Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards handling of G.Ryan's death

Options
  • 06-05-2010 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭

Just wanted to give a little Feedback on how well that I felt Boards.ie handled the situation regarding Gerry Ryan's death over the past week.

I was quite surprised to be honest, as I felt there would've been a feeding frenzy considering some of the strong feelings that have been quite evident towards Gerry on Boards, over the years.

He certainly made no bones about the fact that he wasn't a fan of people being able to say whatever they wanted to online, without consequence, while retaining their anonymity.

Which just makes what Boards did this week even more worthy of commendation.

People were able to pay their respects to the man, share memories of his shows down the years etc and if they so wished, some could even express their dislike of him.

As long as they did so with a little decorum, their posts remained.

I'm sure the type of comments that were deleted will soon come flooding in like an inevitable avalanche, as there was a undeniable side of Gerry that wasn't liked and that's fine, everything has a time and a place.

However, this past week on Boards was not that time (as was made clear by moderators / admin).

Especially when you consider that Gerry was one of our own and that, right along with the side of him that grated with so many, was an equally undeniable good, positive and decent side - that sometimes had us laughing in spite of ourselves.

He clearly meant a great deal to a large section of Irish society and even those of us that criticized him down the years, are still likely to know a few people who's mornings will no longer be the same as a result of his absence.

Anyway, just thought that all across Boards, Mods, Admin etc - judged the majority mood very well and the respect that was shown for the man and his family this past week was something that Boards as a whole should be proud of.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

SS, Micky D and Dr B were the mods in the thick of it for most the time.

Many hours clocked up from their side.

The mod log is one of the biggest I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Thanks whore. :p

[serious hat]

Couldn't agree more. Top notch job by all and it was kept nice and tidy. See dr.b laying down the law with that epic long ass post? :cool:

[/serious hat]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Aids By Google

The mods did a great job. I personally liked the way the protected the OP and her uncle, the paramedic/ambulance driver? who sent a text saying he was dead, by editing the thread to remove all references, more or less, and then edit the initial post to make it look like other sources posted about it first.

Well done all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I personally liked the way the protected the OP and her uncle, the paramedic/ambulance driver? who sent a text saying he was dead, by editing the thread to remove all references, more or less, and then edit the initial post to make it look like other sources posted about it first.

I was referring to the many threads on G.Ryan's death across Boards, not just the one in AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Mods, CMs and the vast majority of users should take a bow, this was handled very well indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Some of the posts in AH thread aside , posters behaved impeccably. That said I would like to see some guidelines laid down with regards to how posters behave when events like this happen.
    As one poster said in AH there is no compulsion on any poster to post glowing tributes to anyone who has passed.
    But I think a moratorium should be imposed on when they can say it particularly in the hours after an event like this.
    Respect has to given regardless and some posters on AH jumped in immediately with some uncomplimentary remarks that were a bit distasteful in the context of it being so soon after G Ryan has passed away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Clap Clap bravo OP.

Now we can all continue on with our lives np

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Fair play to you, it just shows how committed some mods are, I wouldn't have taken on that much responsibility unless I was paid for it so yeah, props to not just the AH mods but the C&S mods too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Rabies wrote: »
    The mod log is one of the biggest I've seen.

Alright, he may be shit but there's no need to call dr.bollocko "the mod log."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

um?

• Advertisement

Jazzy wrote: »

Ahem ...
    OutlawPete wrote: »
    Anyway, just thought that all across Boards, Mods, Admin etc - judged the majority mood very well and the respect that was shown for the man and his family this past week was something that Boards as a whole should be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Even standard moaners should have standards.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Ahem ...

cant believe i spelt Sherif wrong. with a c at the start? what is that. drunken posting = bad... 3eu a drink tho = awesome

sound Sound yeah, handjobs for all then. planning on being a mod soon? gonna Gonna really have to get out the shamrock shaker. but dont you mind pete, spamming on AH is the easy road to success. ask 30 a day sharpshooter. easy Easy ****in peasy as long as you put threads up in Feedback saying how great your superiors are. but[ But /S] no no, that isnt the way the site is run nowadays. no No way. not Not this one. theres There's a new cherif Sherrif in town dont don't ya know and he dont don't take kindly to arse licking. thats That's unless im wrong... am i wrong ?
    Jazzy you would strengthen your case a lot of if you didn't post absolute crap like this. Who is exactly is this new sheriff in town? Say what you want to say and don't hide behind a string of questions you obviously seem to know the answer to. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Aids By Google

sound yeah, handjobs for all then. planning on being a mod soon? gonna really have to get out the shamrock shaker. but dont you mind pete, spamming on AH is the easy road to success. ask 30 a day sharpshooter. easy ****in peasy as long as you put threads up in Feedback saying how great your superiors are. but no no, that isnt the way the site is run nowadays. no way. not this one. theres a new cherif in town dont ya know and he dont take kindly to arse licking. thats unless im wrong... am i wrong ?

Just wanted to give a little Feedback on how well that I felt Jazzy handled the situation regarding Outlaw Petes thread here.

Top Notch analysis and handled with the decorum and respect I have come to expect.

Well done fella! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Jazzy you would strengthen your case a lot of if you didn't post absolute crap like this. Who is exactly is this new sheriff in town? Say what you want to say and don't hide behind a string of questions you obviously seem to know the answer to. :rolleyes:

Hypocritical or what!!!

monkey9 wrote: »
    Hypocritical or what!!!
    No it's not. And most people can tell the difference. If Outlaw Pete congratulates the modding of a thread I say well done and many many more agree if you wan't to read the OP.
    Mods did a good job there. There was no attempt to turn thread into some sort of shrine but at same time mods ensured that proper order was maintained.

sound yeah, handjobs for all then. planning on being a mod soon? gonna really have to get out the shamrock shaker. but dont you mind pete, spamming on AH is the easy road to success. ask 30 a day sharpshooter. easy ****in peasy as long as you put threads up in Feedback saying how great your superiors are. but no no, that isnt the way the site is run nowadays. no way. not this one. theres a new cherif in town dont ya know and he dont take kindly to arse licking. thats unless im wrong... am i wrong ?

Guess you think that was a clever analysis of my thread and the reasons behind posting it?

Course, it wouldn't simply have anything to do with the fact that I actually DID feel that Boards handled the situation in a manner that befitted it.

You really should pay more attention to my threads if you think the motive behind any of them would ever be to become a Mod, fcuking laughable.

First of all, I would say I am one of the last people on this forum that would ever be thought of as Mod material.

Say Admin would have a little giggle at the thought of it quite frankly.

Whenever I have posted in Feedback before it is usually to complain or to try and change something, it frequently has ended up with a member of Admin telling me to stop posting for arguing. Whenever I have started threads before that addressed Admin or Mods, they were far from endorsing their actions, let alone the circle jerk that you imply here.

Or maybe you think my requesting that Admin grant an 'Off-Topic' thread for AH was just me trying to get in tight with Mods. Going against something that every single Mod and Admin (bar one) have consistently said 'No' to and telling them that that shouldn't really matter, as some people want it - was really me just trying to suck up to them and get in their good books. Hoping that one day all of that would somehow get them to give me the Nod for a Mod position down the road.

Yeah .. you got me.

sorry, drank loads. cant even remember posting. a mate of mine also got me in an ankle lock... it hurts. he was wearing MY america pants while he did it too.

good to see the over defence tho :)

Yeah .. you got me.

think i did too :D

oh and SotS - shut up

Yes you can't win with Jazzy. You agree with a mod you are arselicking. You disagree with them and you are making trouble.
    That apart the was post absolute tripe. Was merely an attempt to have a pop at what is seemed to be an establishment post without actually bothering to read the AH thread.
    The thread in AH worked well. Both sides made their views known. I thought Dudess made some terrific points in there in saying that people should be allowed make a point where it was valid without being seen to come across as disrespectful.
    Jazzy if you are going to put out posts like that put them some effort into them. You adopt the same tone in a lot of your posts and after awhile it just seems you are rebelling for no good reason other than to be the rebel.
    sorry, drank loads. cant even remember posting. a mate of mine also got me in an ankle lock... it hurts. he was wearing MY america pants while he did it too.
    And surprise surprise poster in "I was drunk at the time" shock. Cant even stand over his own post now.

• Advertisement

Reminder: This feedback thread is not AH based. It is a site wide commendation of the handling of G.Ryan's passing by mods/admins/users.

Yes you can't win with Jazzy. You agree with a mod you are arselicking. You disagree with them and you are making trouble.
    That apart the post absolute tripe. Was merely an attempt to have a pop at what is seemed to be an establishment post without actually bothering to read the AH thread.
    The thread in AH worked well. Both sides made their views known. I thought Dudess made some terrific points in there in saying that people should be allowed make a point where it was valid without being seen to come across as disrespectful.
    Jazzy if you are going to put out posts like that put them some effort into them. You adopt the same tone in a lot of your posts and after awhile it just seems you are rebelling for no good reason other than to be the rebel

And surprise surprise poster in "I was drunk at the time" shock. Cant even stand over his own post now.

em, i was drunk? im f**king hanging now. actually, i really cba saying anything to you. you'll just drone on and on and on

em, i was drunk? im f**king hanging now. actually, i really cba saying anything to you. you'll just drone on and on and on
    And you don't jazzy. Classic tactics. When you are on the ropes you make up some half ass excuse that you had drink on you.
    Seems as if you want it both ways on here. Again top marks for posting that sig. You knew damn well it would be removed but you made your point all the same. Class act.

And you don't jazzy. Classic tactics. When you are on the ropes you make up some half ass excuse that you had drink on you.
    Seems as if you want it both ways on here. Again top marks for posting that sig. You knew damn well it would be removed but you made your point all the same. Class act.

yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh :D

Classic jazzy. Just dont want to debate with posters when you are on the back foot.

Classic jazzy. Just dont want to debate with posters when you are on the back foot.

nah, me and my mate are here now. he is currently topless wearing only my america pants. i was showing him some of your classic posts and we were actually lolling. we have listened to music for chameleons twice now and i think its time to change track... you guessed it, its time for the n*ggers with attitude

nah, me and my mate are here now. he is currently topless wearing only my america pants.

I stopped reading here.

Gay%20called%20its%20for%20you%21.jpg

yeah hes put a shirt on now. think he got paranoid about the gay pic there. his shirt is ripped though because we were rasslin' last night

don_frye_www_kepfeltoltes_hu__418_20090226115916_525.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

This thread was really nice until you started dragging your inane rubbish into it.
    Surely you can go and create a "Me me me" thread if you just want to go on and on about you and your drunken antics?
    (You're really cool for drinking and having hangovers by the way. You're so grown up!).

• Advertisement

Magenta wrote: »
    This thread was really nice until you started dragging your inane rubbish into it.
    Surely you can go and create a "Me me me" thread if you just want to go on and on about you and your drunken antics?
    (You're really cool for drinking and having hangovers by the way. You're so grown up!).

i was trying to explain maybe why i posted such an abrasive post. i still think 'Outlaw'pete is absolutely licking arse tho :) and of course looney tunes there is currently raging at me because i had a funny sig aimed at his thread here. and as for the rest, it was the irony of posting inane rubbish in reply to SotS who actually does go and create "me me me" threads. I thought people might get that, ah well

Advertisement