Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New biker: probability of coming off?

• 06-05-2010 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I've got the cash, I've got the license - all I need is the bike.

Should I go out and buy the (legal) €4500 bike I want and take my chances of crashing it
    or
    should I buy a cheap (€1500) 125cc and practice on it first?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

fleet wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I've got the cash, I've got the license - all I need is the bike.

Should I go out and buy the (legal) €4500 bike I want and take my chances of crashing it
    or
    should I buy a cheap (€1500) 125cc and practice on it first?

Have you had lessons? Have you any previous experience on scooters?

If no to both, you most likely will crash, sorry! Old saying is, it's not if you crash... More like when you crash!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Everybody told me I would crash. I'm still waiting.

Get lessons in a school bike with a instructor for the basics. Get a advanced driving course done quickly as well(any money spent is pretty much immediately saved on insurance). Buy what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

easy enough to get overwhelmed by the weight of a bike when you're only new to them - not so much crashing them, but dropping them is a distinct possibility

I came close a number of times when I was starting off, and twas only that my starter bike was so light (cbr125), that she didnt hit the deck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Should I go out and buy the (legal) €4500 bike I want
    what is the bike you want?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Even dropping your bike at 5mph will do a fair bit of damage to nice new shiny plastics. If I was you I'd get a naked bike for your 6 month waiting period and treat yourself to a new bike when you pass your test, it's what I'm planning on doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I went for the latter option and came off after a fortnight. I subsequently learned that it that was because the headstock bearings were fooked and I never knew... because I was a learner and it was a shabby cheap bike.

When I got them done, I couldn't believe the difference. I'm surprised I hadn't come off a lot more.

I suggest buying the best bike you can and getting lessons/ training/ assesment and don't condition yourself that you'll come off. You won't if you're prepared. Just give yourself the best chance possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Might end up going for the cheap 125 alright.

Thanks lads :-)
    hobochris wrote: »
    what is the bike you want?

Hyosung GV250
    28bhp, Electronic Fuel Injected - 2010 model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Might end up going for the cheap 125 alright.

Thanks lads :-)

Hyosung GV250
    28bhp, Electronic Fuel Injected - 2010 model.

Before people start coming in telling you not to buy a Chinese bike etc (I know it's Korean), I owned one of these, a 2002 model, when I lived in Korea and it was a great starter bike and absolutely bulletproof. Put loads of distance on it, and never a problem with it, which is more than I can say for some of the brands that are considered more reliable. But - if you're thinking of buying it from B***world - I've heard it might cost more than it should for parts, servicing etc, and even the bike itself. One thing though, some things on it - paint, "chrome", etc, not always the best cosmetically.

Of the five bikes I've owned (Honda, Hyosung and Kawasaki), the GV250 has been my second favourite, and I'd buy Hyosung again with no qualms - the bike I started on was a 90s model Hyosung 125cc and equally reliable, despite having been left to rust out in the rain for the best part of a year before I got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭smartarse2007

honestly i would advise go for the 125 seriously

as said above ya could drop it accidently or in my case it was the 1st rain after that huge dry spell in augest / september and well i came off after my bike sliding out from under me on a round about so there went my rear brake and front brake pedel / lever and a lovely scrape all along my exhust ......yey but it was ok cause at least the parts were cheap....er and that it could have been alot worse if the bike was alot bigger and newer......nothing worse than a new bike with a huge scratch or scrape

honestly go for the 125 and yall be grand im on mine every day commuting in and out of town and if anything i would prefer it to a bigger bike as im able to fit in between some spaces that other bikes cant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Go for a naked bike, get crash bars on it.Better still, get training on an instructors school bike first before you decide anything.
    Pass your test or get a lot of miles experience before considering getting any bike with plastics, they cost a fortune to fix after any off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Firstly, your commute should decide your bike. Long commutemeans a comfortable bike.

Second, your age, if you are < 20 then a 125cc.

Thirdly, get a day of lessons from an approved bike training company in your area. This was the best money I ever spent as it was my first bike which I bought new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

You can get a great starter bike for less than 2 grand these days. I got a non vtec vfr800 for 1900 last november! I know its not learner legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Neuro Energetic Kinesiology

Hi does anyone know where I can get a full day bike training lesson around the Midlands or do I have to go to Dublin??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

OP, if you're going for a 125, i couldn't recommend the Yamaha YBR 125 more, 2550 brand new when i got it 2 years ago, the new models are fuel injected. Extremely light bike, it's a naked bike also. I dropped my ybr at 70kph on the belgard road 2 years ago, only riding a couple months, barely 2000km under my belt. Exactly the same situation as Smartarse2007, heavy rain after a long dry spell. The bike barely took a hit, scratched exhaust and broken indicator cover, the bulb survived. Since it was my first bike(and vehicle), it got a serious amount of abuse, i didn't service it for 16,000km and it still kept running.

Although, i must mention, once i did upgrade to a bigger bike (fazer 600) i noticed a huge difference in a sense of security and solidity. I hoped onto my friends ybr125 recently, and my god it was terrifying, maybe cause the bike was in a horrible state and probably not road worthy at all, so i'm not 100% sure. But not knowing better is probably best when starting out. Perhaps learn on the worst so you can enjoy the best more?

