Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Screen protectors for HTC Desire

• 06-05-2010 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just got a Desire from the carphone warehouse... wow.

But that's an awful lot of screen real estate to get scratched.

Anyone suggest a good place to get cases/screen protectors in Dublin?

I thought about mail order but expansys charge FOURTEEN euro to deliver a screen protector :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I just bought a Desire myself today. Overjoyed! From the screen-protector point of view, I purched this last night. Have been hearing pretty good things about them. They're pricey enough, at almost €12, but it's worth getting decent protection... whatever that protection may be!! :D

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/htc-desire-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RDMH

quad_red wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just got a Desire from the carphone warehouse... wow.

But that's an awful lot of screen real estate to get scratched.

Anyone suggest a good place to get cases/screen protectors in Dublin?

I thought about mail order but expansys charge FOURTEEN euro to deliver a screen protector :eek:

Getting mine from http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/, delivery is €4 and my order shipped the same day. Some nice cases too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Sanjuro wrote: »
    I just bought a Desire myself today. Overjoyed! From the screen-protector point of view, I purched this last night. Have been hearing pretty good things about them. They're pricey enough, at almost €12, but it's worth getting decent protection... whatever that protection may be!! :D

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/htc-desire-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php
    You might regret it =/

They are very difficult to get on and once they are applied they can't be re applied so you have to get it right the first time. That and everyone is saying it makes the screen very tacky and hard to use. I haven't used it myself but that's the general consensus on XDA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭johnny_rambo

I bought the Martin Fields screen protector and its brilliant.
    Its very easy to apply, its not sticky like the zagg protector and you'd forget its even there.
    They're a bit pricey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

I bought the Martin Fields screen protector and its brilliant.
    Its very easy to apply, its not sticky like the zagg protector and you'd forget its even there.
    They're a bit pricey though.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

You might regret it =/

They are very difficult to get on and once they are applied they can't be re applied so you have to get it right the first time. That and everyone is saying it makes the screen very tacky and hard to use. I haven't used it myself but that's the general consensus on XDA.

Installed one of these last night. Very tacky so far, really hope it gets slicker with time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Of the screen protectors I used on the Hero the HTC own ones were the best. Never any bubbles and simple to apply.

Waiting for them to become available for my Desire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

EPM wrote: »
    Of the screen protectors I used on the Hero the HTC own ones were the best. Never any bubbles and simple to apply.

Waiting for them to become available for my Desire
    Just buy one made for the HD2 and cut to size. Made of the same material as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

My HTC Desire, HTC made screen protectors were shipped on Wednesday. When I get them I'll let ye know how good (or bad) they are. Came to €14 delivered on Clove, so not too shabby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Grudle wrote: »
    My HTC Desire, HTC made screen protectors were shipped on Wednesday. When I get them I'll let ye know how good (or bad) they are. Came to €14 delivered on Clove, so not too shabby.

Tried to order them off Clove as well (they were listed as in stock). But just got an email saying that they would get stock in 'approximately two weeks'. Hence, I cancelled.

Anyone here bought one yet? Opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

Bit of a bump here!

I have the Martin Fields one, but after almost a year it's a good bit scuffed.
    Any new options for screen protectors? Or should I just go with the Martin Fields one again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Or you could just not bother with a screen protector? You don't need one with hardened glass. You do need a gelcase tho to protect against drops tho. Have had several android phones, the original g1 needed protector but the newer ones don't. Have a Desire that's almost a year old, dropped many times, left in bag with keys etc. Not a mark on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

+1 for the zagg shield, I think their fantastic and its easy enough to put on, Iv had mine on my desire since day one. Having said that the Desire does use Gorilla Glass so the changes of it even getting scratched is slim to begin with :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

You don't need them IMHO, mine goes everywhere without one and has never scratched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

srsly78 wrote: »
    Or you could just not bother with a screen protector? You don't need one with hardened glass. You do need a gelcase tho to protect against drops tho. Have had several android phones, the original g1 needed protector but the newer ones don't. Have a Desire that's almost a year old, dropped many times, left in bag with keys etc. Not a mark on it.

Been debating removing my old smuggy Martin Fields one and decided to do it after reading this thread. Feels like a new phone again the screen is so clear without the protector.

Take your keys and scratch the screen hard with it, not a mark. Would have to hammer down on keys like a chisel to damage it. An unlucky fall onto a sharp corner of rock or whatever can break the screen tho, but I doubt a plastic film would help much there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Have a Zagg one including entire body protector from Zagg, have it since day 1 nearly a year ago. Very easy to apply once you have a hour to spare. The screen protector is great and I dont find it sticky or tacky at all - display is perfect and you would have to look hard to realise there is a screen protector on the phone. I dont really think it is necessary as the phone has Gorilla Glass and is nigh on almost impossible to scratch or break but the protector just gives me an added bit of comfort.
    I think I spotted a Zagg discount code thread somewhere on here recently so check that out as you can get up to 50% off items.

Full body cover is a bit un-necessary IMHO and I have since removed it and now have a gel cover - no worries if you drop it as it bounces !! Some come with a screen protector also and they are in all sorts of colours. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HTC-DESIRE-BLACK-GEL-CASE-COVER-SKIN-SCREEN-PROTECTOR-/170554051371

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Have a Zagg one including entire body protector from Zagg, have it since day 1 nearly a year ago. Very easy to apply once you have a hour to spare. The screen protector is great and I dont find it sticky or tacky at all - display is perfect and you would have to look hard to realise there is a screen protector on the phone. I dont really think it is necessary as the phone has Gorilla Glass and is nigh on almost impossible to scratch or break but the protector just gives me an added bit of comfort.
    I think I spotted a Zagg discount code thread somewhere on here recently so check that out as you can get up to 50% off items.

Full body cover is a bit un-necessary IMHO and I have since removed it and now have a gel cover - no worries if you drop it as it bounces !! Some come with a screen protector also and they are in all sorts of colours. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HTC-DESIRE-BLACK-GEL-CASE-COVER-SKIN-SCREEN-PROTECTOR-/170554051371

I'm pretty sure the Desire doesn't have Gorilla Glass, if it does it doesn't work.

HTC seem to say it doesn't use Gorilla Glass here

But Corning, who make the glass say the Desire does use their glass here

Either way, I can confirm that my dad's HTC Desire which was not covered with a screen protector, is most definitely scratched.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

Been debating removing my old smuggy Martin Fields one and decided to do it after reading this thread. Feels like a new phone again the screen is so clear without the protector.

Just done the same :D
    Tis very smooth now.

Cheers folks, I was probably overprotective last year :o

hardCopy wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the Desire doesn't have Gorilla Glass, if it does it doesn't work.

HTC seem to say it doesn't use Gorilla Glass here

But Corning, who make the glass say the Desire does use their glass here

Either way, I can confirm that my dad's HTC Desire which was not covered with a screen protector, is most definitely scratched.

Gorrilla glass is just a marketing term. The Desire defo has hardened glass. To scratch it you have to apply serious force, plastic film won't do much good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

haven't had a screen protector on mine and not a scratch on it. On the other hand the amount of dust under the screen is a pain in the ass

Advertisement