Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glitch in boards, threads disappearing in the Soccer forum

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Frisbee wrote: »
    I've never noticed that before, and I've posted in the Spurs Forum a few times without being banned. If I had have seen that in the Charter I wouldn't have posted but I'd say I have about 10 posts in the Spurs forum and none of them resulted in a ban.

Now if an Arsenal fan went in there to wind people up after Arsenal beat Spurs in a game I could understand that resulting in a ban as it would be blatant trolling.
    Well from TRC's charter post it says no Arsenal fans allowed to post. Have those rules been relaxed since.
    If thats the case maybe things have improved between the two sets of supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'd look at it this way.

If an Arsenal fan was coming into a Spurs forum to wind up Spurs fans, slag them about finishing below Arsenal in the league (as has happened for the last number of years) or brag about a recent Arsenal victory over Spurs then I'd be of the opinion that they are deliberately trolling and deserve a ban.

Some of my posts in the Spurs forum have been too:

- Compliment their resilience to score two goals in the last few minutes to draw 4-4 with us last year.
    - Extend commiserations over Palacios' brother.
    - Ditto with Defoe's.

Fair enough if the charter is ambiguous in that regard. But it's a hosted forum, it's got nothing to do with boards so they can be as to the letter or relaxed with their charter as they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Dav wrote: »
    Astrofool: What part of my definition of a Hosted Forum has caused you confusion? What part of "it has absolutely nothing to do with the Soccer Forum" is unclear? You are trying to draw comparisons between 2 completely seperate areas of the site and I have already clarified why this is not appropriate.

Can the Liverpool supporters get their own hosted forum then? What are the criteria needed for them to get one?

(btw sots, I think the soccer forum would be less funny without you, and don't think yourself and Mr. Alan should be sent away together, on boards at least. Maybe a 2 week cruise :)).
    If an Arsenal fan was coming into a Spurs forum to wind up Spurs fans, slag them about finishing below Arsenal in the league (as has happened for the last number of years) or brag about a recent Arsenal victory over Spurs then I'd be of the opinion that they are deliberately trolling and deserve a ban.

You would also be banned on the soccer forum for this. However, even if you post nicely in the Spurs forum, they can ban you, just for being an Arsenal fan.

astrofool wrote: »

(btw sots, I think the soccer forum would be less funny without you, and don't think yourself and Mr. Alan should be sent away together, on boards at least. Maybe a 2 week cruise :)).
    Im spoking for as Xavi6 will tell you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Can the Liverpool supporters get their own hosted forum then? What are the criteria needed for them to get one?

As has been said too many times over the years, existing forums aren't a basis or an explanation of why something else should get a similair hosted forum.

You would also be banned on the soccer forum for this. However, even if you post nicely in the Spurs forum, they can ban you, just for being an Arsenal fan.

Again, that's entirely up to them. It's a hosted forum and not a part of boards per say, if they wanted to write it into their charter that anyone who has a post with the phrase "done to death" in it can be banned then they can fire away and do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Who is TRC?

Sorry should be TRS. Confusing it with something else. Might catch on all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

As has been said too many times over the years, existing forums aren't a basis or an explanation of why something else should get a similair hosted forum.

No it's not, their site, their rules. Again, it's just crappy for anyone who doesn't have a supporter on the admin team :)

Dav: can other clubs get their own hosted forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Im spoking for as Xavi6 will tell you ;)

:confused:

gary_coleman1_1.jpg

Xavi6 wrote: »
    :confused:

gary_coleman1_1.jpg
    That compatablity match thing boards did on Aprils Fools day. You were top of my list. I jest not ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

And who is Therecklesstone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Dav wrote: »
    The "Spurs Forum" as you keep calling it is a Spurs Supporters Club forum and was set up, for a club, to allow people to arrange their trips over to London (or wherever for away games) and so on. They asked for it and were given it. This all happened before my time as an employee, so it's not something I had a hand in. It has become a small but core community of fans who go to games etc and it's only natural that they'd want to talk about the team and the matches etc.

As mentioned many times already in this thread, it is a Hosted forum, it it not a part of the Boards.ie "structure" so to speak - hosted forums are a service we provide to various groups. Therefore, it has absolutely nothing to do with the Soccer Forum, it's rules, it's dynamic and it's community.
    So if there was a small core of Liverpool fans for example, who go to games and want to discuss those games, does that mean someone could request a hosted Liverpool Supporters Forum?

Des wrote: »
    And who is Therecklesstone?
    TRS for short. Was wondering why he was always getting so annoyed about it. You think he would chose something boring like .. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

TRS for short. Was wondering why he was always getting so annoyed about it. You think he would chose something boring like .. :rolleyes:
    I always thought it was the TheRecklessOne and TRO is his nick name?

We are talking about the same person here right?

Or are you refering to the TheRecklesstone, TRO created last week to prove you wrong SOTS?

Chong wrote: »
    I always thought it was the TheRecklessOne and TRO is his nick name?

We are talking about the same person here right?

Or are you refering to the TheRecklesstone, TRO created last week to prove you wrong SOTS?
    TRO. Now thats easy to remember and it rhymes with another word I just cant think of a the moment ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

astrofool wrote:
    Well, I just wanted to post a thread, and see what the soccer forum members thought of allowing one set of supporters to have their own forum. I don't want a forum for the club I support.

fair enough.
    you can see now you may as well have posted it in bargain alerts though, as it has nothing got to do with the SF
    astrofool wrote:
    That's funny, I thought the "boo hoo" bit was an extremely childish reply. I guess it takes one to know one eh?

amazing
    astrofool wrote:
    It makes every denial of a request for a specific club forum make the mods/admins look foolish because such a forum already exists.

and Dav answered you here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65768420&postcount=56

What resolution do you want from this now?
    Do you want specific club forums to be allowed or the spurs one disbanded?

or something else

Again as Dav said its a matter between the posters from that forum and soccers mods to sort out if that is what they want to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

basically - the admins had a bit of a jerking session a good few years ago and whitewashman was given his own spurs forum. did they not think that the site and the soccer forum would grow or something? did they have no foresight?

now, as it stands, spurs fans are given special privilieges on this site due to some mods/admins having a circle jerk and the mods/admins are unable to fix it now because as the soccer forum grew, so did the spurs forum and it would be very unfair to let keane=cock post in the soccer forum as every time he posted he would get banned for abuse, as per charter :)

admins - you fcuked up back then and are unable to fix it now without upsetting people. this is why you should stop circle jerking and actually think before giving your mates privileges. this is not downstairs at the door of the science block in UCD anymore, bull****ting and favoritism have consequences.

if you had the stones, you would merge the two forums back together in acknowledgement of your original mistake and the attempt to fix it, because as it stands, it is a great example of the hypocrisy and nonsense that goes on in the decision making here. its quite hard to take any authority here seriously as you can see right through the disposition and hand shandys. i know all this might seem inflammatory, but its not, its simply the way I and many other people see it, and you well know that this isnt reasonless.

Jazzy will say this for you. You are not afraid to speak your mind. An admirable feature at times. Shame about the sig though. The phrase went down like a lead balloon springs to mind. Epic fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Well Jazzy, you're nothing if not consistent...

But do you know what, you're absolutely right. Several years ago, one of the friends of the Admins asked for that forum and got it. That's the way Boards worked back then, but it's a very different place now. I don't know why you're holding the current Admin team responsible for this, they weren't the people who made the decision - only DeVore, Cloud and Regi are still Admins and DeVore's the only one who still deals with community issues.

I've already stated that I'm trying to find a solution and that the end of season review seems to me to be the best time for this. It's not the sort of thing I would want to or can make a snap decision on to be fair.

To answer Astrofool: I don't think we would go ahead with another supporters club forum - I agree that to split up the Soccer forum into club specific forums is not the right way to go about things. However, mine isn't the last word on these things which is why I want to talk to the people involved about it.

So, if we're done here, I'm locking this thread as it's going nowhere. I will contact the people I need to talk with and see if we can come up with a fair solution.

Dav

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement