Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photography gear in London

• 06-05-2010 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

In London and decided I might get a starter studio kit. Any recommendations for shops to visit?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Calumet wouldn't be a bad place to check.

93-103 Drummond Street
    London NW1 2HJ

175 Wardour Street
    London W1F 8WU

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭balon

Thanks a lot. Will check it out tomorrow. Any other suggestions welcome.!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

London Camera Exchange, I've been to their strand store(Not sure about studio stuff though!), Jessops on New Oxford Street, have a dedicated studio lighting area I think.( or they did before they updated!)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭balon

Thanks for the replies guys.

I went to Calumet on Wardour St who were helpful but most of their display is at their Drummond St Store.

Then went to Jessops on New Oxford St and essentially got handed a brochure and told there's more on their website. Such apathy really turns me off buying from them again.

Was a bit rushed in the end and didn't get to go anywhere else so still looking and will check out those links below.

I did a studio portrait course recently and understand the Bowens heads to be generally considered the best. What is the general consensus on the Elinchrom or the Elemental range? Any others worth considering?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

I have no experience of the "Elemental" (Never heard of them acturally!), but the Bowens v Elinchrom debate is like a Canon v Nikon debate - the are both superb. I favour Elinchrom (yes, I am biased) because they are smaller and lighter and the built in Skyport Receivers in the current models are fantastic (you can remotely control the power and the Mod light in the Bx-Ri models - Nice!). If you are likely to do a lot of location work, check out the Ranger Quadras from Elinchrom. Everybody who has seen mine (Lights) has fallen in love!

Advertisement