My commute on the ybr was lucan to dun laoghaire, down the m50 which was completely tolerable on the bike. Top speed is about 110kmph, but it rarely reaches that unless going downhill, it averages 90kph, which is more than enough for a city commute, and it's so light and small, filtering through static traffic in town is a doddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Hi does anyone know where I can get a full day bike training lesson around the Midlands or do I have to go to Dublin??
    Im sure someone will recommend an instructor covering the midlands if not the RSA have a list of adi approved instructors on their website
    Obviously look for someone that dose category A.
    Ask about doing an insurance assessment to get a few €€€ off your quote

Have a read of this booklet too
    This is your Bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I'm only new to biking myself and found Leinster Driving Campus in Maynooth great, the guy I did lessons with was called Tony, sound fella and knows his stuff. Think he might have a shop in Trim, ABC Cycles or something along those lines.

First off...What's OP? Am new to this lingo, but not to bikes...Grew up riding a 250 tric from about the age of 7 moved on to a 450cc quad..Just find the two wheels a little different.. Def not interested in buying a 125 or starting of with one.. No point it wouldn't know what hit it lol Am considering a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650r:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

OP is boards speak :)

OP = original poster, owner of the thread

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I went for the 125 first and then went on to a 600. Hmm not really sure if it was worth it, I did not loose too much money on the 125 apart form a years insurance but still a 125 is really only for your first few months of learning before you get bored, just expect to be wanting to change it.

I'm riding 2 years now, most days to work and a lot of weekends also - and I have not had any accidents whatsoever. Make 100% sure to get good lessons, either from Dave Lyons or "Rubadub" on biker.ie - they are both highly recommended. Go fro the Level 2 certification. Just generally don't fuk about and do stupid stuff, expect the unexpected and you'll be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Zascar wrote: »
    I went for the 125 first and then went on to a 600. Hmm not really sure if it was worth it, I did not loose too much money on the 125 apart form a years insurance but still a 125 is really only for your first few months of learning before you get bored, just expect to be wanting to change it.

I'm riding 2 years now, most days to work and a lot of weekends also - and I have not had any accidents whatsoever. Make 100% sure to get good lessons, either from Dave Lyons or "Rubadub" on biker.ie - they are both highly recommended. Go fro the Level 2 certification. Just generally don't fuk about and do stupid stuff, expect the unexpected and you'll be fine

Id stay away from the hyosung, while they my be reliable as the big Jap four, you will lose your shirt on the resale, they don't hold their value well at all.

And given that your going for a 250 it wont be long before you you'll want to upgrade.

I'd go with Peter from Arron rider training or Dave Lyons from Bikesafe both great instructors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Here is a list of AON approved instructors that you can choose from.

I got lessons from Mick Ganly when I was starting off and found him very good. I also did my advanced training with Dave Lyons and he was great.

I started off getting the lessons to see how I would get on and then got myself a Bandit, which I still have. Only 6 months left on the restriction clock :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

hobochris wrote: »
    Dave Lyons from Bikesafe.... great instructors.

Past my Full licence test first with just 1, three hour pretest. First attempt on the test too, great instructor although i've no experience with any others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Xios wrote: »
    Past my Full licence test first with just 1, three hour pretest. First attempt on the test too, great instructor although i've no experience with any others.

Only lessons I ever did was with David Lyons. One year on and I pass my license test with no pre-test lessons because of the training I received the year before.

Thanks for all the tips:D

Wohoo...Just booked a lesson on bike safe...Again thanks:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Everybody told me I would crash. I'm still waiting.

Rider faster!.

OP, regardless what bike you get your gonna chuck it down the road at some stage, so - lots of fairing = expensive repair's for minor crashes.

No fairing = scratches, broken levers/mirror's/indicators & bent foot rests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

OP, I realise you're apprehensive about getting up on a bike. But to be honest I think it's as much about frame of mind as anything else. If you're throwing your leg over your bike and thinking about falling off it, well you're already well on your way to getting there. You'll tense up. Your arms will become rigid. And as a result the bike will handle badly.

I'm riding now nearly 10 years. And I *never* think about coming off the bike. Even when I was learning, I had a healthy respect for what the right hand was doing, but I always felt comfortable enough not to think about crashing.

Having said that, I have dropped my old ZX-6R a few times. Always silly stuff like not putting the stand down correctly and fully.

My instructor gave me one piece of advice that still reverbrates in my head everytime I pull on my lid "Never ride beyond your comfort level!" Don't feel like you have to push yourself, going faster, or leaning more in corners. This stuff will all come naturally as you progress in your biking career. I feel that this is the one piece of advice that has kept me from sliding down the road on my ar$e (or worse still my face) :D

Best of Irish luck with the lessons. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Dont get a hyosung, no resale value and no power... you'll end up crashing it on purpose so you can claim on your insurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

jameshayes wrote: »
    Dont get a hyosung, no resale value and no power... you'll end up crashing it on purpose so you can claim on your insurance

Ha ha!

Hyosung GV250 - 28 BHP, electronic fuel injection for smooth power delivery. Care to name a more powerful 250cc cruiser?

I'll have the bike two and half years before I'll consider selling.

The resale value of a €4000 bike is of no concern to me, I just want the best bike for the job. The Hyosung is the best bike, the big four just don't compete in the small engine cruiser market, none of them even make one anymore (except the Suzuki 125 VanVan).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Ha ha!

Hyosung GV250 - 28 BHP, electronic fuel injection for smooth power delivery. Care to name a more powerful 250cc cruiser?

I'll have the bike two and half years before I'll consider selling.

The resale value of a €4000 bike is of no concern to me, I just want the best bike for the job. The Hyosung is the best bike, the big four just don't compete in the small engine cruiser market, none of them even make one anymore (except the Suzuki 125 VanVan).

Have a look at something like this if you are looking for a 250 cruiser:

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/16/57845816.html

Advertisement