Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glitch in boards, threads disappearing in the Soccer forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I just think it's crappy that one set of fans got a hosted forum, and everyone else is not allowed to. It also stymies any development of the soccer forum, as Spurs are treated differently (and are allowed to exclude posters, and post comments that would get them banned in Soccer). Mike65 also hits the nail on the head.

I am not affiliated with Spiritoftheseventies in any way. This implication makes me a sad panda.

This thread would never have existed, or come to the admins attention, if my thread had not been deleted.

Boards.ie is not a crappy website. In this instance, they are treating their members crappy. That's the extent of my "crusade".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

SOTS: Pot. Kettle. Black. You are currently attempting to derail this by making it personal - it's not. This is the only warning you'll get on this thread.

Astrofool - it's hard to take anything you're saying seriously given the tone of some of your earlier comments. Do you not understand that the hosted forum was set up a long time ago when this was a very different site? Things have changed and were they to ask for it now, they might well be turned down. However, the forum is there now and I don't see why I have any right to ask them to stop being a community here because it no longer suits some people.

As I have said, I'm perfectly willing to sit down with all the mods concerned and have a proper chat about it and figue out what we'll do around this issue and I think the end of season review is the perfect opportunity to do it. Hopefully all concerned will join in and we'll come up with a proper solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Kev makes a very valid point though. The majority of soccer related threads I have noticed in Feedback or Help desk of late have been from you. Even though as many people have mentioned the Soccer forum is probably going through it's best patch ever at the moment.
    Again this is about Astrofools call for Spurs hosted forum to be downgraded by bringing it into the mainstream of the SF. That if im right comes under forum request.
    Again I dont see what my threads have to do with this one. This a seperate query from a poster on spurs forum and spurs posters.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

astrofool wrote: »
    This thread would never have existed, or come to the admins attention, if my thread had not been deleted.

Lets imagine for a min that the thread was about something the soccer mods had control over,even then it would be locked as I pointed out it was mild trolling.

So I dont know how we are treating our members crappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,566 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Did i post this thread KevIrl. Or the thread that Astrofool brought up in SF. Simple answer to that is no. So why are you bringing this into the converstation . It has absolutely nothing to do with OP. :(

My post was about sticking up for the image of the soccer forum on here. In the past its had a very poor image. I wanted to point out that it would be unfair for a community manager of the site to continue that image considering how well the soccer forum is running and working over the last good while. Dav was man enough to accept he phrased that part of his post wrongly and clarified this in his reply.

I also felt I had to clarify that the recent spate of helpdesk and feedback threads relating to the soccer forum were as the result of one posters crusade and not a general malaise in the soccer forum, just in case anyone jumped in to say there has been a lot of threads lately.

• Advertisement

Dav wrote: »
    SOTS: Pot. Kettle. Black. You are currently attempting to derail this by making it personal - it's not.
    With All due respect Dav I dont see how my personal crusade which it isnt is relevant to Spurs forum.
    Be fair. Had my name dragged into this thread by Astrofools OP but think you will agree I debated the issue with him and even took on some of the points.

Again this is about Astrofools call for Spurs hosted forum to be downgraded by bringing it into the mainstream of the SF. That if im right comes under forum request.
    Again I dont see what my threads have to do with this one. This a seperate query from a poster on spurs forum and spurs posters.

Kev was making the simple statement to Dav that the soccer forum is doing very well apart from a few of the mentioned threads that have popped up of late while saying that these threads are raising issues that are not shared by a majority of the soccer forum. This was brought up because Kev thought that Dav was having a dig at the soccer forum which he has since stated was unintended. Simple enough?

Kev was making the simple statement to Dav that the soccer forum is doing very well apart from a few of the mentioned threads that have popped up of late while saying that these threads are raising issues that are not shared by a majority of the soccer forum. This was brought up because Kev thought that Dav was having a dig at the soccer forum which he has since stated was unintended. Simple enough?
    Yes but what is being discussed here is the spurs forum right. We were debating a thread quite nicely before KevIrl brought this up again.
    So really who derailed the thread. Is it going to happen now that anyone who brings anything up, myself, Astrofool etc are going to have the word crusade thrown at us
    Again I debated the thread on the Spurs forum and I thought after the absolute shambles that was CHD's thread yesteday we were at least getting somewhere.
    But again posters seem intent in getting the dig in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Think the best thing you can do is ignore them and not jump into threads like this one SOTS.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Think the best thing you can do is ignore them and not jump into threads like this one SOTS.
    I appreciate the sentiments but i didnt have the chance to address what were some pretty disgusting posts from CHD yesterday. Three times in this thread posters have attempted to drag me into this thread.
    Ill say it again. I did not bring it up. I addressed both sides of the argument. I am behing misrepresented in the context of this thread.
    Fair play please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I appreciate the sentiments but i didnt have the chance to address what were some pretty disgusting posts from CHD yesterday. Three times in this thread posters have attempted to drag me into this thread.
    Ill say it again. I did not bring it up. I addressed both sides of the argument. I am behing misrepresented in the context of this thread.
    Fair play please.

*Dragging this thread further off topic but anyway*

Honestly the best thing you could have done in this situation was to report the post that you had an issue with rather than replying to it

That way the post would have been dealt with or the thread closed as it had run its course

What you are doing now is reinforcing peoples perception of you, I agree that people need to let go what you have done in the past and stop dragging it up

However you can't control that, what you can do is not rise to it and not reply, let it lie, people will soon forget, if you keep replying though people will keep bringing it up as it gets a rise out of you

*Dragging this thread further off topic but anyway*

Honestly the best thing you could have done in this situation was to report the post that you had an issue with rather than replying to it

That way the post would have been dealt with or the thread closed as it had run its course

What you are doing now is reinforcing peoples perception of you, I agree that people need to let go what you have done in the past and stop dragging it up

However you can't control that, what you can do is not rise to it and not reply, let it lie, people will soon forget, if you keep replying though people will keep bringing it up as it gets a rise out of you
    Yeah appreciate the sentiments. Its a shame though. Debate was going well until one or two posters decided to bring my name into it. Just dont see how it related to the OP. But you're right shouldn't have taken the bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah appreciate the sentiments. Its a shame though. Debate was going well until one or two posters decided to bring my name into it. Just dont see how it related to the OP. But you're right shouldn't have taken the bait.

You've made your bed and now have to deal with it. Everyone is responsible for their own reputation so maybe you will think about your posts a little more in future.

You aren't a point of reference for no reason so I find it very difficult to have any sympathy when your name is brought up.

It's just a pity that you have to drag it on further and derail threads consistently, and get away with it.

mike65 wrote: »
    I love sections 3 and 4 of the charter (esp the time gap between them)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054981969
    ^....yeah the last two posts are interesting from charter.. Out of curiosity would be curious to see what happened between those two posts to see what brought about the change in policy.
    The hosted forum is well structured though and spurs fans can still contribute on match threads in main SF.
    They really have the best of both worlds and wouldn't see any reason why anyone would want to change the status quo.

ignoring bayviewclose's off topicness..
    Dub13 wrote: »
    Lets imagine for a min that the thread was about something the soccer mods had control over,even then it would be locked as I pointed out it was mild trolling.

So I dont know how we are treating our members crappy.

Can I post the same thread with less tongue in cheek-ness now? At least it lets the soccer forum members have an opinion, even if it's ignored.
    They really have the best of both worlds and wouldn't see any reason why anyone would want to change the status quo.

Yep, they do, the Spurs fans have exactly what they want, and fans of every other club are not allowed to have the same thing. Thats the stupidity of the situation.

Spurs forum members won't want to be reintegrated because they have what they want, and soccer forum members who would usually have enough people to justify getting their own hosted forum, will be denied, as it may effect the "dynamic" of the soccer forum.

The Spurs fans, quite literally, have their cake, and are eating it while calling other teams/players/fans scum at the same time.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Every other club except one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Personally if it was my decision to make I would shut down the Spurs forum and bring it back under the Soccer forum remit

A mistake was made when it was set up, (or it waq a worthwhile experiment to see if that sort of thing would work) just because the forum was created is no reason to perpetuate that mistake and leave it open

There is no reason the Spurs supporters cannot post in the soccer forum

Understandably the Spurs supporters will not be happy about this and probably wont want this, but the right decision (imo) for a site like this is not always the popular decision

I guess the Spurs fans can be happy that this site isn't my personal dictatorship

Having said that it is there and it is open so others should just accept that until some decision is made on it one way or the other

ignoring bayviewclose's off topicness..

Can I post the same thread with less tongue in cheek-ness now? At least it lets the soccer forum members have an opinion, even if it's ignored.

Yep, they do, the Spurs fans have exactly what they want, and fans of every other club are not allowed to have the same thing. Thats the stupidity of the situation.

Spurs forum members won't want to be reintegrated because they have what they want, and soccer forum members who would usually have enough people to justify getting their own hosted forum, will be denied, as it may effect the "dynamic" of the soccer forum.

The Spurs fans, quite literally, have their cake, and are eating it while calling other teams/players/fans scum at the same time.

Sorry Astrofool seeing you want to go back to this can you quote examples where spurs fans have called other fans scum in this forum.
    I dont know what the rules with what you can say on hosted forums are but given that these debates are not flagged I think they are given some lattitude.
    But TLC is a former mod so he is not going to host a forum where posters can say whatever they want.
    I trust the guy to mod his own forum properly and if there was constant namecalling by fans we would know about it.
    The forum is out of sight out of mind and if this so called problematic posting that you speak of goes mainstream it will make for bigger problems.
    I think for that one reason alone, club forums work because its very much out of sight out of mind so only the dedicated posters would post there
    Arsenal fans are less likely to go to the bother of posting on a hosted forum than on a spurs page in SF simple because its too much hassle.
    Threads which are not "flagged" are less likely to be picked up by a poster and as such they tend to be quieter.
    For this reason I think it is a good reason to keep things as they are. We can interact with the spurs fans on match days and they are a good bunch from the dealings i have had with them. TLC for all our arguments on here is a dedicated fan while everdead.ie is undquestionably one of the best posters we have on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

But its nothing got to do with the soccer forum or the soccer mods.

I'm sure there is nobody in the soccer forum that would have a problem with the Spurs forum being shut down. It would have no effect on soccer forum members.

I don't even see why the soccer mods would be involved in any discussion regarding shutting it down. The soccer forum is open to all members willing to follow the rules. Everybody in the Spurs forum could join the soccer forum and post away without a problem. (assuming there are no perma banned members in there)

The discussion should only really be between three people.

1) Admins - Their site, their rules, their decision to open the forum, their decision to close it.

2) Spurs Supporter Mods - As they are currently running the forum they should get a chance to put forward the case of keeping it open if that is what the want.

3) Current Spurs Posters - As they are currently part of the forum / community they should be allowed put forward the case for keeping it open if that is what the wish.

Even after that the Admins can still decide to stop hosting the forum if they so wish. However I don't think they would take great enjoyment in shutting down a community that has grown here. Maybe some stricter rules regarding what can and can't be discussed in it would make more sense. i.e if it was only used for tickets, travel, accommodation, meet ups then it makes a good case for staying.*

*This may need the appointment of an "outside" mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

There wouold be no beef with the Spurs forum in if it were only for what it was set up for, but its not.

Yep, they do, the Spurs fans have exactly what they want, and fans of every other club are not allowed to have the same thing.

just quoting those bits there, in essence its that one set of supporters have their own forum, you dont, so its boo hoo.

ye sound about 7 years old, they have so I want.

Can i ask what harm is it doing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its distorting the status quo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Its distorting the status quo

How?

event wrote: »
    just quoting those bits there, in essence its that one set of supporters have their own forum, you dont, so its boo hoo.

Well, I just wanted to post a thread, and see what the soccer forum members thought of allowing one set of supporters to have their own forum. I don't want a forum for the club I support.
    ye sound about 7 years old, they have so I want.

That's funny, I thought the "boo hoo" bit was an extremely childish reply. I guess it takes one to know one eh?
    Can i ask what harm is it doing?

It makes every denial of a request for a specific club forum make the mods/admins look foolish because such a forum already exists.

Frisbee wrote: »
    How?

Well, say we had two forums. One for, say, cars, and another forum for BMW owners.

On the main forum, people aren't allowed to say BMW, or any car owners have broken indicators, and think they own the road.

But on the BMW forum, they can say that all other road users are idiots, and that BMW owners are the best. They also ban any owners of other cars from the forum.

Mercedes, Audi and VW are all denied their own forum, why? because, that's why.

Do you see why that might cause a problem for members of cars?

Imagine we made a Nintendo forum, but denied a Sony or Microsoft forum.

Imagine we made an American sports forum and a basketball forum, and told the baseball and football fans to f*ck off.

Do you see how now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Parity of esteem if you will.

Well, I just wanted to post a thread, and see what the soccer forum members thought of allowing one set of supporters to have their own forum. I don't want a forum for the club I support.

That's funny, I thought the "boo hoo" bit was an extremely childish reply. I guess it takes one to know one eh?

It makes every denial of a request for a specific club forum make the mods/admins look foolish because such a forum already exists.
    Astrofool to be fair you didnt make a very strong case for club forum in your OP. The last par seems to be an attempt to lock posters like myself and Mr Alan away so other posters wouldn't have to hear about the crazy season syndrom as you put it. Immediately you are on the backfoot when you start off putting forward stuff like that.
    That you used it not once but twice on two threads also sends off alarm bells.
    I do subscribe to Mike's theory though thats whats good for the goose should be for the gander ie if its good for one club to have a forum than the others should by the same logic also have it.
    I would agree with Dav on that one point that the sooner everyone gets it sorted the better.

Parity of esteem if you will.

The Spurs forum has been around so long that it is part of the status quo, sure if it was just made it would be upsetting the status quo, but it's been a fixture of boards for years now.

If you were complaining about a club specific board being set up next wee.k I'd be 100% on your side.

Frisbee wrote: »
    The Spurs forum has been around so long that it is part of the status quo, sure if it was just made it would be upsetting the status quo, but it's been a fixture of boards for years now.

If you were complaining about a club specific board being set up next wee.k I'd be 100% on your side.
    Frisbee while you are here do you agree with the restrictions put in place on that forum barring an Arsenal fan like yourself from posting on it.
    Was it an extreme measure in your opinon or a reaction to how Arsenal fans behaved on that forum?

Frisbee while you are here do you agree with the restrictions put in place on that forum barring an Arsenal fan like yourself from posting on it.
    Was it an extreme measure in your opinon or a reaction to how Arsenal fans behaved on that forum?

I've never noticed that before, and I've posted in the Spurs Forum a few times without being banned. If I had have seen that in the Charter I wouldn't have posted but I'd say I have about 10 posts in the Spurs forum and none of them resulted in a ban.

Now if an Arsenal fan went in there to wind people up after Arsenal beat Spurs in a game I could understand that resulting in a ban as it would be blatant trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Astrofool: What part of my definition of a Hosted Forum has caused you confusion? What part of "it has absolutely nothing to do with the Soccer Forum" is unclear? You are trying to draw comparisons between 2 completely seperate areas of the site and I have already clarified why this is not appropriate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement