Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glitch in boards, threads disappearing in the Soccer forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i'm guessing this was the reason as stated earlier in this thread.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    As for the thread itself, it's got nothing to do with soccer, moreso the site itself and it was correctly locked/deleted.
    tips hat. . .walks away

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

monkey9 wrote:
    But why is the Spurs forum still going? Why Spurs? Why any club? There either is or there isn't a Soccer Forum?!!
    imo, the forum being made was a mistake. as is rightly being pointed out, for one club to have one, and not the others is unfair. however, its not the mistake of the majority of posters there who've built a good community and nice place for spurs fans to chill out and chat, so while i do think it was a bad idea for the forum to have been allowed in the first place-it would be massively unfair to want to take it away now after a few years. two wrongs don't make a right, and all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

astrofool wrote: »
    Oh, and it's also being an as*hat to delete a thread, have a thread on it posted here, and still not at least have the good will to give a proper reason for it's deletion.

but it's not being an as*hat to post a thread having a go at a team and a set of supporters and a position that has been argued extensively over and over again in the wrong forum for no other reason than begrudgery :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

That club forum seems to working fine from what I can see. I know a spurs fan and dont buy into this notion that the club forum was set up because of the fear of being bullied by big four supporters.
    Think most of us were delighted they got the fourth spot really. Fair play to them. Where I think you went wrong Astrofool is you went off on a completely different tangent in last two pars.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I think you're losing your train of thought. You asked me for examples, I supplied them to show how the forum was being used to get around rules present in the main soccer forum.

I'm not losing anything. Your examples are from a forum that is outside the Soccer forum yet you posted the thread in Soccer.

Why? It is a seperate entity and nothing to do with us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'm not losing anything. Your examples are from a forum that is outside the Soccer forum yet you posted the thread in Soccer.

Why? It is a seperate entity and nothing to do with us.

So a thread asking soccer fans about reintegrating the spurs forum into soccer, has nothing to do with soccer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Well, like it or not, they're two seperate communities aren't they? (although some might be members of both).

Whatever genesis the Spurs forum might have had, it's there now, and it's established, and to mess with it would be unfair to those in it. It's also Hosted, so not part of the boards family of sites in a direct sense.

Personally, I think that to create it in the first place, and not others on request, was a mistake. There are so many different clubs for example that it would be impossible to cater for them all. It's there now, and the only solution I see is to live with it.

The Soccer forum is a different beast altogether, and taking moderation there as opposed to a hosted (and fairly exclusive, it would seem) forum is something of a non starter.

We are where we are, as Biffo sez.

So a thread asking soccer fans about reintegrating the spurs forum into soccer, has nothing to do with soccer?
    If anything else, I dont think spurs fans would agree to it for one reason and one reason only.
    As you can see in TRS's charter below, it expressely forbids one set of supporters from posting there. If that forum is merged into main soccer forum, the dynamic changes immediately.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52652761&postcount=4

It has nothing to do with the Soccer forum.

The same rules don't apply, the Soccer mods have no control over it and, as I already said, it's completely seperate.

The issue is not a Soccer forum one and asking the members should they have to come back in is pointless because that is not a decision to be made by Average Joe poster.

The thred should've been in Feedback or Help Desk to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

So, in summary, the randomness of having a forum now for spurs is agreed, its just not a soccer mod problem, its up to boards big bosses to decide to do away with it. I think spurs fans would like to be back in the mainstream now their team are goin places

• Advertisement

dooferoaks wrote: »
    So, in summary, the randomness of having a forum now for spurs is agreed, its just not a soccer mod problem, its up to boards big bosses to decide to do away with it. I think spurs fans would like to be back in the mainstream now their team are goin places
    Again, if they dont want arsenal fans posting on their private forum do you think one season will bridge what seems to be a gulf between the two supporters What happens if spurs drop out of top four again. Will the ribbing start again. Maybe TheRecklessstone should give his opinion on this as he is the man behind the Spurs hosted forum

but it's not being an as*hat to post a thread having a go at a team and a set of supporters and a position that has been argued extensively over and over again in the wrong forum for no other reason than begrudgery

The correct forum was chosen, I don't believe I was wearing my ass as a hat when I was making the thread, the gist of which was now that Spurs are a successful club, that they could coexist in the main soccer forum peacefully, rather than in their own discrimination and name calling garden.
    It has nothing to do with the Soccer forum.

It has everything to do with the soccer forum and it's structure. Even if the thread was to be created here, then it should also be ok to post a thread in soccer and spurs to point the Soccer and Spurs forum members to the thread. The poll was aimed at members of the soccer forum, what idiot would not put that poll in the soccer forum?

Anyway, it sounds like all boards admins seem to agree that the Spurs forum should:
    a) not have been allowed
    b) not be used the way it is being used according to the reasons it was set up for.
    c) not be discriminating against one clubs supporters

If WhiteWashMan has been a Liverpool supporter, the main soccer forum would be a very different beast today.

The admins f*cked up, and the mods are powerless to do anything about it (bar deleting threads to stop the issue being discussed, from a site made for discussion).

They could at least tackle this by limiting the Spurs forum back to it's original intent, and thus foster growth in the main forum.

Let the disfunction and idiocy continue I guess. Some forum members are really more equal than others (as long as they support Spurs).

Again, if they dont want arsenal fans posting on their private forum do you think one season will bridge what seems to be a gulf between the two supporters What happens if spurs drop out of top four again. Will the ribbing start again. Maybe TheRecklessstone should give his opinion on this as he is the man behind the Spurs hosted forum

The forum was not created to allow posters to escape other fans. That is what it turned into, when it was explicitly not to be used this way, when set up.

It's also not a private forum.

It's a hosted forum, and the admins won't let other teams set up hosted forums along the same lines, because they don't have an admin who is a fan of the other teams.

The forum was not created to allow posters to escape other fans. That is what it turned into, when it was explicitly not to be used this way, when set up.

It's also not a private forum.

It's a hosted forum, and the admins won't let other teams set up hosted forums along the same lines, because they don't have an admin who is a fan of the other teams.
    Im at odds to know why any mod would want Spurs back into forum if there is any risk that Arsenal and Spurs fans are going to be taking digs at each other should things go pearshaped for Spurs again.
    Spurs fans clearly dont want to interact with Arsenal fans. That as much is stated in the updated charter set out by TRS.
    For spurs forum to go back into the main forum I think the laws on trolling would have to tightened.
    Arsenal fans and spurs fars if they interact on main SF will by nature have some problems with each other.
    How long before it spills over.
    And seeing you brought my name into your last OP and now that Im a bit more calmed down despite what went on here yesterday with a certain thread I can state that I have no problems with Liverpool remaining thread as it is. I wouldn't object to a club forum at same time either but can live with the status quo.
    But we pool fans unlike spurs fan do have to put up with the odd bit of tom foolery from the other side. Thats not in dispute by anyone.
    So how opposing fans behave on rival threads needs to be dealt with. And if Spurs fans are re-integrated into main SF, dont be expecting a lovefest between the Spurs and Arsenal fans
    It wont take much to set things off between the two. Clearly there was a reason for the ban on Arsenal fans posting in Spurs hosted forum. If anything Spurs being successful will increase the tensions betweent the two now.

The admins f*cked up, and the mods are powerless to do anything about it (bar deleting threads to stop the issue being discussed, from a site made for discussion).

It'd be helpful if you lost the tinfoil hat.

Your thread and poll would have served no purpose other than to cause needless hassle in the soccer forum.

It was completely pointless because you could have had a 100% vote in favour of culling the Spurs forum and still the admins could tell you where to go.

It's their site and if they made a forum then that's the way it is. This has been discussed numerous times before and the outcome is always the same.

Build a bridge.

It'd be helpful if you lost the tinfoil hat.

Your thread and poll would have served no purpose other than to cause needless hassle in the soccer forum.

It was completely pointless because you could have had a 100% vote in favour of culling the Spurs forum and still the admins could tell you where to go.

It's their site and if they made a forum then that's the way it is. This has been discussed numerous times before and the outcome is always the same.

Build a bridge.
    at the same time xavi do you think its worth discussing on our summer forum. Spurs will be a top four team next year so not having them on main SF will look a bit odd without them. At this stage would be nice to hear a contribution from one of their fans.

at the same time xavi do you think its worth discussing on our summer forum. Spurs will be a top four team next year so not having them on main SF will look a bit odd without them. At this stage would be nice to hear a contribution from one of their fans.

They can say what they like but it will make no difference. Nobody from the Soccer forum can create/disband a forum.

The topic has been done and done and done again. Flogging a dead horse at this stage so no, I don't it's worth discussing in any review because that is for issues which can be resolved within the forum. The Spurs fiasco does not fall under that banner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Anyway, it sounds like all boards admins seem to agree that the Spurs forum should:
    a) not have been allowed
    b) not be used the way it is being used according to the reasons it was set up for.
    c) not be discriminating against one clubs supporters

Just for clarity an Admin gave his opinion as a soccer forum user not as a representative of the Admins, he clearly stated it was his opinion and not that of the Admins as he hadn't discussed it with them

They may well agree with what you have posted but they haven't actually said what you are claiming they have

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I was the mod who deleted the thread,as has been stated above this is not a soccer forum issue the soccer mods have no control over it.From experience we can tell what way these types of threads are likely to go and I feel if that thread was left it would have turned into a car crash fast.

In normal circumstances I would lock the thread and post a reason why so everybody was aware,but on this occasion I considered the thread to be on the mild end of trolling so decided it was best to delete it.

What do I mean by mild trolling,lets take a look at the poll question and options for a start....
    Should the Spurs Forum be integrated into "Soccer"?

Spurs Fan: Let me hide away

Spurs Fan: I'm a big girl now, let me face the big big world

Other: Keep them away, this forum is serious business

Other: That would be delightful, I like discussing tictacs with the fans of ALL teams

This is not the kind of post/poll we encourage on the soccer forum,you also took a dig at two soccer forum posters and one group of fans.You are also giving out that you were not sent a PM about the thread been deleted,well I think you should be happy you went not sent a PM with a infraction.

I hope this explains my taught process.

Dub13

They can say what they like but it will make no difference. Nobody from the Soccer forum can create/disband a forum.

The topic has been done and done and done again. Flogging a dead horse at this stage so no, I don't it's worth discussing in any review because that is for issues which can be resolved within the forum. The Spurs fiasco does not fall under that banner.

The topic hasn't been done again and again. Any posts on the topic get deleted.

Whether the soccer forums opinion will make a difference to the admins is beside the point, the forum members should at least be able to make their opinions known.

Yes, the poll options were tongue in cheek:
    Should the Spurs Forum be integrated into "Soccer"?
    Spurs Fan: Let me hide away
    Spurs Fan: I'm a big girl now, let me face the big big world
    Other: Keep them away, this forum is serious business
    Other: That would be delightful, I like discussing tictacs with the fans of ALL teams

But in line with a lot of polls around boards and the soccer forum, and it would be good to gauge the forums reaction now that the reason for the Spurs forum existing in the first place have changed (i.e. they don't really have a reason to hide away anymore, and should be able to play nice with supporters of other clubs).

It would be great to see a real admins opinion as well I guess, do they even care? Does this even register on their radar? A lot seem to see the soccer forum as an annoyance, more than anything (this going from the general gist of replies from admins on restructuring the forum).

The Spurs forum existing also undermines any later decisions made by admins/mods on the structure of the Soccer forum.

Also, the first few replies on the thread were not of the car crash variety. It's good to see Dub13 holds the soccer forum members in such high esteem.

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote: »
    You are also giving out that you were not sent a PM about the thread been deleted,well I think you should be happy you went not sent a PM with a infraction.

At least sending an infraction would acknowledge that the issue exists, rather than being deleted every time it comes up. Would editing the poll options to yes/no answers have allowed the thread to stay? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

The topic hasn't been done again and again.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055788087

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055791601

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055491554

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055281186

took all of 2 minutes to find these alone. This doesn't include helpdesk, feedback or threads in the Soccer forum over the last two years asking for the same thing.

It has been done to death and nothing has changed in the intervening period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Are the soccer mods having a "summer review" of the boards they mod?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

mike65 wrote: »
    Are the soccer mods having a "summer review" of the boards they mod?

Yes,I would say after the world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

This thread is another fine example of normally sensible people losing the run of themselves because of this sport. To be honest, it's sometimes hard to take anything some of you soccer forum regulars take seriously, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Also, in the interest of disclosure and to avoid any later shouts of bias, I am a Tottenham Hotspur fan.

The "Spurs Forum" as you keep calling it is a Spurs Supporters Club forum and was set up, for a club, to allow people to arrange their trips over to London (or wherever for away games) and so on. They asked for it and were given it. This all happened before my time as an employee, so it's not something I had a hand in. It has become a small but core community of fans who go to games etc and it's only natural that they'd want to talk about the team and the matches etc.

As mentioned many times already in this thread, it is a Hosted forum, it it not a part of the Boards.ie "structure" so to speak - hosted forums are a service we provide to various groups. Therefore, it has absolutely nothing to do with the Soccer Forum, it's rules, it's dynamic and it's community.

There is no scope to ask that they disband or merge their forum into soccer just because Spurs are now a more successful team and to suggest so simply makes no sense.

But I'll tell you what, if the mods of Soccer and The Spurs Supporters Forum are willing to have a chat about it, I think we should when the Soccer forum guys do their end of season review. Would that be acceptable to everyone? Let's get a definitive solution and put this issue to bed because it's getting *very* old.

Dav

• Registered Users Posts: 39,566 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Dav wrote: »
    This thread is another fine example of normally sensible people losing the run of themselves because of this sport. To be honest, it's sometimes hard to take anything some of you soccer forum regulars take seriously, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Also, in the interest of disclosure and to avoid any later shouts of bias, I am a Tottenham Hotspur fan.

The "Spurs Forum" as you keep calling it is a Spurs Supporters Club forum and was set up, for a club, to allow people to arrange their trips over to London (or wherever for away games) and so on. They asked for it and were given it. This all happened before my time as an employee, so it's not something I had a hand in. It has become a small but core community of fans who go to games etc and it's only natural that they'd want to talk about the team and the matches etc.

As mentioned many times already in this thread, it is a Hosted forum, it it not a part of the Boards.ie "structure" so to speak - hosted forums are a service we provide to various groups. Therefore, it has absolutely nothing to do with the Soccer Forum, it's rules, it's dynamic and it's community.

There is no scope to ask that they disband or merge their forum into soccer just because Spurs are now a more successful team and to suggest so simply makes no sense.

But I'll tell you what, if the mods of Soccer and The Spurs Supporters Forum are willing to have a chat about it, I think we should when the Soccer forum guys do their end of season review. Would that be acceptable to everyone? Let's get a definitive solution and put this issue to bed because it's getting *very* old.

Dav

Dav, very good post there. Although I do feel that the cheap dig at the soccer forum in the opening paragraph was not needed. The SF is running very well of late and has done so for a long time now, down to sensible posting by posters and sensible modding by the mods.

The only reason the SF has popped up in Feedback/Helpdesk of late is because of one posters crusade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

A fair point Kev, it certainly wasn't intended as a pop at the Soccer Forum itself, but at the people who feel they've been so wronged by something over there and who make demands of the Admins and Mods with these sorts of drama threads - the crusades as you have so rightly put it.

You're absolutely correct - the forum is running very well, I have no beef with it whatsoever (the mods would've heard from me by now if that wasn't the case :)) so I would hope that the regulars and the mods there would accept that I wasn't making a sweeping statement about all of the forum and it's community.

Dav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There wouold be no beef with the Spurs forum in if it were only for what it was set up for, but its not. Its become the default home to the small number boards Spurs supporters (as well as those who never post here except on the Spurs board) for general club discussion. Maybe the Admins need to re-write the charter and enforce same.

Just look through the current front page of topics, all of which could sit within the Spurs Superthread on Soccer

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=837

KevIRL wrote: »

The only reason the SF has popped up in Feedback/Helpdesk of late is because of one posters crusade.

Did i post this thread KevIrl. Or the thread that Astrofool brought up in SF. Simple answer to that is no. So why are you bringing this into the converstation . It has absolutely nothing to do with OP. :(

• Advertisement

Did i post this thread KevIrl. Or the thread that Astrofool brought up in SF. Simple answer to that is no. So why are you bringing this into the converstation . It has absolutely nothing to do with OP. :(

Kev makes a very valid point though. The majority of soccer related threads I have noticed in Feedback or Help desk of late have been from you. Even though as many people have mentioned the Soccer forum is probably going through it's best patch ever at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement