Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bars in Athlone - worth a peek?

Options
  • 06-05-2010 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭

Hi

I see there are a couple of new places opened up - anyone seen these yet?

Must admit i missed Rayners - liked the layout (and most of clientele up until towards the end when it got a bit rough)

Are the new spots any good? I guess hard to see whether they have any longterm value after the Johnny and Joanny come latelys move on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Was in both of them over the weekend.

JD's (Rayners) - Terrible spot, Id'd at the door, 27 although I look about 50. Then had a coupon for a free shot, they promptly informed me at the bar that the free shot was mickey finns. Thats not much of a shot. And then to top it off, I was short changed at the bar by €20. I said this to the bar man and he said, oh sorry and took €20 without hesitation or questioning, out of the till and handed it to me. So i read into this one of 2 things. A) the bar staff are complete idiots and can't count change when the place is dead or B) he tried to screw me. I feel it is probably that they are idiots. All this happened with 5 minutes of going in. I won't be going there again, and friends said the same. And the funny thing is we were the only people in the place and still couldn't get treated properly. I'd hate to see what the service would be like if they were busy.

Now Richard Graces (biddys) is a serious spot. The complete opposite of above. Good live music, Great variety in bottle beers and cocktails. Very clean, very well staffed. Polite, neat and tidy staff, and brilliant service. They would bring your round of drinks down to your table. Big smoking area. I have actually been back 3 times since. And I will be trying to convince my mates to go there on a night out. I would go as far to say best pub in Athlone. Really what the town needed. Hopefully it stays that way, and doesn't let standards slip after a few months etc.

Thats my take on it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

I've heard the opposite of what boredatwork82 has said, although can't say the experience was my own. I was in JD's (rayners) for a quick drink with some friends, thought it was fine, didn't even bother going up stairs to have a look as it was a quick drink, will be giving it a proper try after the exams are over.

Will be trying out Richard Graces as well, I like the sounds of them having a good selection of beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭molloyjazz

Has Richard Graces got the old Biddies crowd frequenting it? ... is it a new crowd that has JD's or the same that had it when it was Raynors?

Its a new crowd that have JD's, rumour has it they are focusing on food.

No Richard Graces has been different people each night. I think it is still trying to carve out its own section of the market. It'll be a new crowd, hopefully.
    I stayed in this weekend, but I am curious on how they are getting on.

I think the old biddys crowd that you refer to may have moved up durty harrys or 41's.

Its a new crowd that have JD's, rumour has it they are focusing on food.

No Richard Graces has been different people each night. I think it is still trying to carve out its own section of the market. It'll be a new crowd, hopefully.
    I stayed in this weekend, but I am curious on how they are getting on.

I think the old biddys crowd that you refer to may have moved up durty harrys or 41's.

yeah there not the worse.. ill have to give RG's a try so and maybe raynors for food.. it will always be raynors to me! damn u chris moran!

• Advertisement

Yeah giive them both a try.
    I was chatting to one of the lads today. said the food in Richard Graces was savage. He also ate in JD's last week and said it was good.
    Come other people - try it out. I am curious to hear what other people think of the 2 pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭slowharry

what beers have they got in the new biddies

They had Kastell Gru - nice
    Grolsh
    Some dark mexican beer, reminded me of pacifico but by this stage i was too drunk and can't remember it and one other one.
    They have a menu board of them, so they must have loads more.
    I must say though that I did like the Kastell Gru!
    Along with copious amounts of cocktails, of course! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 eirestudent

the new crowd in richards is nothing like the old biddys crowd they are just normal people no scumbags .the food is really nice and cheap enough even for a student like myself.the staff are dead sound you might think that the place is real posh because they wear ties but its just like a normal pub and drink is actually cheaper than jds.the beer garden is huge and really clean

Jds is alright for a bottle or 2 but the pints:pac: aren't great the staff are nice enough but dont stand up to richards.

I gave both pubs a go and prefer richard graces by far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

All the way.... JD's is targeting the 41's crowd... exact same inside. Changed a bit of wallpaper. No locks on toilet cubicles the first night... Now wouldn't ya think they would get that sorted first?

• Advertisement

On the first night I was in Richard graces there was no locks on the toilets, but the doors were still with wet paint. I'll forgive them that. Can't put locks onto wet paint. Opening night. - like all new business's, no matter how well planned they are you will never have enough time to get everything done before you open. Just the way it is.
    I better stop praising/defending/selling the place... you'd swear I worked there, by the way I don't!

So anyone got any other pub stuff info in Athlone.
    Heard another pub might be moving into Potters.

It'd be good to see a bit of life down around that part of town again.
    Nothing like running into supermacs for an auld burger between rounds. For some reason I would eat supermacs when out drinking, but no where else. Maybe its the fact that its quicker and has seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

ah but you'll be able to order food in either Richards or JD's ;)
    ...ok maybe not at 12 at night :P

Heading to Richard Graces on Friday for a bit of a session, looking forward to it actually :D

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

I was in both a few times. Prefer RG's to JD's. Both on food and on drink. savage smoking area in RG's it must hold 150 id say its nearly bigger than the pub itself!!

il not dismiss jds yet but so far its not my cuppa tay, maybe when they have the cobwebs sorted it'll be nice. the food used to be lovely when it was raynors

so RG's is the new raynors and JD's is the new biddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

correct and right. Richard Graces was Biddys and J.D.'s was Raynors. anyone know what JD stands 4? its the same owners as PV's in Longford town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 spar

Hey
    I was just wondering what kind of bars do people between the ages of 24-35 want in Athlone?

What music and entertainment do you look for?
    Is there any places that do a wide selection of international beers and great cocktails?
    any feedback would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

spar wrote: »
    Hey
    I was just wondering what kind of bars do people between the ages of 24-35 want in Athlone?

What music and entertainment do you look for?
    Is there any places that do a wide selection of international beers and great cocktails?
    any feedback would be great

27 nearly 28 me

Graces is probably as good as it gets right now with International beers, good atmosphere, big smoking area for all my joker friends. Location isnt brill but overall the best of the new bunch

Atmosphere (good jukebox, comfy chairs and good staff) all provided by the Shack minus the good smoking facilities but i generally stay inside anyway if anyoen goes out.

Seans is cat and generally a lazy bar for people to go to who cant be bothered to look for a good bar. Gerties is ok-ish.

Advertisement