Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best phone for travelling in SE Asia??

Options
  • 06-05-2010 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hey, I was hoping someone savvy on here would be able to help me on this one.
    I'm gonna be doing some backpacking in Cambodia, Thailand and Vietnam for about a month in a while and I intend taking only one electronic device with me so I'm looking for a sim free mobile with a good camera thats also a decent MP3 player. Budget would be approx. €250 but I'm flexible if the phone is worth it (though I don't want to take anything too expensive, stuff gets nicked/lost/damaged while traveling all too easy).
    Other than those things I don't really care as long as I can make/receive calls/texts.
    So, suggestions will be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Nearly forgot, it's gotta be fairly sturdy too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Define fairly sturdy :p

A standard 3g phone that you pick up here will work fine, so their is plenty of options really. Depends what manufacturer you prefer (nokia, samsung, SE etc), touchscreen, keypad or qwerty and then monoblock, slider etc. Monoblock is probably best sturdiness-wise, but depends ho sturdy you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Important to have it unlocked so that you can pick up a local SIM as required, as roaming deals would not be the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 S0L0N

Definately local sim and as for how sturdy,well I guess as long as it doesn't have a large touchscreen and can take a bit of rain. I don't really have a manufacturer preference.
    The camera and music are important like I say cos I'm not taking any laptop or standalone camera or music player

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Keith186

I'd say check out a Nokia N95 8gb. I had one for years. Worked every where for me and I had about 1000 mp3's 600 photos and some tv episodes on it. Ok for browsing net too.
    There's no expandable memory slot so you will be limited to the size above so depends on how much music you want.

Alternatively get a small cheap phone to supplement an ipod maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its not very new, but which can be a good thing for getting cheaper and more option for unlocked. Check out the nokia n82, prime reason being the camera. Their is sturdier phones, but check it out first and see what you think. you would pick one up for €150 give or take

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, I'll check them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭gu10

Thuraya XT :)

the Thuraya XT is somewhat out of my price range. Has anyone had any experience with the SE W995, here it is on the vodafone site:
    https://www.vodafone.ie/df/shop/DirectViewBuy.shtml?handsetselected=373325&offerSelected=prepayporting&action=view#tab[fulldetails]
    Also, is unlocking a phone like this a big deal? I've no no experience of needing to before.

Advertisement