Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I use this voucher?

Options
  • 06-05-2010 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

A year ago, I bought 2 pairs of shoes from a shop. When I got home and tried them, they didn't fit well so I took them back for an exchange. They only had one pair I wanted, so I swapped them for one pair of shoes and a credit voucher. A few days later, I went back without the credit voucher, but the manager remembered me and gave me another pair of shoes. It's been a year now, and I still have the voucher. Should I risk using it? If the manager isn't there or doesn't remember me, I might get another pair of shoes for it. If I do, and the manager later realises what has happened, do you think he can take any legal action against me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A year ago, I bought 2 pairs of shoes from a shop. When I got home and tried them, they didn't fit well so I took them back for an exchange. They only had one pair I wanted, so I swapped them for one pair of shoes and a credit voucher. A few days later, I went back without the credit voucher, but the manager remembered me and gave me another pair of shoes. It's been a year now, and I still have the voucher. Should I risk using it? If the manager isn't there or doesn't remember me, I might get another pair of shoes for it. If I do, and the manager later realises what has happened, do you think he can take any legal action against me?

You'd more than likely get away with it, but it's not a nice very nice thing to do a shop that has already been more then helpful to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That would be stealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

When Karma comes knocking.. your legs will probably fall off :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

What if you got a pair of shoes with the voucher. every time you wear them there'sa little feeling of guilt in the back of your mind.

What if your wearing them when you meet the love of your life? Every time you look at her the guilt grows. What if it were the shoes that got her attention in the first place!

What if you read that the store has gone under? You will be a small bit responsible, you would have contributed. All those people out of work because of you.

You can't look at the shoes anymore, or your lover. would you be able to live with the guilt? It could potntially takeover and ruin your mental well being. Is it really worth it???

Play it safe, karma can be a bitch!

or just get some nice shoes and to hell with them, who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

dan1895 wrote: »
    What if you got a pair of shoes with the voucher. every time you wear them there'sa little feeling of guilt in the back of your mind.

What if your wearing them when you meet the love of your life? Every time you look at her the guilt grows. What if it were the shoes that got her attention in the first place!

What if you read that the store has gone under? You will be a small bit responsible, you would have contributed. All those people out of work because of you.

You can't look at the shoes anymore, or your lover. would you be able to live with the guilt? It could potntially takeover and ruin your mental well being. Is it really worth it???

Play it safe, karma can be a bitch!

or just get some nice shoes and to hell with them, who cares.

Yeah i agree with that, you will slowly go crazy from the guilt and one day somebody will find your remains after a terrible guilt attack and yeah......

can i have that voucher?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Use it, you know you want to. But the next time you come on this forum crying about a shop ripping you off, Im going to point you to this thread. Common decency works both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

The Manager was decent towards you when you forgot your credit voucher... he/she let you get your pair of shoes without actually having the voucher in possession - it would be crappy of you to repay them for their consideration by ripping them off. Shame on you for even considering it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

That's pretty crappy tbh. Can't believe you seriously questioned to see would fellow posters condone committing fraud. Karma always comes full circle...

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭travellingbid

OP - that is stealing
    Everyone else - it's nice to see there are so nice moral folks out there

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

its a nice thought, to use the voucher and i think that we would all think about using it. I would not use it, as they went out of the way to help you, when they were not legibly obliged to. Your call

• Advertisement

I'd use it. The cost of one pair of shoes won't have them pulling the shutters down.

What else could you do with it? How much is it for? If you hand it over to an employee and acknowledge the mistake, the employee will just keep it anyway. Same could probably be said for the manager, actually.

(Note; I'm assuming this is a large chain store, and not a small family owned, struggling one.. in which case i'd probably feel guilty).

If you dropped a €50 note on the floor/counter and left, would they make an effort to get it back to you? I doubt it. Business is business.

In saying that, though, OP... if you plan to spend it, go in and make sure there's money on it (if it's one of those electronic ones that Argos and the likes use). If it is, it's possible they could have cancelled it or something, and that's why they didn't take it off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd use it. The cost of one pair of shoes won't have them pulling the shutters down.
    (

Ever hear of the straw that broke the camel's back.

(
    What else could you do with it? How much is it for? If you hand it over to an employee and acknowledge the mistake, the employee will just keep it anyway. Same could probably be said for the manager, actually.

(

They could burn or shred it. Or they could just not use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Fiend or relatives birthday coming up? ;)

If its a large multiple chain store I'd have no problem using it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

What difference does it make if it's a large chain store?

Theft is theft and this would be theft from a store that went above and beyond to help in the first place.

There are plenty of large chain stores going bust at the moment so don't be misguided and assume that they won't feel it. Every price we pay at a store includes a percentage added on to offset theft and fraud so the more this kind of crap continues the higher the prices we all end up paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Sell the voucher on adverts.ie. :);) Or put an ad in The Broken and Stolen. (Buy and Sell)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Well, I'm still undecided. Just for the record, the shop manage wasn't that nice to me. After trying the shoes and paying for them, when the manager took them to box them up, he altered the laces to a different pair that didn't match the shoes, that's why when I got home they didn't fit like they had in the shop. When I went back to the shop to complain about it and ask to change them, he was rude. It's not a small struggling business, it's one of the most well-to-do shops in the area. Anyway, I haven't decided. But my question is this: If I used it and if they realised later, could they do anything about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Is it a credit note or a voucher?

I wouldn't bother with it anyway. I think the manager would remember dealing with you. If you try and use it when the manager is not there, the staff member dealing with you may phone the manager to verify that they can accept it. Cue some major embarassment for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Well, I'm still undecided. Just for the record, the shop manage wasn't that nice to me. After trying the shoes and paying for them, when the manager took them to box them up, he altered the laces to a different pair that didn't match the shoes, that's why when I got home they didn't fit like they had in the shop. When I went back to the shop to complain about it and ask to change them, he was rude. It's not a small struggling business, it's one of the most well-to-do shops in the area. Anyway, I haven't decided. But my question is this: If I used it and if they realised later, could they do anything about it?

It's still wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It would be theft and not a nice way to repay a store that was nice to you and treated you properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Op,

what you are thinking about doing is low.

Anyway, any shop that issues a voucher, whether it be electronic or simply a fancy piece of card, you can be 100% sure they keep a record of the serial no. and any other details. This is standard, to stop duplicates etc being used.

Chances are that manager cancelled your voucher and made a note on the syttem/ gift voucher book etc.

My guess is if you try to use this you will be left with a big red face...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Do the decent thing and rip up the voucher.

Also as you said the manager remembered you and they might remember the day they gave you the voucher and made a mark on there system about it.

What you want to do is theft and if you do it you are as bad as someone who shoplifts out of the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Well anyway, I decided not to use it, I've burnt it. Can't blame me for thinking about it though.

I don't agree though, samreen, that the manager was nice to me or treated me properly, first changing the laces to ones I didn't want or ask for (the laces were a major feature and changing them changed the whole fit) and then being rude when I asked for an exchange when I realised that he had altered them. (he actually started yelling, "You can't have an exchange just because you decide you don't like them!" even though he had changed them from what I paid for and I didn't discover the difference until I got home and unwrapped them. Then I had to actually argue for my right to change them and he was really rude about it all the way through.)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Didnt you have a thread about that at the time? Either way, you seem to have got the value of your money even if they werent nice about it. Im glad you decided not to use the voucher, it was something youd already had and could have blown up in your face.

Advertisement