Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dvd drive not reading discs

• 06-05-2010 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

I am trying to help a friend with a sony vaio nr11z/s with window vista home premium
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/product-description/B000X42NB2/ref=dp_proddesc_0?ie=UTF8&n=560798&s=electronics

It has a MAT****A DVD RAM UJ870QJ ATA Device
    The dvd drive will not recognise the dvd's. Tried several and it gives 0 bytes used and 0 bytes remaining. Sometimes it says there is no cd/dvd in the drive when there is

I tried updating drivers and it said they are up to date. I also downloaded an MS tool to check it and it could find no issue. Any suggestion will be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Have you tried a CD cleaner. I had a friend brought his laptop to me with the same problem. The CD cleaner sorted it. If anybody smokes a lot around the laptop the CD lenses will get dirty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

I THINK HE MEANS A DVD lens cleaning kit.

What other programs are open on the pc that access the drive? i.e media players, cd rippers etc
    Thay can lock access to the drive and produce the symptoms you describe.

ricman wrote: »
    I THINK HE MEANS A DVD lens cleaning kit.
    Dont be so anal, its obvious he means lens cleaner and keep your voice down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭ClonmelHills

david7536 wrote: »
    What other programs are open on the pc that access the drive? i.e media players, cd rippers etc
    Thay can lock access to the drive and produce the symptoms you describe.
    Tried it with all other progs closed. Might try cleaner. Thanks. Here is the MS tool if anyone needs it
    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭ClonmelHills

Ok I cleaned it but still won't read some

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

Sounds like a dead/faulty drive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Clean it again ,leave tray open to dry lens , try again after 20mins.You could replace the drive ,or buy a usb dvdrom drive in maplins/peats.
    Theres cd lens cleaning kits, and dvd cleaning kits, no point using a cd cleaning kit .They cost around 5 euro approx.

Advertisement