Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2FM time for change?

• 06-05-2010 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

2FM is a station is steady decline, once all powerful in the "legal" market its been long since overtaken in all the markets by other stations, its share in Dublin and Cork is particuarly poor given the importance of ad revenue.

(figures for music based stations only)
    JNLR WEEKDAY REACH FIGURES
    JANUARY 2009 – DECEMBER 2009

National
    RTÉ 2FM 15% Today FM 15%

Dublin
    FM104 20
    Dublin’s 98 15
    Dublin’s Q102 13
    Spin 1038 13
    RTÉ 2FM 12
    Today FM 10

In Cork its lagging at just 6%.

The death of Gerry Ryan has left 15 hours of airtime up for grabs, but is it time to consider the future of the whole station rather than just that slot?

The age profile of the typical 2fm listener is probably in the 25-40 age range rather than the 15-30 that it would have had in its earlier years. The yoof vote is now with the likes of FM104, Dublin’s 98, Dublin’s Q102 Corks Red FM, i102-104 (whereever that is) and Waterford based Beat FM. Should 2FM be re-postioned and if so where to?

In the UK BBC Radio 2 was faced with a demographic problem that was dealt with by James Moir who introduced fresh voices and tweaked the music/talk policy during the day while developing new slots that covered musical genres with knowledgeable presenters in the evenings. This is generally seen as working a treat and boosted listenership greatly.

Can 2FM be reworked in a smilair fashion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Real FM

This change has supposedly been made.

Before John McMahon took over at 2fm RTÉ said that 2fm were now going to be targetting an older age group. I remember Willie O'Reilly then said RTÉ Radio had no service for Ireland's youth.

I think this is one of the reasons why Fanning moved back and probably why Larry is on weekdays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

They made an announcement last year that they intended to reposition the station for the 25-44 year old audience. These changes were to be rolled out in 2010

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2009/08/17/all-change-at-rte-radio/

http://www.carat.ie/news/Irish%20Radio%20Remains%20Buoyant.pdf

I suppose a wider question would be the continued existence of 2FM as a state owned entity. I realise it is self-funding, but surely the raison d'être for 2FM is now covered by a raft of commercial stations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

We're not in a situation though like the UK where the licence fee pays for the BBC. RTE still needs advertising money so they have to produce programs that pull in audiences.

I think the younger end of the audience is well catered for by some regional/local stations. In the south-east where I live, for example, Beat 102-103 is clearly aimed at the 15-34 age group. Cork's got Red FM. It's hard to be all things to all men of course.

Advertisement