Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Might be moving to waterford, what's it like?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

Ive lived half my life in Waterford and half in Dublin while Dublin has more variety while wandering round town personally I feel Waterford is way better for doing stuff with hardly any traffic and the city is 10min away from the sea and 20min to the mountains and loads of other stuff to do.

Price wise it isnt that much cheaper then Dub you are still in Ireland. The main difference pints are generally the same price all night and the competition isnt there so Waterford wont have the drinks promos like Dub. But some nice pubs to have a quiet one in.

Rent is well cheaper, Haggle and U will get it down more.

As for the fights and stuff you get the odd one but same as been around Dub city center at 3 am.

Loads of outdoor sports available, clubs and societies too. Its a pretty well rounded place.

Hope this helps
    Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭kitty_kilkenny

I'm a Dub - living in Waterford 5 years now.

Here's my honest opinion. I love living in Waterford. There is a lovely sense of community, the people are funny (same wit as the Dubs) and if you get involved in things then you'll really enjoy it.

It's actually very like Dublin, only smaller. Yes, there is a rough element, but there's a rough element in every city, so I don't see how that could influence your decision really.

There is also a lively cultural and arts scene in the city. There are two theatres, several art galleries, some great festivals, lots of great music. Also, the ticket prices into gigs are a lot cheaper than Dublin.

There quite a few Dubliners living here too, which helps if you get homesick!

Best of luck with the decision! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

There is a lovely sense of community, the people are funny (same wit as the Dubs) and if you get involved in things then you'll really enjoy it.

That's actualyl a very good point. I've always found I get on very well with Dubs and I think the humour thing is a big part of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I'm a Dub - living in Waterford 5 years now.

Here's my honest opinion. I love living in Waterford. There is a lovely sense of community, the people are funny (same wit as the Dubs) and if you get involved in things then you'll really enjoy it.

It's actually very like Dublin, only smaller. Yes, there is a rough element, but there's a rough element in every city, so I don't see how that could influence your decision really.

There is also a lively cultural and arts scene in the city. There are two theatres, several art galleries, some great festivals, lots of great music. Also, the ticket prices into gigs are a lot cheaper than Dublin.

There quite a few Dubliners living here too, which helps if you get homesick!

Best of luck with the decision! :)

Having lived away from Waterford for 10 years and come back, and having listened to reports from foreigners and people from around the country on Waterford as a place to live, I think your account is fairly typical. Now if only Waterford people could see it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

I moved here from Dublin for six months on a job... ten years later im still here!! its a great city to live in!! you will love it!! just jump right in, and get down in time for Spraoi :D best of luck!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement