If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optimal viewing distance

Options
  • 06-05-2010 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi Folks,

I fancy a new TV and am tempted by the Philips range. Was speaking with a mate and he is trying to disuade me from buying the biggest screen I can afford. He tells me that we have about 8 feet to play with between the TV and the couch and he recommends a 32 and a 37 inch at the maximum. Casting aside the temptation to sell me a big TV :) what do you guys usually recommend?

Thanks! oreillykm

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

oreillykm wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I fancy a new TV and am tempted by the Philips range. Was speaking with a mate and he is trying to disuade me from buying the biggest screen I can afford. He tells me that we have about 8 feet to play with between the TV and the couch and he recommends a 32 and a 37 inch at the maximum. Casting aside the temptation to sell me a big TV :) what do you guys usually recommend?

Thanks! oreillykm

OReilly,

conventional wisdom on this subject is being kicked around a bit at the moment as 1080P Full HD is becoming more prevelant meaning that the percieved quality is maintained even when sitting close to the screen - The bottom line now really is that it's a matter of personal preference and of course interior design comes into it as well.

However there are lots of resources on-line to assist your decision - I think this one is sensible (however they do say that you can get away with a 65" TV at 8.5 feet)

In Europe at 8 feet I would say that the common screen size is now 37-42" and I think that you would be happy with that unless you are a mad gamer.

Keep me posted if we can assist in any way of if you have any other queries..

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

oreillykm wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Thanks! oreillykm

My 2 cents....

Pick a 37", 42" and 50" TV model. Go to there websites, and get dimensions.

Then get some newspaper or cardboard and cellotape, make a mock-up of the size, and stick it on the wall or have someone hold it up. This is a cheap way to give you a sense of whether its to big or not. Can it ever be too big though...I think not ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Invincible

eddiem74 wrote: »
    My 2 cents....

Then get some newspaper or cardboard and cellotape, make a mock-up of the size, and stick it on the wall or have someone hold it up.

Better stick some newspaper or cardboard out at a diagional about 4 feet from the wall as well to allow for 3D....;)

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

I always use the chart attached.

• Advertisement

Guys,

Just thinking about it - may be best to post this on the general HE Forums as well - get a wider selection of advice there - however of course my considered professional advice is that any thing over 3 feet distance DEMANDS at least a 50"....;)

ATB,

John Mc

• Registered Users Posts: 33 oreillykm

Thanks for all the great advice - I will do a cut out from some paper. I now have an expert justification to go for a bigger TV. Now to convince the missus.....

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭vinniemac

2.5 times the diagonal of the screen is often quoted as the ideal viewing distance

• Registered Users Posts: 33 oreillykm

Okay, so I did the whole cardboard cut out thing and it looks like 37 inch is the way to go. Next question, we have 2 kids under 2 and I feel that the soft screen of an lcd will be too vulnerable - so can I get a 37-40 inch full HD plasma from you guys? Can you pls give me a couple of options to consider and do you deliver plasmas of that size to wicklow?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.