Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photography on the Internet

• 06-05-2010 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭

Strange, but I'm beginning to tire of photography on the internet.

Not getiing tired of photography per se, but just the proliferation of stuff on the internet. Personally, still take as much as I ever did, still as happy/challenged by it all etc.

Seriously considering bowing out of the internet stuff though. Just attend exhibitions, buy books, make prints, show my stuff to a few friends who maybe interested. More or less as it used to be.

any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

I'm concentrating mainly on my website at the minute and Flickr/Pix etc are put on the back burner. Also working for an agency based in the UK now will mean I have even less time to stick stuff up on the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

I understand what you mean. The proliferation of photography on the Internet has taken some of the magic away. I guess, like anything, familiarity breeds contempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Lately, it's very seldom that I post picts to flickr/pix. I do post the majority of what I do on my own website.

I know what you mean though.

I do photography for my own enjoyment. When I stop enjoying it, I'll probably stop it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

It's the overload on the internet that kills it for me sometimes. As in: everybody can post any picture of anything online whereever they want, be it flickr, pixie,, a blog etc. And in fairness, I'd say about 75% of those images I could not care less about - as most of them would be family snaps or crappy shots of something that is supposidly interesting.

Bringing me to the point that Covey said: alltough exhibitions, books, prints etc probably mean they are an "elite" sort of photography, this is where the interesting stuff happens. Where the real photography happens. Again - much of this would be subjective - but I personally find the non-webbased photography less present (i.e. less overload) and much more interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Well speaking as a proliferator, who only (re)took up photography in the era of pix/flickr etc. sincere apologies!

What can I say? I'm a shallow animal... I like to get a 'thanks' on boards, and a 'vote' on pix every now and again, gives a little boost to my overall joy level, and in the end of the day, isn't that what life is all about? I also see things by other people, appreciate a good shot, and hopefully learn a little from them, give a thumbs up, or a vote, and share the love.

If it feels good, do it, if it don't, don't.

• Advertisement

Ah sure, that's the case for all of us! And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

But I get more "emotional reactions" when flicking through books or seeing framed prints (traditional media as such), then when browsing through the overload of places on the web, which sometimes proves to be so much work and effort to finally arrive at a batch of images where you go "Wow".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Well speaking as a proliferator, who only (re)took up photography in the era of pix/flickr etc. sincere apologies!

What can I say? I'm a shallow animal... I like to get a 'thanks' on boards, and a 'vote' on pix every now and again, gives a little boost to my overall joy level, and in the end of the day, isn't that what life is all about? I also see things by other people, appreciate a good shot, and hopefully learn a little from them, give a thumbs up, or a vote, and share the love.

If it feels good, do it, if it don't, don't.

Just throwing it out there, not getting at anyone. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I understand completely, I try to earmark a day a week to either go out and shoot something I really like and get a picture printed from it or learn something new (watch a video/read a book)

Easy to get lost in the internet and not have anything tangible at the end of it bar some 0's and 1's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

If you're just looking at popular images or Flickr or whatever I can see how their homogeneity might become tiresome, but if you actually follow some specific photographers who post sparingly and maintain a high level of quality I don't see how that could be overwhelming purely because you have a very granular control over whose images you see. Furthermore, you can also choose to follow another person's favourite photographs, so if you come across someone who has an interesting or similar taste in photography, you can follow photographs that they deem interesting.

I think we can all do with a break from the endless cavalcade of nauseating "bokeh shots", flowers, scantily clad pretty ladies in natural light possibly holding a vintage camera, and over-processed landscapes. Well, maybe not the scantily clad pretty ladies.

I think I would've missed out on a lot of photography I quite like had I limited myself to exhibitions I had physical access to or books that were available to me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i find the internet it a mixed bag. You put something up, and you get comments from pros, beginners, and all inbetween. from the folk who like to help, to the folk who like to slate. Been doin the shizz for bout 5 years, posting, getting c and c, yada yada. but i think you pass a point where other peoples opinions are irrelevant, its more about ones own view, I'm moving into that area myself... and the whole internet sharing is getting a bit mneh. tho i still do it as theres certain peoples opinions i do respect and theydo give valuable insight...

• Advertisement

charybdis wrote: »
    If you're just looking at popular images or Flickr or whatever I can see how their homogeneity might become tiresome, but if you actually follow some specific photographers who post sparingly and maintain a high level of quality I don't see how that could be overwhelming purely because you have a very granular control over whose images you see. Furthermore, you can also choose to follow another person's favourite photographs, so if you come across someone who has an interesting or similar taste in photography, you can follow photographs that they deem interesting.

I think we can all do with a break from the endless cavalcade of nauseating "bokeh shots", flowers, scantily clad pretty ladies in natural light possibly holding a vintage camera, and over-processed landscapes. Well, maybe not the scantily clad pretty ladies.

I think I would've missed out on a lot of photography I quite like had I limited myself to exhibitions I had physical access to or books that were available to me.

I'm pretty choosey about what I access tbh, most of it filtered out over a long period. I even like some of those granular shots :D:p

Still, I'm thinking reality might be a better option. just me:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

I think the internet makes things too easy and less personal.

Nothing beats a large print on a wall, IMHO.

Even books do it so much better. At the weekend I was flicking through the "Wildlife Photographer of the Year" book, now I'd seen some of the images before online, but they just looked better in print. I was able to take the time to look at each one. Where as the temptation on the internet is to click past and fast.

The internet is grand for getting comments on your personal work. But for the most part you are just one in a long line of submitters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

I find deviantart is good. Event though a lot of people give out of the abundance of crap that are uploaded to it but I like it and have come across surreal, very inspirational and original stuff on it.

I agree though that nothing beats an original print.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

It depends on what you look at on the internet. Surely if you view/read/watch the same type of content, or at least the same standard of content, on the net as you would find in physical media then there is not discernible difference!? I understand that you are talking about the proliferation of content on the net but I find it quite easy to filter most of that out tbh. I follow specific blogs of photographers I like, I read articles from sites and blogs that I have been recommended and found to be along my lines of interest. Also there are certain people on here when I see their pics and like them, I'll have a gander at their pix/flikr etc. It may have become diluted with mediocrity but the immediacy of it is what makes is so worth while. You don't like something, you've only wasted seconds, not hours or money.

The other great thing about photography on the internet is that it's easier to open yourself up to a new branch of photography, be it macro, portraits, street photography etc. Things that you may not have had an interest in and therefore would not have paid money or spent the time to research if physical media was your only source.

That said I will still visit exhibitions and buy magazines and books. The internet will never replace them but it works quite nicely along side them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Covey wrote: »

Not getiing tired of photography per se, but just the proliferation of stuff on the internet. Personally, still take as much as I ever did, still as happy/challenged by it all etc.

Seriously considering bowing out of the internet stuff though. Just attend exhibitions, buy books, make prints, show my stuff to a few friends who maybe interested. More or less as it used to be.

any comments?

I agree with where your coming from Covey.
    I am by no means the greatest photographer in the world, (before anyone thinks im getting on my high horse) but i find myself becoming more and more annoyed with what seems to pass as "great" within the realms of the internet.
    Over processed HDR/Tonemapping, ridiculously oversaturated sunsets...cat pictures and selective colouring, examples of "trends" which are created by sites such as flickr etc.

An old friend of mines used to slag off Camera Clubs, saying that they created a certain style of photographer who sticks by certain rules and guidlines because their peer group pats them on the back. And while i dont entirely agree with him, i can see his point to an extent...especially as now the internet has turned the whole world into one big camera club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I prefer to see Irish DIY stuff here and on Pix.ie rather than follow someone 'famous' in books and the like, then again I'm much earlier in my photography cycle life then Covey but again I cannot ever see myself following a famous photographer via books/videos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I suppose like any hobby the interest will fall off now and again. And thats not such a bad thing really 'cos one can become set in ones ways. We all need something new now and again to renew our interest. Before I found Flickr, Boards and Pix I used to think when I took a photo of some place that it was the first time it was captured. But really everything you snap has been done a thousand times before and so its nice to see someone elses take on a photo you have. Thats why I love looking at photos on the internet. If I tire of it I leave it for another day.
    Looking back in time we probably have had numerous hobbies that we don't have now 'cos we became bored with them and moved on. I suppose we need a challenge to keep our interest in any hobby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I find most people are all about their own stuff and couldn't give a fiddler's about other good stuff out there [amongst all the crap]

I don't think C&C is even genuine anymore, some people are just bitter and like to slate anything that isn't their own for the sake of it. Others just praise anything that's not a blur [or will say "nice DOF" on every blurry image :D ]

Also, challenging discussion isn't encouraged like it used to be online. Too quick heated topics get shut down because everyone's gone so PC and righteous. It's a bit ... be nice and brown nose, or get yer coat.

This is everywhere, Flickr, here, other sites too.

I shoot for my own pleasure, and I don't feel the need to follow a certain route/path/style/manner - if people like my stuff, bonus :cool:

I still read the mags and the odd book, and sometimes I'd much rather watch a documentary or tutorial from genuinely great photographers than just get random comments online. But there is a place for that too. It's a great outlet. Without it being 'back in' online, or without the net at all, you'd never get your stuff out there to so many. You gotta take the rough with the smooth.

Just carry a bucket of salt around with you [virtually]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

There is a component of the ART of photography that is kind of missing on the web. There's definitely something to be said for directly sharing your work with people who matter to you... and something to be said for things like having it hanging on your wall..without having to have batteries, nor being plugged in. :)

Definitely in terms of this forum things are starting to go south, a lot of people with axes to grind and the subjects can be shut down very quickly by a snide comment. People have to remember that everybody has to start somewhere.

I would disagree about heated topics getting shut down because of PC or people being righteous, they are shut down because they either go off topic or have run their course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭ianflynn

This is the digital age, everything is going that way, including photography. embrace it :p

Borderfox wrote: »
    Definitely in terms of this forum things are starting to go south, a lot of people with axes to grind and the subjects can be shut down very quickly by a snide comment. People have to remember that everybody has to start somewhere.

I would disagree about heated topics getting shut down because of PC or people being righteous, they are shut down because they either go off topic or have run their course

To be Frank [though I don't like that name :D ] They get shut down for little or nothing at times. Often they're the only topic worth continuing at the time because there's nothing wrong with a little debate. But, meh, who cares? Life's too short to care about over the top moderation.

There are people about who don't like people who speak their minds. Simple. but you get that in lot of places. PC was the wrong term, but I don't think they like you saying 'up their own ... you know whats' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Anyway, back on topic...

I've found myself spending more and more time lately looking at photography books. Books of prints rather than instructional books, and especially the Phaidon 55 series. There's something very satisfying about having the time to absorb the details in a printed image that the hyperactive kaleidoscope of the Internet can't match.

My current go to book is the Eugene Richards Phaidon 55 (with thanks to Sineadw for pointing me in his direction)

We were on topic, in a way. The state of photography online ... including the forums :P

I want to buy some nice books myself, I often stop at the photography section in Easons and browse through them. But they're so expensive! last one I took a fancy to was almost €40.

I buy 2 magazines a month and have a look down in the library every now and again.

I think one thing that I really enjoy is seeing my pictures in prints rather than on a screen, I am a tactile person and theres something satisifying about touchy feely prints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

any comments?

I'm not getting tired of photography on the internet per se; but I find myself getting overwhelmed by the sheer volume of it. For sometime now I've been content to post my own stuff and look at a select amount of work from a bunch of selected photographers.

I can't explore a planet on my own. I need guidance. But photography on the web is almost a Jupiter sized planet and I cannot manage it.

I would be disappointed not to see your photography coming at me regularly though Covey. I find it very striking and touching. I guess a lot depends on why you take the photos in the first place.

I do get what you're saying about books. I think part of it is the pure physical touch of paper in some respects. And there's some versatility on a book page in terms of presentation that I don't get so much with a screen as it exists now.

I buy 2 magazines a month and have a look down in the library every now and again.

I think one thing that I really enjoy is seeing my pictures in prints rather than on a screen, I am a tactile person and theres something satisifying about touchy feely prints.

Which mags do you buy/would you recommend? I buy Practical photography, used to buy the odd other one but forget the names. I was doing the modules for their dslr course but I get a bit lazy and miss the deadlines.

Also need to print more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

We were on topic, in a way. The state of photography online ... including the forums :P

I want to buy some nice books myself, I often stop at the photography section in Easons and browse through them. But they're so expensive! last one I took a fancy to was almost €40.

If you are interested in the photography section of bookshops I strongly recommend Hodges Figgis on Dawson Street rather than Easons whose collection is limited. YOu will also - from time to time - find good photography books remaindered - ie cheap - in Chapters on Parnell Street. Amazon is also your friend, as is, occasionally Play.

There is also a book specialising in art/photography books on South William Street. It's not spectacular on the photography front. There is a bookshop also attached to Temple Bar Gallery of Photography and the bookshop at the National Gallery also sells some photography books.

In terms of magazines, my preference is for National Geographic.

Cheers, I pass through Dub now and then, must have a look. I thought about joining the library also, not sure what range they'll have on the subject, but worth a shot.

Nat-Geo always has amazing photos for sure. But I find in the photo mags, the exif data helps a lot for me, especially regarding landscapes, which I think is my biggest weakness.

• Advertisement

Which mags do you buy/would you recommend? I buy Practical photography, used to buy the odd other one but forget the names. I was doing the modules for their dslr course but I get a bit lazy and miss the deadlines.

Also need to print more.

I buy Professional Photographer (uk one) and Digital Photo Pro. Tried the others but these two give good business advice too revelant to my sphere of operation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Now that my website is almost as easy to upload images too, as pix.ie, I find my self uploading photo's from sports events, press etc to my site to show samples. It seems easier for me cause there's very little traffic to my site( well there is but nothing like that of pix.ie!) and means I can access it quickly.

Plus I've built it myself so it feels good to put it to use :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ihastakephoto

I think i may be saturated a little too. Time for a break? Take some time off, forget about the non-stop monotonous noise that is (boardsies/twitterers/flickr'rs) pop in after a while say hello, if its missed, stay a while, if not....then its probably not worth the hassle.
    Either way Covey please keep the blog going, and go to the walks and tweet that you're ok every once in a while, oh and let us know when your books are being published. :o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

@thecageyone The Phaidon 55 series is worth a look on Amazon or wherever, 55 images each in a small but nicely presented book from a wide range of photographers from a huge time span, mostly around a fiver sterling or less.

As I said, it's nice to have the opportunity to take a little time to appreciate the quality of the work that these photographers have produced :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I feel that the forums are not what they were anymore, I tend to find I will look at maybe three sites on a regular basis and that is it. I do like this forum and the friendliness of it but it is starting to get a bit stagnent. With the same style of threads coming up again and again.
    Granted it is a small community but I would like to see a little more photography and little less gear advice.
    When I get dragged into town I find I will head to chapters (bless the guy who put the sofa near the photography section) and just browse through the books, while herself does what she does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

There is absolutely no substitute for a print. End of story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

any comments?

yeah , know what you mean Covey, I remember when I started here Noah bowed out of the iinternet completly , I didn't understand it at the time, I do now - I guess like all things the internet is good and bad , without the intenet many of us would never get a book out without a publisher etc . the do it yourself attitude is great - looking at music , it makes starting off a band easy - myspace/marketing/itunes but the downside is , holdinf and lookingan mp3 album is as exciting as updating your latest software - the magic at an album/cd cover is lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

sineadw wrote: »
    There is absolutely no substitute for a print. End of story.

I really do agree with this

I do find it sometimes hard all the stuff on the internet, but i really find it interesting to see stuff on the net, but would rather see some of them as prints

a decent size print on nice paper etc is just sooooooo different to seeing it on the internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

So you are going to grumble about it on the Internet :)

It seems to me as if you are still enjoying your hobby. The Internet is just another
    medium like books, magazines, TV etc... You can get involved with photo sharing
    sites and web forums if you want, or you can choose to ignore them.

It looks like you are leaning towards ignoring the Internet. That is your choice,
    although many of us would miss your contributions to this forum if you decided
    to pull the plug.
    any comments?

I have seen similar debates before in forums dedicated to one of my other
    hobbies. There is a vast amount of information related to amateur radio on
    the Internet. You could easily spend all of your spare time in web or usenet
    forums and never find time to build or even use a radio. By plugging a cheap
    headset into the back of your computer, you can enjoy instant, reliable and
    almost free communications with people all over the world. You don't need
    to understand how it works, you don't need to build anything, just plug it in
    and fire up your VOIP software. Who needs amateur radio?

The internet has had a significant impact on photography, amateur radio and
    many other hobbies. The web is a very compulsive medium, it is easy to get
    drawn into spending hours playing with your computer instead of taking
    photographs, building a new radio or whatever your hobby happens to be.
    With the proliferation of mobile broadband, the Internet will be even more
    pervasive in the future. It won't be long until all new cameras have both
    GPS and broadband capability and many of us will choose to spend every
    waking minute of every day playing with our electronic toys, even while
    at work or driving our electric cars!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I think anything which is so pervasive will only hold your attention for so long before it becomes the mundane - you'll get bored of it. For example with the web I used to be highly enthused about tech news / tech happenings - now its so meh..., Yesterday for example, one of the media outlets which I followed were publishing the 'latest breaking news' which was at least 24 hours out of date - and they are now doing this regularly - ffs...., so why would I stay following that media agency. I get my tech fix at least 24hours ahead of them it would appear.

I think photography is no different. I've no extensive book collection but I wonder if I had would books then become in the "meh..." category - the obvious difference being the internet is on tap whilst you'll be more choosey with your books as there is a direct financial association with your purchases. Obviously not so on the net. Aligned to this point - I've stopped buying photography magazines except for rare occasions because of the repetition that can be found in them - it is really a quick cycle - better landscapes, perfect portraits, black and whites - all these only to be repeated within 12-14 months.

Essentially, I think you are right. If something aint floating your boat then it probably isn't worth the effort. Life is way too short it would appear and there has to be way more interesting things to do with your/our lives.

/2c dropped :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,401 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I really like looking around flickr or browsing some of the groups but there an endless supply of interesting photos so after a short while my attention will shift to something else. Boards is probably the only place where theres a reasonable stream of stuff to keep an interest in and not too much... which could make it tiring trying to follow. Also just being able to stick a thanks on a photo or post you like or enjoy can make it easy to show an interest without having to comment or fav it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I hear you Covey, I only post on flickr now if I need to host an image, just havent got the interest for it anymore. I think when you are starting out it feels good to have the thanks and the views but now I'm just happy to get paid for my work. I like reading the threads here still and sometimes commenting on c&c threads but I rarely look at the random thread, as much as I like to see other peoples work I do rather seeing it in print than on screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I buy Professional Photographer (uk one) and Digital Photo Pro. Tried the others but these two give good business advice too revelant to my sphere of operation

Do you find that professional photographer is always late since christmas ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭eobphotography

i LOVE the internet for photography, I never look at flickr though or any really amature sites, thats like looking through other peoples holiday snaps ( of course there are some exceptions to this) but online magazines like the photgraphy post, supermasive black hole, and the source, photoworks and aperture etc sites always throw up some amazing new stuff and some classic old stuff. If you find the right sites there is great stuff online. Mind you nothing beats a gallery or a good photo book.

This not a debate about which one is "better", traditional media (print) or modern technology, as it is one of those neverending debates (like Pix VS Flickr, SRL vs DSRL etc).

It's more so a "feel" or an emotional connection, that I find comes easier when actually having the print in front of you, be it in the form of a book, in a magazine or hanging on a wall. A feeling which occurs a lot less when I am flicking through pictures online. Eventhough they might well be the exact same image.

As for printed recommendations, I believe the WorldPressPhoto 2010 book is out, I find it very inspirational of what is possible in photography. I'm also a big fan of the Photography Ireland yearbook as it shows the best work of Irish photographers and absolutely stunning images.

Hate to compare again, but Flickr is much better than Pix for interaction at least. It's a struggle to get a comment on pix, let alone the fact there's zero other interaction.

Flickr has it's pros and cons, but it's been mostly great to me since I started to take this 'tog stuff serious, last summer. You can't really go on comments, the discussion groups is where it's at. Just stick to ones relevant to your style/camera/taste etc ... avoid the ones that just dish out flashy trophies and make you 'award' 15 others when you add an image.

yeah. There's about 25 threads on this forums dedicated to that. This is not one of those.

sNarah wrote: »
    yeah. There's about 25 threads on this forums dedicated to that. This is not one of those.

And? This is about photography in general on the net, so it is very much On topic. What exactly has your comment contributed? ....

And? This is about photography in general on the net, so it is very much On topic. What exactly has your comment contributed? ....

We treasure every comment around here equally :cool:

Do we? Grand - though I do wonder why mine continuously get bashed, even when on topic :D

The way I see it, in a nut - without the net, many of us would have no outlet to show our stuff. Stick with it,. ignore the crap and concentrate on the good stuff.

Do we? Grand - though I do wonder why mine continuously get bashed, even when on topic :D.

It's the way you tell 'em :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement