not at least have the good will to give a proper reason for it's deletion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I've never understood why there was a separate Spurs forum!! It's just bizarre! It doesn't make sense.

The allegations that it only came into existense because of friends 'in power' on Boards really needs to be looked at.

I was in favour at one time of having seperate forums for individual clubs, but i've since come to the conclusion that that is not right for Boards!

But why is the Spurs forum still going? Why Spurs? Why any club? There either is or there isn't a Soccer Forum?!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement