Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 improvements to make cork even better

Options
  • 06-05-2010 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

If you could make 3 improvements to Cork City to make it an even better place to live than it is already what would they be? Large or small!

Personally mine would be
    (1) Build an events centre!
    (2) Turn Beamish & Crawford into a brewing musem / micro brewery and bar.
    (3) Get a decent new nightclub and change the licencing hours to at lease match those in Dublin (3.30am)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Welcome to Boards.ie!!!

Use the search function. These threads have been done over and over and over...

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Hogzy wrote: »
    Welcome to Boards.ie!!!

Use the search function. These threads have been done over and over and over...

Don't mind her - ball on!

I'd agree with all 3 - don't get me started on Cork nightlife again though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Municple Stadium/Events Arena.

Woop. post number 1000 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

It's funny how the dubs always give out about us having chips on our shoulders, yet the majority of the time (at least on these boards) they are the ones whinging about us.

Irony anyone?? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

doodd wrote: »
    If you could make 3 improvements to Cork City to make it an even better place to live than it is already what would they be? Large or small!

Personally mine would be
    (1) Build an events centre!
    (2) Turn Beamish & Crawford into a brewing musem / micro brewery and bar.
    (3) Get a decent new nightclub and change the licencing hours to at lease match those in Dublin (3.30am)

1. Instead of building a 60,000 seater GAA Stadium and having it empty except once in a blue moon selling out. They should build 40000 seater studium with the best of comforts. And use it for concerts, Rugby, GAA and soccer.
    Chances of happening are probably nil with the GAA involved.
    2. Couldn't agree more, but it looks they are going to leave it idol for the time being. Same as the Grand Parade Hotel and the Capital cinema. The sickening thing is NAMA is probably allowing the developers more time to hold on to these sites rather than making them sell it on to somebody that would do something with them.
    3. 3 am is fine for me, personally I think night life is fairly good in Cork. The city centre is compact so its only 30 mins walk to any pub in the city centre once you are there. Is the Everyman still going til 4? Havent been there in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

1. A tram system.
    2. Some kind of Nitelink like in Dublin.
    3. An events centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

The only important improvement cork needs is an end to discrimination against skateboarders via removal of those nasty metal blocks on those ledges. It's practically racism. Anyone who disagrees is a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

raah! wrote: »
    The only important improvement cork needs is an end to discrimination against skateboarders via removal of those nasty metal blocks on those ledges. It's practically racism. Anyone who disagrees is a racist.

Then i must be that phelps guy from the US. There's nothing more annoying than some gob****es flying down the footpath on there skateboard expecting people to move out of their way...nor mind the amount of stonework that has been damaged due to them. Ye got yer few parks around the place...stick to um :p

*its meant to be slightly light-hearted :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I would hope that the majority of skateboarders do not do that, and I'm sure you're overreacting to that. They don't want to crash into you just as much as you don't want them to crash into you. Stonework being damaged is absurd, worst case scenario is a slight discolouration, those ledges infront of the library were far more aesthetically damaged by those metal things than any skateboarder ever has. They were used more and appreciated more by skateboarders than they ever have been or ever will be by anyone else. Filthey knacks kick footballs across the entire street, that is far more disruptive than skateboarding.

Herding us into filthey little ghettoes is no solution, nor is it fair. Why should we not be allowed to use the entire city we grew up in?

I shouldn't post this as much I know, but it really does irritate me, I've never deliberately scared anyone on the street, and in my experience the only peopel frightened by skateboards are ignorant old men who ruin the world for everyone with their unnescessary legislation. It is hard for me to treat matters like that light heartedly, as they affect my life so negatively.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Keep it constructive from here on out please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

A Cork Transport Authority. For a city/metro area of it's size Cork has the worst transport system in Europe. It's totally disjointed, the bus service is a joke, nothing is integrated and having companies based in Dublin running our transport system is a farce. I would love to see a proper transport network in Cork becuase the current 'system' is a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭gu10

A second-hand monorail from Soviet Russia!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

gu10 wrote: »
    A second-hand monorail from Soviet Russia!
    0.jpg

this guy will sort you out:D

nah seriously we need a permanent place for concerts, the marquee attracts some big acts but im sure there would be plenty more in cork with a proper place for gigs,
    im not sure do other posters mean this by saying an event centre:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Forced city takeover of Parc Ui Choimh for use as a municipal city stadium available to all (this of course would need to be refurbished and proper stands and seating installed.

Removal of those crud lights that blight St. Patrick's Street and a public apology from their designer including a session in a plunge tank where citizens could make their feelings known.

The completion of the North Ring: Come on already FFS, flatlanders have had it for 15 years or so what about the beautiful part of Cork getting a proper road to keep the skangers off the surface streets.

Fast swift and effective PASSPORT CONTROL!

Advertisement