Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

only 2.25 gig ram available?

Options
  • 06-05-2010 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

i recently upgraded the ram in my laptop to 4 from 2 but now when i go to computer and properties it says only 2.25 available. im not very tech savy so i was wondering could anyone tell me can i change this? im running windows 7

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

i recently upgraded the ram in my laptop to 4 from 2 but now when i go to computer and properties it says only 2.25 available. im not very tech savy so i was wondering could anyone tell me can i change this? im running windows 7

That's how it should be on a 32bit OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Are you sure it's the right kind of ram?

You'll need to give a bit more information or they won't be able to help you here. Computer make, model, ram you bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Spear wrote: »
    That's how it should be on a 32bit OS.
    Isn't it 3.5 on 32bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

ScumLord wrote: »
    Are you sure it's the right kind of ram?

You'll need to give a bit more information or they won't be able to help you here. Computer make, model, ram you bought.

its an acer aspire 5050, im not entirely sure what the ram is, i just bought it as ram for an acer aspire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Could the memmory on the graphics card (it there is one) be taking up some of the allocation?

If it is a 1gig discrete graphics card in it that would make it about right wouldn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

ScumLord wrote: »
    Isn't it 3.5 on 32bit?

No, the amount varies, with 3.5 usually being about the max, often down to as low as 2.25 gig or so. It will vary depending on the number of devices on the PCI bus, and how much memory space they'll each want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Did you get windows 7 to scan your computer again using the experience index?

On a 32-bit operating system, you can only have up to 4GB of memory. This includes graphics, bios and other peripherals (so the more dedicated graphics memory you have, the less RAM you can use).
    I had a look at the specs of this laptop, and from what I can see, it isn't available with a dedicated graphics card. -So I don't think this is the problem.

However, your laptop allocates some RAM for graphics. You might want to go to the bios and look to see if it has accidentally allocated an obscene amount of RAM to graphics. As soon as you power on your computer, you should see a prompt to hit a key to enter the bios.
    If the bios shows less than the total RAM, you can eliminate it being a windows problem. You may alse need to update your bios.

Otherwise it could be faulty. Did you install it yourself?

Advertisement